2002-10-15 19:14:30

by Simon Roscic

Subject: [Kernel 2.5] Qlogic 2x00 driver

hi,

as the feature freeze of 2.5 comes close, i want to ask if the driver for
the qlogic sanblade 2200/2300 series of hba's will be included in 2.5 ...
are there any plan's to do so ? has it been discussed before ?

i ask because i use those hba's together with ibm's fastt500 storage system,
and it will be nice to have this driver in the default kernel ...

i use version 5.36.3 of the qlogic 2x00 driver in production
(vanilla kernel 2.4.17 + qlogic 2x00 driver v5.36.3) since may 2002
and i never had any problems with this driver ...
(2 lotus domino servers and 1 fileserver all 3 are attached to the ibm fastt500
storage system using qlogic sanblade 2200 cards)

i don't know how many people use those qlogic card's, i got them together
with the fastt500 storage system, ...

the current driver is avaiable here (it's GPL't):
http://www.qlogic.com/support/os_detail.asp?productid=112&osid=26

the qlogic 2x00 driver is also in andrea arcangelis "-aa" patches, so possibly
he knows better if it would be useful to integrate those drivers into 2.5 or
not, ...

thanks for your time,
please CC me, i'm currently not subscribed to lkml,
simon.

2002-10-15 19:24:40

by Arjan van de Ven

Subject: Re: [Kernel 2.5] Qlogic 2x00 driver

On Tue, 2002-10-15 at 21:20, Simon Roscic wrote:
> hi,
>
> as the feature freeze of 2.5 comes close, i want to ask if the driver for
> the qlogic sanblade 2200/2300 series of hba's will be included in 2.5 ...
> are there any plan's to do so ? has it been discussed before ?
>
> i ask because i use those hba's together with ibm's fastt500 storage system,
> and it will be nice to have this driver in the default kernel ...
>
> i use version 5.36.3 of the qlogic 2x00 driver in production
> (vanilla kernel 2.4.17 + qlogic 2x00 driver v5.36.3) since may 2002
> and i never had any problems with this driver ...

Oh so you haven't notices how it buffer-overflows the kernel stack, how
it has major stack hog issues, how it keeps the io request lock (and
interrupts disabled) for a WEEK ?

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2002-10-15 19:47:34

by Simon Roscic

On Tuesday 15 October 2002 21:31, Arjan van de Ven <[email protected]> wrote:
> Oh so you haven't notices how it buffer-overflows the kernel stack, how
> it has major stack hog issues, how it keeps the io request lock (and
> interrupts disabled) for a WEEK ?

doesn't sound good, ...
as i said, i don't have any problems (= failures, data loss, etc.) with this driver,
sounds like i should update to a newer driver version, wich qlogic 2x00 driver
version do you recommend ? or does this affect all versions of this driver ?

(performance on the machines i use is quite good, a dbench 256 gave me
approx. 60 mb/s (ibm xseries 342, 1x pentium 3 - 1,2 ghz, 512 - 1024 mb ram))

arjan, thanks for the info, i didn't notice that the driver was that bad,
i had much to do in the past months, so i possibly missed disscussions
about the qlogic2x00 stuff, sorry,

simon.
(please CC me, i'm not subscribed to lkml)

2002-10-16 02:45:24

by Michael Clark

Version 6.1b5 does appear to be a big improvement from looking
at the code (certainly much more readable than version 4.x end earlier).

Although the method for creating the different modules for
different hardware is pretty ugly.

in qla2300.c

#define ISP2300
[snip]
#include "qla2x00.c"

in qla2200.c

#define ISP2200
[snip]
#include "qla2x00.c"

I'm sure this would have to go before it got it.

~mc

On 10/16/02 03:53, Simon Roscic wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 October 2002 21:31, Arjan van de Ven <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Oh so you haven't notices how it buffer-overflows the kernel stack, how
>>it has major stack hog issues, how it keeps the io request lock (and
>>interrupts disabled) for a WEEK ?

This may have been the cause of problems I had running qla driver with
lvm and ext3 - I was getting ooops with what looked like corrupted bufferheads.

This was happening in pretty much all kernels I tried (a variety of
redhat kernels and aa kernels). Removing LVM has solved the problem.
Although i was blaming LVM - maybe it was a buffer overflow in qla driver.

The rh kernel I tried had quite an old version (4.31) of the driver
suffered from problems recovering from LIP resets. The latest 6.x drivers
seem to handle this much better.

~mc

2002-10-16 03:50:38

by GrandMasterLee

You might wanna look at version 6.01 instead. I say this because it's
*not* a beta driver.

