2002-09-30 07:00:09

by Michael Clark

Subject: Re: v2.6 vs v3.0

On 09/30/02 05:46, Matthias Andree wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Sep 2002, Dave Jones wrote:
>

>>Joe Thornber sent a patch removing LVM1, but LVM2 has yet to
>>make an appearance in 2.5.x patchform afair. LVM is in one of
>>those sneaky positions where they could theoretically cheat
>>the feature freeze, as whats in the tree right now is fubar,
>>and we need /something/ before going 2.6/3.0.
>

> Is not EVMS ready for the show? Is Linux >=2.6 going to have LVM2 and
> EVMS? Or just LVM2? I'm not aware of the current status, but I do recall
> having seen EVMS stable announcements (but not sure about 2.5 status).

From reading the EVMS list, it was working with 2.5.36 a couple weeks
ago but needs some small bio and gendisk changes to work in 2.5.39.

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=1105826&forum_id=2003

CVS version may be up-to-date quite soon from reading the thread.
It seems to be further along in 2.5 support than LVM2 - also including
the fact that EVMS supports LVM1 metadata (which the 2.5 version of LVM2
may not do so quite so soon from mentions on the lvm list).

I haven't tried EVMS but certainly from looking at the feature set,
it looks more comprehensive and modular than LVM (with its support
for multiple metadata personalities).

I too have LVM on quite a few of my machines, including my desktop,
and if I wanted to test 2.5 right now - i'd probably have to do it
using EVMS.

~mc

2002-09-30 13:32:41

by Kevin Corry

On Monday 30 September 2002 02:05, Michael Clark wrote:
> On 09/30/02 05:46, Matthias Andree wrote:
> >
> > Is not EVMS ready for the show? Is Linux >=2.6 going to have LVM2 and
> > EVMS? Or just LVM2? I'm not aware of the current status, but I do recall
> > having seen EVMS stable announcements (but not sure about 2.5 status).
>
> From reading the EVMS list, it was working with 2.5.36 a couple weeks
> ago but needs some small bio and gendisk changes to work in 2.5.39.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=1105826&forum_id=2003
>
> CVS version may be up-to-date quite soon from reading the thread.
> It seems to be further along in 2.5 support than LVM2 - also including
> the fact that EVMS supports LVM1 metadata (which the 2.5 version of LVM2
> may not do so quite so soon from mentions on the lvm list).
>
> I haven't tried EVMS but certainly from looking at the feature set,
> it looks more comprehensive and modular than LVM (with its support
> for multiple metadata personalities).
>
> I too have LVM on quite a few of my machines, including my desktop,
> and if I wanted to test 2.5 right now - i'd probably have to do it
> using EVMS.

EVMS is now up-to-date and running on 2.5.39. You can get the latest kernel
code from CVS (http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=25076) or Bitkeepr
(http://evms.bkbits.net/). There will be a new, full release (1.2) coming out
this week.

Kevin Corry