2002-10-14 23:56:49

by Pranav Desai

Subject: Booting problem with VIA C3 400A CPU

Hi all!
I am not sure if this a bug, but when I try to boot kernel 2.4.18
it stops just before init starts. It doesnt hang because ctrl+alt+del does
reboot the system. I tried kernels with 386 and cyrix processors but with
the same result.
During the booting process it does give

Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 2d
Dazed and confused, but trying to continue
Do you have a strange power saving mode enabled?

Does this have anything to do with the booting problem.

I would appreciate any pointers or suggestions ...

Thank you for your time.

-Pranav

Pranav A. Desai

Home - (937) 294 1381
Off. - (937) 224 0485 (x123)

by Padraig Brady

Subject: Re: Booting problem with VIA C3 400A CPU

Pranav Desai wrote:
> Hi all!
> I am not sure if this a bug, but when I try to boot kernel 2.4.18
> it stops just before init starts. It doesnt hang because ctrl+alt+del does
> reboot the system. I tried kernels with 386 and cyrix processors but with
> the same result.

Is your glibc built for 686 (CMOV) ?
P?draig.

2002-10-15 16:02:30

by Pranav Desai

Hi!
Yes it was built for 686. I didnt realize that this could be a
problem. Now everything is working fine. Does glibc built for 386 have
any kind of impact on the system in terms of performance?

Thanks a lot for the help and sorry for the trouble.
-Pranav

Pranav A. Desai

Home - (937) 294 1381
Off. - (937) 224 0485 (x123)