On Tue, 2002-10-15 at 21:51, Michael Clark wrote:
> Version 6.1b5 does appear to be a big improvement from looking
> at the code (certainly much more readable than version 4.x end earlier).
>
> Although the method for creating the different modules for
> different hardware is pretty ugly.
>
> in qla2300.c
>
> #define ISP2300
> [snip]
> #include "qla2x00.c"
>
> in qla2200.c
>
> #define ISP2200
> [snip]
> #include "qla2x00.c"
>
> I'm sure this would have to go before it got it.
>
> ~mc
>
> On 10/16/02 03:53, Simon Roscic wrote:
> > On Tuesday 15 October 2002 21:31, Arjan van de Ven <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >>Oh so you haven't notices how it buffer-overflows the kernel stack, how
> >>it has major stack hog issues, how it keeps the io request lock (and
> >>interrupts disabled) for a WEEK ?
>
> This may have been the cause of problems I had running qla driver with
> lvm and ext3 - I was getting ooops with what looked like corrupted bufferheads.
>
> This was happening in pretty much all kernels I tried (a variety of
> redhat kernels and aa kernels). Removing LVM has solved the problem.
> Although i was blaming LVM - maybe it was a buffer overflow in qla driver.
>
> The rh kernel I tried had quite an old version (4.31) of the driver
> suffered from problems recovering from LIP resets. The latest 6.x drivers
> seem to handle this much better.
>
> ~mc
>
> -

by Michael Clark

I doubt it will make a difference. LVM and qlogic drivers seem
to be a bad mix. I've already tried the beta5 of 6.01
and same problem exists - ooops about every 5-8 days.
Removing LVM and solved the problem.

The changelog only lists small changes since between 6.01 and 6.01b5

Although one entry suggests a fix to a race in qla2x00_done
that would allow multiple completions on the same IO. Not sure
if this relates to my problem with LVM as this occured with
earlier versions of the qlogic driver without the dpc threads.

~mc

--
Michael Clark, . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [email protected]
Managing Director, . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . phone: +65 6395 6277

I'm successful because I'm lucky. The harder I work, the luckier I get.

2002-10-16 04:29:35

by Joe

Just to make sure we are on the same page,
was that LVM1, LVM2, or EVMS?

Joe

Michael Clark wrote:

> I doubt it will make a difference. LVM and qlogic drivers seem
> to be a bad mix. I've already tried the beta5 of 6.01
> and same problem exists - ooops about every 5-8 days.
> Removing LVM and solved the problem.

2002-10-16 04:37:52

by GrandMasterLee

My Dell 6650 has been doing this exact behaviour since we got on 5.38.9
and up, using LVM in a production capacity. Both servers we have, have
crashed mysteriously, without any kernel dump, etc, but all hardware
diags come out clean.

All hardware configuration bits are perfect, as can be anyway, and we
still get this behaviour. After 5-6.5 days...the box black screens. So
bad so, that all the XFS volumes we have, never enter a shutdown. We
must repair them all, today this happened, and we lost one part of the
tablespace on our beta db. We're using LVM1, on 2.4.19-aa1.

On Tue, 2002-10-15 at 23:35, J Sloan wrote:
> Just to make sure we are on the same page,
> was that LVM1, LVM2, or EVMS?
>
> Joe
>
> Michael Clark wrote:
>
> > I doubt it will make a difference. LVM and qlogic drivers seem
> > to be a bad mix. I've already tried the beta5 of 6.01
> > and same problem exists - ooops about every 5-8 days.
> > Removing LVM and solved the problem.

2002-10-16 04:52:23

by GrandMasterLee

On Tue, 2002-10-15 at 23:35, J Sloan wrote:
> Just to make sure we are on the same page,
> was that LVM1, LVM2, or EVMS?
>
> Joe
>
> Michael Clark wrote:

Quick question on this, could this problem be exacerbated, perhaps, by
large pagebuf usage that XFS performs, as well as the FS buffers that it
allocates, since XFS allocates a lot of read/write buffers for logging?

2002-10-16 04:56:10

by GrandMasterLee

On Tue, 2002-10-15 at 14:20, Simon Roscic wrote:
> hi,
> i ask because i use those hba's together with ibm's fastt500 storage system,
> and it will be nice to have this driver in the default kernel ...
>
> i use version 5.36.3 of the qlogic 2x00 driver in production
> (vanilla kernel 2.4.17 + qlogic 2x00 driver v5.36.3) since may 2002
> and i never had any problems with this driver ...
> (2 lotus domino servers and 1 fileserver all 3 are attached to the ibm fastt500
> storage system using qlogic sanblade 2200 cards)

Do you use LVM, EVMS, MD, other, or none?

TIA

--The GrandMaster

2002-10-16 05:22:52

by Michael Clark

LVM1 tried in numerous versions of 2.4.x both aa and rh version.

