2002-10-21 10:58:05

by walt

Subject: Re: Bitkeeper outrage, old and new

Larry McVoy wrote:
.
> All you are doing is saying that your goals are better than other goals.
> That's not freedom, that is you deciding what is best for the world...

Karl Marx and Ayn Rand would be contributing to this thread by now if
they weren't both indisposed ;-)

The concept of self-sacrifice for the good of the community (altruism)
was central to their ideas: Marx thought altruism should be mandatory,
Rand thought it should be forbidden (because, in general, anything which
isn't forbidden is mandatory).

RMS is trying to thread a path between Marx and Rand, and naturally is
pissing off people on both sides. Not an enviable lot in life, but at
least he picked it himself.

2002-10-21 13:40:45

by Roman Zippel

Hi,

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, walt wrote:

> The concept of self-sacrifice for the good of the community (altruism)
> was central to their ideas: Marx thought altruism should be mandatory,

Any reference that Marx ever 'thought' something like this?
I know it's getting terrible offtopic, but this is such common
misconception. Marx delivered in first place an excellent analysis of the
capitalistic economy, which is still very much valid today. If you want to
know why current economy is going downhill, you'll will more likely find
answers there than from any of the "experts" today.
Anything else is mostly interpreted into Marx, you will hardly find any
predictions about what would come after the capitalism.

bye, Roman