2002-08-31 18:34:31

by Michael Obster

Subject: 2.4.19 and binutils 2.13.90.0.3 dont compile

Hi,

can you have a look on that. Seems for me to be a problem with the new
binutils version, because with binutils 2.12.90.0.4 the kernel compiles.
Is there a workaround present?

Kind Regards,
Michael Obster
---
Do you want to rock? ___ ___ ___ _ _
http://www.rocklinux.org/ | _ || _ || __|| |//
||_|||| |||| | /
| _|||_||||__ | \
||\\ |_LINUX__||_|\\

kernel (5.59 kB)

2002-08-31 19:38:54

by Alessandro Suardi

Subject: Re: 2.4.19 and binutils 2.13.90.0.3 dont compile

Michael Obster wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can you have a look on that. Seems for me to be a problem with the new
> binutils version, because with binutils 2.12.90.0.4 the kernel compiles.
> Is there a workaround present?

The best thing you can do is to post the actual error you get...

Anyway, 2.4.20-pre5 is happily built by binutils 2.13.90.0.4
and gcc-3.2.

--alessandro

"everything dies, baby that's a fact
but maybe everything that dies someday comes back"
(Bruce Springsteen, "Atlantic City")

2002-08-31 19:43:30

by Alessandro Suardi

Alessandro Suardi wrote:
> Michael Obster wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> can you have a look on that. Seems for me to be a problem with the new
>> binutils version, because with binutils 2.12.90.0.4 the kernel
>> compiles. Is there a workaround present?
>

> The best thing you can do is to post the actual error you get...

Argh - sorry, I didn't notice the attachment :/

> Anyway, 2.4.20-pre5 is happily built by binutils 2.13.90.0.4
> and gcc-3.2.

Perhaps gcc-2.95.3 and newest binutils don't get along; have
you already tried the very latest binutils ?

--alessandro

"everything dies, baby that's a fact
but maybe everything that dies someday comes back"
(Bruce Springsteen, "Atlantic City")

2002-09-01 03:53:29

by Daniel Jacobowitz

On Sat, Aug 31, 2002 at 08:38:25PM +0200, Michael Obster wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can you have a look on that. Seems for me to be a problem with the new
> binutils version, because with binutils 2.12.90.0.4 the kernel compiles.
> Is there a workaround present?

The attached was a GCC error, the assembler is not even involved. You
may want to check your GCC installations some more.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
MontaVista Software Debian GNU/Linux Developer

2002-09-01 11:37:22

by Michael Obster

Hi,

> The attached was a GCC error, the assembler is not even involved. You
> may want to check your GCC installations some more.

i dont see any error on the gcc installation. it must be a library or
could it be a buggy version of bin86. Have 0.16.8 installed.

Kind Regards,
Michael Obster
---
Do you want to rock? ___ ___ ___ _ _
http://www.rocklinux.org/ | _ || _ || __|| |//
||_|||| |||| | /
| _|||_||||__ | \

by Daniel Jacobowitz

On Sun, Sep 01, 2002 at 01:41:31PM +0200, Michael Obster wrote:
> Hi,
>

> >The attached was a GCC error, the assembler is not even involved. You
> >may want to check your GCC installations some more.
> >
> i dont see any error on the gcc installation. it must be a library or
> could it be a buggy version of bin86. Have 0.16.8 installed.

No, it is definitely an error deliver by GCC based on source code, so
it is a GCC problem.