2002-08-03 01:00:06

by Hell.Surfers

Subject: how do i integrate my winmodem driver.

I need to know how support for winmodems is added as I am having trouble integrating support for the supra pci winmodem driver i am writing, but im not used to writing drivers for linux, ive written the interface though, im new to linux driver writing, please help!

2002-08-03 01:06:41

by Jeff Garzik

Subject: Re: how do i integrate my winmodem driver.

[email protected] wrote:
> I need to know how support for winmodems is added as I am having trouble integrating support for the supra pci winmodem driver i am writing, but im not used to writing drivers for linux, ive written the interface though, im new to linux driver writing, please help!

Ideally, you can present it as a serial device, and put all the code in
the kernel. Look at other serial drivers in linux/drivers/char. _Linux
Device Drivers_ is a decent book, but doesn't cover the serial/tty
interfaces IIRC. Your best reference is always the kernel source code.

To actually submit a driver, read Documentation/SubmittingDrivers and
Documentation/SubmittingPatches.

Jeff

P.S. Fix your word wrap :)

2002-08-03 12:23:08

by Alan

That depends extensively on the nature of the card. IBM's mwave is
pretty intelligent so the logic is all kernel side. For a dumb winmodem
like the intel 8x0 AC97 stuff it actually makes little sense to put more
in the kernel than the most time critical bits (echo cancellation etc).

It depends what the modem does and doesn't handle itself