Every one i was getting oops when used with a combination
of ext3, LVM1 and qla2x00 driver.

Since taking LVM1 out of the picture, my oopsing problem has
gone away. This could of course not be LVM1's fault but the
fact that qla driver is a stack hog or something - i don't have
enough information to draw any conclusions all at the moment
i'm too scared to try LVM again (plus the time it takes to
migrate a few hundred gigs of storage).

~mc

On 10/16/02 12:35, J Sloan wrote:
> Just to make sure we are on the same page,
> was that LVM1, LVM2, or EVMS?
>
> Joe
>
> Michael Clark wrote:
>
>> I doubt it will make a difference. LVM and qlogic drivers seem
>> to be a bad mix. I've already tried the beta5 of 6.01
>> and same problem exists - ooops about every 5-8 days.
>> Removing LVM and solved the problem.

2002-10-16 05:37:17

by Andreas Dilger

On Oct 16, 2002 13:28 +0800, Michael Clark wrote:
> Every one i was getting oops when used with a combination
> of ext3, LVM1 and qla2x00 driver.
>
> Since taking LVM1 out of the picture, my oopsing problem has
> gone away. This could of course not be LVM1's fault but the
> fact that qla driver is a stack hog or something - i don't have
> enough information to draw any conclusions all at the moment
> i'm too scared to try LVM again (plus the time it takes to
> migrate a few hundred gigs of storage).

Yes, we have seen that ext3 is a stack hog in some cases, and I
know there were some fixes in later LVM versions to remove some
huge stack allocations. Arjan also reported stack problems with
qla2x00, so it is not a surprise that the combination causes
problems.

In 2.5 there is the "4k IRQ stack" patch floating around, which
would avoid these problems.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger

by Michael Clark

On 10/16/02 12:43, GrandMasterLee wrote:
> My Dell 6650 has been doing this exact behaviour since we got on 5.38.9
> and up, using LVM in a production capacity. Both servers we have, have
> crashed mysteriously, without any kernel dump, etc, but all hardware
> diags come out clean.

I tell you my honest hunch - remove LVM and try again. This has made
my life a little more peaceful lately. Even with a 2-3 minute outages
while our cluster automatically fails over - the 100's of users whining
about their sessions being disconnected makes you a bit depressed.

> All hardware configuration bits are perfect, as can be anyway, and we
> still get this behaviour. After 5-6.5 days...the box black screens. So
> bad so, that all the XFS volumes we have, never enter a shutdown. We
> must repair them all, today this happened, and we lost one part of the
> tablespace on our beta db. We're using LVM1, on 2.4.19-aa1.

We had the black screen also until we got the machines oopsing over
serial. The oops was actually showing up in ext3 with a corrupted
bufferhead. Without LVM, i've measured my longest uptime, 17 days x
4 machines in the cluster (68 days) ie. we only did it 17 days ago.

~mc

> On Tue, 2002-10-15 at 23:35, J Sloan wrote:
>
>>Just to make sure we are on the same page,
>>was that LVM1, LVM2, or EVMS?
>>
>>Joe
>>
>>Michael Clark wrote:
>>

>>>I doubt it will make a difference. LVM and qlogic drivers seem
>>>to be a bad mix. I've already tried the beta5 of 6.01
>>>and same problem exists - ooops about every 5-8 days.
>>>Removing LVM and solved the problem.

2002-10-16 06:25:52

by GrandMasterLee

On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 01:03, Michael Clark wrote:
> On 10/16/02 12:43, GrandMasterLee wrote:
> > My Dell 6650 has been doing this exact behaviour since we got on 5.38.9
> > and up, using LVM in a production capacity. Both servers we have, have
> > crashed mysteriously, without any kernel dump, etc, but all hardware
> > diags come out clean.
>
> I tell you my honest hunch - remove LVM and try again. This has made
> my life a little more peaceful lately. Even with a 2-3 minute outages
> while our cluster automatically fails over - the 100's of users whining
> about their sessions being disconnected makes you a bit depressed.

Almost making it to your go-live date, only to have everything come
crashing down all around you is quite depressing.

> > All hardware configuration bits are perfect, as can be anyway, and we
> > still get this behaviour. After 5-6.5 days...the box black screens. So
> > bad so, that all the XFS volumes we have, never enter a shutdown. We
> > must repair them all, today this happened, and we lost one part of the
> > tablespace on our beta db. We're using LVM1, on 2.4.19-aa1.
>
> We had the black screen also until we got the machines oopsing over
> serial. The oops was actually showing up in ext3 with a corrupted
> bufferhead. Without LVM, i've measured my longest uptime, 17 days x
> 4 machines in the cluster (68 days) ie. we only did it 17 days ago.
>
> ~mc

I believe you, that was my next thought, but I didn't know if that would
really help just to be honest. Thanks for the input there.

