2002-07-08 14:59:39

by Andries E. Brouwer

Subject: IDE, util-linux

Yesterday util-linux 2.11t was released.
As always, comments are welcome.

Wanted to continue some usb-storage work on 2.5 and
recklessly booted 2.5.25. It survived for several hours,
then deadlocked. Two filesystems turned out to be corrupted.
Wouldn't mind if the rock solid 2.4 handling of HPT366
was carefully copied to 2.5, that today quickly causes
corruption and quickly deadlocks or crashes.
[Yes, these are independent bugs. The fact that the current
IDE code writes to random disk sectors is much more annoying
than the fact that it crashes and deadlocks. This random
writing is observed only on disks on the HPT366 card.]

Andries

Subject: Re: IDE, util-linux

Don't run vanilla 2.5.25, it has only IDE-93...

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002 [email protected] wrote:

> Yesterday util-linux 2.11t was released.
> As always, comments are welcome.
>
> Wanted to continue some usb-storage work on 2.5 and
> recklessly booted 2.5.25. It survived for several hours,
> then deadlocked. Two filesystems turned out to be corrupted.
> Wouldn't mind if the rock solid 2.4 handling of HPT366
> was carefully copied to 2.5, that today quickly causes
> corruption and quickly deadlocks or crashes.
> [Yes, these are independent bugs. The fact that the current
> IDE code writes to random disk sectors is much more annoying
> than the fact that it crashes and deadlocks. This random
> writing is observed only on disks on the HPT366 card.]
>
> Andries

2002-07-08 16:41:46

by Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk

What patches should I use?
Where are they?

> Don't run vanilla 2.5.25, it has only IDE-93...
>
> On Mon, 8 Jul 2002 [email protected] wrote:
> > Yesterday util-linux 2.11t was released.
> > As always, comments are welcome.
> >
> > Wanted to continue some usb-storage work on 2.5 and
> > recklessly booted 2.5.25. It survived for several hours,
> > then deadlocked. Two filesystems turned out to be corrupted.
> > Wouldn't mind if the rock solid 2.4 handling of HPT366
> > was carefully copied to 2.5, that today quickly causes
> > corruption and quickly deadlocks or crashes.
> > [Yes, these are independent bugs. The fact that the current
> > IDE code writes to random disk sectors is much more annoying
> > than the fact that it crashes and deadlocks. This random
> > writing is observed only on disks on the HPT366 card.]
> >
> > Andries
>
> -

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, Datavaktmester

Computers are like air conditioners.

by Andries E. Brouwer

>> recklessly booted 2.5.25. It survived for several hours,
>> then deadlocked. Two filesystems turned out to be corrupted.
>> Wouldn't mind if the rock solid 2.4 handling of HPT366
>> was carefully copied to 2.5

> Don't run vanilla 2.5.25, it has only IDE-93...

Yes. Funny isn't it? Every few weeks the past two or three
months I reported on the status of 2.5 on my hardware.
Always the answer is: yes, we know, the current version is
broken, wait for version N+1.

I hope you noticed the HPT366 part of my letter, and not
only the deadlock part.

Andries

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002 [email protected] wrote:

> >> recklessly booted 2.5.25. It survived for several hours,
> >> then deadlocked. Two filesystems turned out to be corrupted.
> >> Wouldn't mind if the rock solid 2.4 handling of HPT366
> >> was carefully copied to 2.5
>
> > Don't run vanilla 2.5.25, it has only IDE-93...
>
> Yes. Funny isn't it? Every few weeks the past two or three
> months I reported on the status of 2.5 on my hardware.
> Always the answer is: yes, we know, the current version is
> broken, wait for version N+1.

Really not funny and I'm not the guilty one here...

I have just started fixing 2.5 bugs and there is a lot of them...

> I hope you noticed the HPT366 part of my letter, and not
> only the deadlock part.

Yes.

Bartlomiej

2002-07-08 17:19:52

by Andre Hedrick

Andries,

Bart gets it, where others in the past were clueless. He will fix the
gross bug bomb designs, and he will address the HBA issues.

Cheers,

Andre Hedrick
LAD Storage Consulting Group

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002 [email protected] wrote:

> >> recklessly booted 2.5.25. It survived for several hours,
> >> then deadlocked. Two filesystems turned out to be corrupted.
> >> Wouldn't mind if the rock solid 2.4 handling of HPT366
> >> was carefully copied to 2.5
>
> > Don't run vanilla 2.5.25, it has only IDE-93...
>
> Yes. Funny isn't it? Every few weeks the past two or three
> months I reported on the status of 2.5 on my hardware.
> Always the answer is: yes, we know, the current version is
> broken, wait for version N+1.
>
> I hope you noticed the HPT366 part of my letter, and not
> only the deadlock part.
>
> Andries
>
> -

by Thunder from the hill

Hi,

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> What patches should I use?

IDE-95 through 97.

> Where are they?

I have them at ftp://luckynet.dynu.com/pub/linux/2.5.25-ct1/patches/

Regards,
Thunder
--
(Use http://www.ebb.org/ungeek if you can't decode)

2002-07-08 18:57:22

by Martin Dalecki

U?ytkownik [email protected] napisa?:
>>>recklessly booted 2.5.25. It survived for several hours,
>>>then deadlocked. Two filesystems turned out to be corrupted.
>>>Wouldn't mind if the rock solid 2.4 handling of HPT366
>>>was carefully copied to 2.5
>>

>>Don't run vanilla 2.5.25, it has only IDE-93...
>

> Yes. Funny isn't it? Every few weeks the past two or three
> months I reported on the status of 2.5 on my hardware.
> Always the answer is: yes, we know, the current version is
> broken, wait for version N+1.

Actually somtimes it is: Please apply patch so and so...

> I hope you noticed the HPT366 part of my letter, and not
> only the deadlock part.
>
> Andries
>
> -

by Martin Dalecki

U?ytkownik [email protected] napisa?:
> Yesterday util-linux 2.11t was released.
> As always, comments are welcome.
>
> Wanted to continue some usb-storage work on 2.5 and
> recklessly booted 2.5.25. It survived for several hours,
> then deadlocked. Two filesystems turned out to be corrupted.
> Wouldn't mind if the rock solid 2.4 handling of HPT366
> was carefully copied to 2.5, that today quickly causes
> corruption and quickly deadlocks or crashes.
> [Yes, these are independent bugs. The fact that the current
> IDE code writes to random disk sectors is much more annoying
> than the fact that it crashes and deadlocks. This random
> writing is observed only on disks on the HPT366 card.]

Well the point is that the 2.5.25 is well behind whats
going on. It still contains IDE 93, which *is* broken.
Please hunt for IDE 94 + 95 + 96 [without 97]. This should
help. Anyway. My plan is to provide a 98 soon which will
be cummulative against 2.5.25, just to geive people a chance
to work on it again. But as it stands - *plain* 2.5.25 is
indeed very dangerous in this regard.

2002-07-08 20:16:18

by Andries E. Brouwer

> Well the point is that the 2.5.25 is well behind whats going on.

Yes. Maybe I must be patient.

But there has not been a 2.5 kernel the past two months
that worked for me, that booted, stayed up for 24 hours
and did not corrupt filesystems.

> Please hunt for IDE 94 + 95 + 96

I am not interested in going out and searching for patches,
unless you specifically come and say: "I fixed HPT366 access -
both PIO and DMA - the driver again does precisely what 2.4 did -
please try".

Hope to try some other vanilla kernel later.

Andries