2002-11-04 03:13:07

by Chris Friesen

Subject: Re: IDE BUG REPORT: 2.5.45 killed my / partition -- partially recovered

Well, it turns out that the reason I couldn't boot was a conflict
between the boot time checks and devfs (with devfs on /dev/hdb9 didn't
exist...). If I turned off devfs loading at boot everything went okay.

However, there *were* those problems that fsck.ext3 found and I'm still
kind of suspicious about them.

Chris

--
Chris Friesen | MailStop: 043/33/F10
Nortel Networks | work: (613) 765-0557

2002-11-04 09:42:29

by Jens Axboe

On Sun, Nov 03 2002, Chris Friesen wrote:
> Well, it turns out that the reason I couldn't boot was a conflict
> between the boot time checks and devfs (with devfs on /dev/hdb9 didn't
> exist...). If I turned off devfs loading at boot everything went okay.
>
> However, there *were* those problems that fsck.ext3 found and I'm still
> kind of suspicious about them.

Be sure not to tell us what hard drive you have, if you used dma or not,
etc. These kinds of clues might help us understand what the problem is.

Usually, a boot log at the least is needed.

--
Jens Axboe