I've been going crazy trying to catch any piece of sanity out of this
thing to understand if this was what was happening or not. I feel a bit
dumb for not trying serial console yet, but I knew either that or KDB
should tell us something. I will see what we can do, it will take less
time to do this, than to reload everything all over again.

Should I remove LVM all together, or just not use it? In your opinion.

2002-10-16 06:34:47

by Michael Clark

On 10/16/02 14:31, GrandMasterLee wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 01:03, Michael Clark wrote:
>
>>On 10/16/02 12:43, GrandMasterLee wrote:

[snip]
>>>All hardware configuration bits are perfect, as can be anyway, and we
>>>still get this behaviour. After 5-6.5 days...the box black screens. So
>>>bad so, that all the XFS volumes we have, never enter a shutdown. We
>>>must repair them all, today this happened, and we lost one part of the
>>>tablespace on our beta db. We're using LVM1, on 2.4.19-aa1.
>>
>>We had the black screen also until we got the machines oopsing over
>>serial. The oops was actually showing up in ext3 with a corrupted
>>bufferhead. Without LVM, i've measured my longest uptime, 17 days x
>>4 machines in the cluster (68 days) ie. we only did it 17 days ago.
>
> I believe you, that was my next thought, but I didn't know if that would
> really help just to be honest. Thanks for the input there.
>
> I've been going crazy trying to catch any piece of sanity out of this
> thing to understand if this was what was happening or not. I feel a bit
> dumb for not trying serial console yet, but I knew either that or KDB
> should tell us something. I will see what we can do, it will take less
> time to do this, than to reload everything all over again.
>
> Should I remove LVM all together, or just not use it? In your opinion.

I just didn't load the module after migrating my volumes. If the problem
is a stack problem, then its probably not necessarily a bug in LVM
- just the combination of it, ext3 and the qlogic driver don't mix well
- so if its not being used, then it won't be increasing the stack footprint.

~mc

2002-10-16 06:42:58

by GrandMasterLee

On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 01:40, Michael Clark wrote:
> > Should I remove LVM all together, or just not use it? In your opinion.
>
> I just didn't load the module after migrating my volumes. If the problem
> is a stack problem, then its probably not necessarily a bug in LVM
> - just the combination of it, ext3 and the qlogic driver don't mix well
> - so if its not being used, then it won't be increasing the stack footprint.
>
> ~mc

Not to be dense, but it's compiled into my kernel, that's why I ask. We
try not to use modules where we can help it. So I'm thinking, if no VG
are actively used, then LVM won't affect the stack much. I just don't
know if that's true or not.

--The GrandMaster

2002-10-16 06:53:14

by Michael Clark

On 10/16/02 14:48, GrandMasterLee wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 01:40, Michael Clark wrote:
>
>>>Should I remove LVM all together, or just not use it? In your opinion.
>>
>>I just didn't load the module after migrating my volumes. If the problem
>>is a stack problem, then its probably not necessarily a bug in LVM
>>- just the combination of it, ext3 and the qlogic driver don't mix well
>>- so if its not being used, then it won't be increasing the stack footprint.
>
> Not to be dense, but it's compiled into my kernel, that's why I ask. We
> try not to use modules where we can help it. So I'm thinking, if no VG
> are actively used, then LVM won't affect the stack much. I just don't
> know if that's true or not.

Correct. Won't effect the stack at all.

~mc

2002-10-16 16:22:31

by Simon Roscic

On Wednesday 16 October 2002 04:51, Michael Clark <[email protected]> wrote:
> Version 6.1b5 does appear to be a big improvement from looking
> at the code (certainly much more readable than version 4.x end earlier).
i'll try version 6.01 or so next week and i will see what happens.
thanks for your help.

> Although the method for creating the different modules for
> different hardware is pretty ugly.
i see.

> This was happening in pretty much all kernels I tried (a variety of
> redhat kernels and aa kernels). Removing LVM has solved the problem.
> Although i was blaming LVM - maybe it was a buffer overflow in qla driver.
looks like i had a lot of luck, because my 3 servers wich are using the
qla2x00 5.36.3 driver were running without problems, but i'll update to 6.01
in the next few day's.

i don't use lvm, the filesystem i use is xfs, so it smells like i had a lot of luck for
not running into this problem, ...

simon.
(please CC me, i'm not subscribed to lkml)

2002-10-16 16:32:57

by Simon Roscic

On Wednesday 16 October 2002 07:02, GrandMasterLee <[email protected]> wrote:
> Do you use LVM, EVMS, MD, other, or none?

