2002-10-07 16:52:53

by Steve Dover

Subject: PC speaker dead in 2.5.40?

Configuring a kernel with Sound support with either
OSS or ALSA, I still get nothing from my PC speaker.
Works fine under 2.4.18.

2002-10-07 18:52:11

by Joseph Fannin

Subject: Re: PC speaker dead in 2.5.40?

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 11:58:25AM -0500, Steve Dover wrote:
> Configuring a kernel with Sound support with either
> OSS or ALSA, I still get nothing from my PC speaker.
> Works fine under 2.4.18.

Look under all the submenus in the Input section of
"menuconfig" for the speaker entry and enable it.

There's a good technical reason why the speaker is an input
device, but hiding it in the menus is *bad*.

Joseph Fannin
[email protected]

"Anyone who quotes me in their sig is an idiot." -- Rusty Russell.

Attachments:
(No filename) (782.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Vojtech Pavlik

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 03:08:57AM -0400, Joseph Fannin wrote:

> > Configuring a kernel with Sound support with either
> > OSS or ALSA, I still get nothing from my PC speaker.
> > Works fine under 2.4.18.
>
> Look under all the submenus in the Input section of
> "menuconfig" for the speaker entry and enable it.
>
> There's a good technical reason why the speaker is an input
> device, but hiding it in the menus is *bad*.

Send me a patch that fixes this - if you know how.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs

2002-10-07 19:45:29