none.
it's a XFS filesystem with the folowing mount options:
rw,noatime,logbufs=8,logbsize=32768

(this apply's to all 3 machines)

simon.
(please CC me, i'm not subscribed to lkml)

2002-10-16 16:43:30

by Michael Clark

On 10/17/02 00:28, Simon Roscic wrote:

>>This was happening in pretty much all kernels I tried (a variety of
>>redhat kernels and aa kernels). Removing LVM has solved the problem.
>>Although i was blaming LVM - maybe it was a buffer overflow in qla driver.
>
> looks like i had a lot of luck, because my 3 servers wich are using the
> qla2x00 5.36.3 driver were running without problems, but i'll update to 6.01
> in the next few day's.
>
> i don't use lvm, the filesystem i use is xfs, so it smells like i had a lot of luck for
> not running into this problem, ...

Seems to be the correlation so far. qlogic driver without lvm works okay.
qlogic driver with lvm, oopsorama.

~mc

2002-10-17 01:55:57

by Andrew Vasquez

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Andreas Dilger wrote:

> On Oct 16, 2002 13:28 +0800, Michael Clark wrote:
> > Every one i was getting oops when used with a combination
> > of ext3, LVM1 and qla2x00 driver.
> >
> > Since taking LVM1 out of the picture, my oopsing problem has
> > gone away. This could of course not be LVM1's fault but the
> > fact that qla driver is a stack hog or something - i don't have
> > enough information to draw any conclusions all at the moment
> > i'm too scared to try LVM again (plus the time it takes to
> > migrate a few hundred gigs of storage).
>
> Yes, we have seen that ext3 is a stack hog in some cases, and I
> know there were some fixes in later LVM versions to remove some
> huge stack allocations. Arjan also reported stack problems with
> qla2x00, so it is not a surprise that the combination causes
> problems.

The stack issues were a major problem in the 5.3x series driver. I
believe, I can check tomorrow, 5.38.9 (the driver Dell distributes)
contains fixes for the stack clobbering -- qla2x00-rh1-3 also contain
the fixes.

IAC, I believe the support tech working with MasterLee had asked
for additional information regarding the configuration as well as
some basic logs. Ideally we'd like to setup a similiar configuration
in house and see what's happening...

--
Andrew Vasquez | [email protected] |
DSS: 0x508316BB, FP: 79BD 4FAC 7E82 FF70 6C2B 7E8B 168F 5529 5083 16BB

2002-10-17 02:38:15

by GrandMasterLee

On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 20:59, Andrew Vasquez wrote:
> > Yes, we have seen that ext3 is a stack hog in some cases, and I
> > know there were some fixes in later LVM versions to remove some
> > huge stack allocations. Arjan also reported stack problems with
> > qla2x00, so it is not a surprise that the combination causes
> > problems.
> >
> The stack issues were a major problem in the 5.3x series driver. I
> believe, I can check tomorrow, 5.38.9 (the driver Dell distributes)
> contains fixes for the stack clobbering -- qla2x00-rh1-3 also contain
> the fixes.

Does this mean that 6.01 will NOT work either? What drivers will be
affected? We've already made the move to remove LVM from the mix, but
your comments above give me some doubt as to how definite it is, that
the stack clobbering will be fixed by doing so.

> IAC, I believe the support tech working with MasterLee had asked
> for additional information regarding the configuration as well as
> some basic logs. Ideally we'd like to setup a similiar configuration
> in house and see what's happening...

In-house? Just curious. What can "I" do to know if our configuration
won't get broken, just by removing LVM? TIA.

> --
> Andrew Vasquez | [email protected] |
> DSS: 0x508316BB, FP: 79BD 4FAC 7E82 FF70 6C2B 7E8B 168F 5529 5083 16BB

2002-10-17 03:02:10

by GrandMasterLee

Do you actually get the lockups then?

On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 11:38, Simon Roscic wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 October 2002 07:02, GrandMasterLee <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Do you use LVM, EVMS, MD, other, or none?
> >

> none.
> it's a XFS filesystem with the folowing mount options:
> rw,noatime,logbufs=8,logbsize=32768
>
> (this apply's to all 3 machines)
>
> simon.
> (please CC me, i'm not subscribed to lkml)

2002-10-17 03:08:22

by Andrew Vasquez

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, GrandMasterLee wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 20:59, Andrew Vasquez wrote:
> > > Yes, we have seen that ext3 is a stack hog in some cases, and I
> > > know there were some fixes in later LVM versions to remove some
> > > huge stack allocations. Arjan also reported stack problems with
> > > qla2x00, so it is not a surprise that the combination causes
> > > problems.
> > >
> > The stack issues were a major problem in the 5.3x series driver. I
> > believe, I can check tomorrow, 5.38.9 (the driver Dell distributes)
> > contains fixes for the stack clobbering -- qla2x00-rh1-3 also contain
> > the fixes.
>
> Does this mean that 6.01 will NOT work either? What drivers will be
> affected? We've already made the move to remove LVM from the mix, but
> your comments above give me some doubt as to how definite it is, that
> the stack clobbering will be fixed by doing so.

The 6.x series driver basically branched from the 5.x series driver.
Changes made, many moons ago, are already in the 6.x series driver.
To quell your concerns, yes, stack overflow is not an issue with the
6.x series driver.

I believe if we are to get anywhere regarding this issue, we need to
shift focus from stack corruption in early versions of the driver.

> > IAC, I believe the support tech working with MasterLee had asked
> > for additional information regarding the configuration as well as
> > some basic logs. Ideally we'd like to setup a similiar configuration
> > in house and see what's happening...
>
> In-house?

Sorry, short introduction, Andrew Vasquez, Linux driver development at
QLogic.

> Just curious. What can "I" do to know if our configuration
> won't get broken, just by removing LVM? TIA.

I've personally never used LVM before, so I cannot even begin to
attempt to answer your question -- please work with the tech on this
one, if it's a driver problem, we'd like to fix it.

--
Andrew

2002-10-17 03:06:41

by GrandMasterLee

On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 11:49, Michael Clark wrote:
> On 10/17/02 00:28, Simon Roscic wrote:
>
> >>This was happening in pretty much all kernels I tried (a variety of
> >>redhat kernels and aa kernels). Removing LVM has solved the problem.
> >>Although i was blaming LVM - maybe it was a buffer overflow in qla driver.
> >
> > looks like i had a lot of luck, because my 3 servers wich are using the
> > qla2x00 5.36.3 driver were running without problems, but i'll update to 6.01
> > in the next few day's.
> >
> > i don't use lvm, the filesystem i use is xfs, so it smells like i had a lot of luck for
> > not running into this problem, ...

So then, it seems that LVM is adding stress to the system in a way that
is bad for the kernel. Perhaps the read-ahead in conjunction with the
large buffers from XFS, plus the amount of volumes we run(22 on the
latest machine to crash).

> Seems to be the correlation so far. qlogic driver without lvm works okay.
> qlogic driver with lvm, oopsorama.

Michael, what exactly do your servers do? Are they DB servers with ~1Tb
connected, or file-servers with hundreds of gigs, etc?

> ~mc
>
> -

by GrandMasterLee

On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 22:11, Andrew Vasquez wrote:
> > Does this mean that 6.01 will NOT work either? What drivers will be
> > affected? We've already made the move to remove LVM from the mix, but
> > your comments above give me some doubt as to how definite it is, that
> > the stack clobbering will be fixed by doing so.

I was asking because We crashed, while using this driver, AND LVM.

> The 6.x series driver basically branched from the 5.x series driver.
> Changes made, many moons ago, are already in the 6.x series driver.
> To quell your concerns, yes, stack overflow is not an issue with the
> 6.x series driver.
>
> I believe if we are to get anywhere regarding this issue, we need to
> shift focus from stack corruption in early versions of the driver.

In this way, you mean, that it is not an issue since you guys don't try
to use LVM.

> > > IAC, I believe the support tech working with MasterLee had asked
> > > for additional information regarding the configuration as well as
> > > some basic logs. Ideally we'd like to setup a similiar configuration
> > > in house and see what's happening...
> >
> > In-house?
> >
> Sorry, short introduction, Andrew Vasquez, Linux driver development at
> QLogic.

Nice to meet ya. :)

> > Just curious. What can "I" do to know if our configuration
> > won't get broken, just by removing LVM? TIA.
> >
> I've personally never used LVM before, so I cannot even begin to
> attempt to answer your question --

We've removed LVM from the config, per Michael's issue and
recommendation, but I'm just scared that we *could* see this issue with
XFS and Qlogic. Since you're saying the 6.01 has no stack clobbering
issues, then is it XFS, LVM and Qlogic?

> please work with the tech on this
> one, if it's a driver problem, we'd like to fix it.

I'm going to try, but we've got to get up and in production ASAP. Since
it takes *days* to cause the crash, I don't know how I can cause it and
get the stack dump.

> --
> Andrew
> -

by Michael Clark

On 10/17/02 11:12, GrandMasterLee wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 11:49, Michael Clark wrote:
>>Seems to be the correlation so far. qlogic driver without lvm works okay.
>>qlogic driver with lvm, oopsorama.
>

> Michael, what exactly do your servers do? Are they DB servers with ~1Tb
> connected, or file-servers with hundreds of gigs, etc?

My customer currently has about 400Gb on this particular 4 node Application
cluster (actually 2 x 2 node clusters using kimberlite HA software).

It has 11 logical hosts (services) spread over the 4 nodes with services such
as Oracle 8.1.7, Oracle Financials (11i), a busy openldap server, and busy
netatalk AppleShare Servers, Cyrus IMAP server. All are on ext3 partitions
and were previously using LVM to slice up the storage.

The cluster usually has around 200-300 active users.

We have had oops (in ext3) on differing logical hosts which where running
different services. ie. has oopsed on the node mastering the fileserver,
and also on the node mastering the oracle database.

Cross fingers, since removing LVM (which was the only change we have made,
same kernel) we have had 3 times our longest uptime and still counting.

By the sounds, from earlier emails I had posted, users had responded
to me who were also using qlogic and none of them had had any problems,
the key factor was none of them were running LVM - this is what made
me think to try and remove it (it was really just a hunch). We had
gone through months of changing kernel versions, changing GigE network
adapters, driver versions, etc, to no avail, then finally the LVM removal.

Due to the potential nature of it being a stack problem. The problem
really can't just be pointed at LVM but more the additive effect this
would have on some underlying stack problem.

I believe the RedHat kernels i tried (rh7.2 2.4.9-34 errata was the most
recent) also had this 'stack' problem. I am currently using 2.4.19pre10aa4.

I would hate to reccomend you remove LVM and it not work, but i
must say it has worked for me (i'm just glad i didn't go to XFS instead
of removing LVM as i did - as this was the other option i was pondering).

~mc

2002-10-17 04:02:07

by GrandMasterLee

On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 22:54, Michael Clark wrote:
> On 10/17/02 11:12, GrandMasterLee wrote:
> > On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 11:49, Michael Clark wrote:
> >>Seems to be the correlation so far. qlogic driver without lvm works okay.
> >>qlogic driver with lvm, oopsorama.
> >

> > Michael, what exactly do your servers do? Are they DB servers with ~1Tb
> > connected, or file-servers with hundreds of gigs, etc?
>
> My customer currently has about 400Gb on this particular 4 node Application
> cluster (actually 2 x 2 node clusters using kimberlite HA software).
>
> It has 11 logical hosts (services) spread over the 4 nodes with services such
> as Oracle 8.1.7, Oracle Financials (11i), a busy openldap server, and busy
> netatalk AppleShare Servers, Cyrus IMAP server. All are on ext3 partitions
> and were previously using LVM to slice up the storage.

On each of the Nodes, correct?

> The cluster usually has around 200-300 active users.
>
> We have had oops (in ext3) on differing logical hosts which where running
> different services. ie. has oopsed on the node mastering the fileserver,
> and also on the node mastering the oracle database.

And again, each was running LVM in a shared storage mode for failover?

> Cross fingers, since removing LVM (which was the only change we have made,
> same kernel) we have had 3 times our longest uptime and still counting.
>
> By the sounds, from earlier emails I had posted, users had responded
> to me who were also using qlogic and none of them had had any problems,
> the key factor was none of them were running LVM - this is what made
> me think to try and remove it (it was really just a hunch). We had
> gone through months of changing kernel versions, changing GigE network
> adapters, driver versions, etc, to no avail, then finally the LVM removal.

Kewl. That makes me feel much better now too.

> Due to the potential nature of it being a stack problem. The problem
> really can't just be pointed at LVM but more the additive effect this
> would have on some underlying stack problem.
>
> I believe the RedHat kernels i tried (rh7.2 2.4.9-34 errata was the most
> recent) also had this 'stack' problem. I am currently using 2.4.19pre10aa4.

Kewl. I'm using 2.4.19-aa1 (rc5-aa1, but hell, it's the same thing).

> I would hate to reccomend you remove LVM and it not work, but i
> must say it has worked for me (i'm just glad i didn't go to XFS instead
> of removing LVM as i did - as this was the other option i was pondering).

I hear you. We were pondering changing to EXT3, and not just EXT3, RHAS
also. i.e. more money, unknown kernel config, etc. I was going to be
*very* upset. Are you running FC2(qla2300Fs in FC2 config) or FC1?

TIA

> ~mc

2002-10-17 04:57:23

by Michael Clark

On 10/17/02 12:08, GrandMasterLee wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 22:54, Michael Clark wrote:

>>>Michael, what exactly do your servers do? Are they DB servers with ~1Tb
>>>connected, or file-servers with hundreds of gigs, etc?
>>
>>My customer currently has about 400Gb on this particular 4 node Application
>>cluster (actually 2 x 2 node clusters using kimberlite HA software).
>>
>>It has 11 logical hosts (services) spread over the 4 nodes with services such
>>as Oracle 8.1.7, Oracle Financials (11i), a busy openldap server, and busy
>>netatalk AppleShare Servers, Cyrus IMAP server. All are on ext3 partitions
>>and were previously using LVM to slice up the storage.
>

> On each of the Nodes, correct?

We had originally planned to split up the storage in the RAID head
using individual luns for each cluster logical host - so we could use SCSI
reservations - but we encountered problems with the RAID heads device queue.

The RAID head has a global queue depth of 64 and to alleviate
queue problems with the RAID heading locking up, we needed to minimise
the number of luns, so late in the piece we added LVM to split up the storage.

We are using LVM in a clustered fashion. ie. we export most of the array
as one big lun, and slice it into lvs, each one associated with a logical host.
All lvs are accessible from all 4 physical hosts in the cluster. Care and
application locking ensures only 1 physical host mounts any lv/partition at
the same time (except for cluster quorum partitions which need to be accessed
concurrently from 2 nodes - and for these we have seperate quorum disks in
the array).

lvm metadata changes are made from one node while the others are down
(or just have volumes deactivated, unmounted, then lvm-mod removed)
to avoid screwing our metadata because lvm is not cluster aware.

We are not using mutlipath put have the cluster arranged in a topology
such that the HA RAID Head has 2 controllers with each side of the cluster
hanging of a different one ie. L and R. If we have a path failure, we will
just loose CPU capacity (25-50% depending). The logical hosts will automatically
move onto a physical node which still has connectivity to the RAID head
(by the cluster software checking of connectivity to the quorum paritions).
This gives us a good level of redundancy without the added cost of 2 paths
from each host. ie. after a path failure we run with degraded performance only.

We are using vanilla 2300's.

~mc

2002-10-17 09:34:41

by Michael Clark

On 10/17/02 11:11, Andrew Vasquez wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, GrandMasterLee wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 20:59, Andrew Vasquez wrote:
>>
>>>The stack issues were a major problem in the 5.3x series driver. I
>>>believe, I can check tomorrow, 5.38.9 (the driver Dell distributes)
>>>contains fixes for the stack clobbering -- qla2x00-rh1-3 also contain
>>>the fixes.
>>
>>Does this mean that 6.01 will NOT work either? What drivers will be
>>affected? We've already made the move to remove LVM from the mix, but
>>your comments above give me some doubt as to how definite it is, that
>>the stack clobbering will be fixed by doing so.
>>

> The 6.x series driver basically branched from the 5.x series driver.
> Changes made, many moons ago, are already in the 6.x series driver.
> To quell your concerns, yes, stack overflow is not an issue with the
> 6.x series driver.
>
> I believe if we are to get anywhere regarding this issue, we need to
> shift focus from stack corruption in early versions of the driver.

Well corruption of bufferheads was happening for me with a potentially
stack deep setup (ext3+LVM+qlogic). Maybe it has been fixed in the
non-LVM case but is still an issue as I have had it with 6.0.1b3 -
The stack fix is listed in 6.0b13 which is quite a few release behind
the one i've had the problem with.

I posted the oops to lk about 3 weeks ago. Wasn't sure it was a qlogic
problem at the time, and still am not certain - maybe just sum of
stack(ext3+lvm+qlogic). Even if qla stack was trimmed for the common case,
it may still be a problem when LVM is active as there would be much
deeper stacks during block io.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103302016311188&w=2

The oops doesn't show qlogic at all although it is a corrupt bufferhead
that is causing the oops so may have been silently corrupted earlier
by a qlogic interrupt or block io submission while deep inside lvm and
ext3 or some such, ie. the oops is one of those difficult sort that shows
up corruption from some earlier event that is not directly traceable from
the oops itself.

~mc

2002-10-17 17:41:42

by Simon Roscic

On Thursday 17 October 2002 05:08, GrandMasterLee <[email protected]> wrote:
> Do you actually get the lockups then?

no, i didn't had any lookups, each of the machines currently have an uptime
of only 16 day's and that's because we had to shutdown the power in our
whole company for a half day.
the best uptime i had was approx 40-50 day's, then i got the following
problem: the lotus domino server processes (not the whole machine) were
freezing every week, but that is a known problem for heavy loaded domino
servers, you have to increase the ammount of ipc memory for java or something
(of the domino server), and since i did this everything works without problems.

the "primary" lotus domino server also got quite swap happy in the last weeks,
currently he has to serve almost everything that has to do with notes, the
second server isn't realy in use yet ...

if you are interested, procinfo -a shows this on one of the 3 machines:
(all 3 are the same, except that the "primary" lotus domino server has 2 cpu's
and 2 gb ram, the other 2, have 1 cpu and 1 gb ram)