2002-11-06 21:10:10

by Guillaume Boissiere

Subject: [STATUS 2.5] November 6, 2002

With Halloween behind us, I have regrouped all the remaining items on
the status list into 2 categories: 2.6 and post-2.6.
I'd be great if folks in the know could comment on the relevance of
the breakdown!

The full list is at http://www.kernelnewbies.org/status/
Enjoy!

-- Guillaume

--------------------------
Linux Kernel 2.5 Status - November 6th, 2002
(Latest kernel release is 2.5.46)

Merged
o in 2.5.45 CryptoAPI (James Morris)
o in 2.5.45 New Linux configuration system: kconfig (Roman Zippel)
o in 2.5.46 Extended Attributes and ACLs for ext2/ext3 (Ted Ts'o)
o in 2.5.46 Replace initrd by initramfs (H. Peter Anvin, Al Viro, Jeff Garzik)
o in 2.5.46 MMU-less processor support (ucLinux) (Greg Ungerer)
o in 2.5.46 Better I/O performance with epoll (Davide Libenzi)

o in -mm Page table sharing (Daniel Phillips, Dave McCracken)
o in -mm Per-cpu hot & cold page lists (Andrew Morton, Martin Bligh)
o in -dcl EVMS (Enterprise Volume Management System) (EVMS team)
o in -dcl Build option for Linux Trace Toolkit (LTT) (Karim Yaghmour)
o in -dcl Linux Kernel Crash Dumps (Matt Robinson, LKCD team)
o in -dcl NUMA aware scheduler extensions (Erich Focht, Michael Hohnbaum)

o in 2.6 Kernel Probes (kprobes) (Vamsi Krishna, kprobes team)
o in 2.6 High resolution timers (George Anzinger, etc.)
o in 2.6 Rewrite of the console layer (James Simmons)
o in 2.6 Zerocopy NFS (Hirokazu Takahashi)
o in 2.6 Support insane number of groups (Tim Hockin)
o in 2.6 SCSI and FibreChannel Hotswap Support (Steven Dake)
o in 2.6 Worldclass support for IPv6 (Alexey Kuznetsov, Dave Miller, Jun Murai, Yoshifuji
Hideaki, USAGI team)
o in 2.6 Reiserfs v4 (Reiserfs team)
o in 2.6 32bit dev_t (?)
o in 2.6 UDF Write support for CD-R/RW (packet writing) (Jens Axboe, Peter Osterlund)
o in 2.6 Fix device naming issues (Patrick Mochel, Greg Kroah-Hartman)
o in 2.6 Change all drivers to new driver model (All maintainers)
o in 2.6 USB gadget support (Stuart Lynne, Greg Kroah-Hartman)
o in 2.6 Improved AppleTalk stack (Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo)
o in 2.6 ext2/ext3 online resize support (Andreas Dilger)

o post 2.6 Kexec, syscall to load kernel from kernel (Eric Biederman)
o post 2.6 In-kernel module loader (Rusty Russell)
o post 2.6 Unified boot/parameter support (Rusty Russell)
o post 2.6 SCSI multipath IO (with NUMA support) (Patrick Mansfield, Mike Anderson)
o post 2.6 Basic NUMA API (Matt Dobson)
o post 2.6 Remove waitqueue heads from kernel structures (William Lee Irwin)
o post 2.6 NUMA aware slab allocator (Manfred Spraul, Martin Bligh)
o post 2.6 Better event logging for enterprise systems (Larry Kessler, evlog team)
o post 2.6 Page table reclamation (William Lee Irwin, Rik Van Riel)
o post 2.6 UMSDOS (Unix under MS-DOS) Rewrite (Al Viro)
o post 2.6 Overhaul PCMCIA support (David Woodhouse, David Hinds)
o post 2.6 InfiniBand support (InfiniBand team)
o post 2.6 Per-mountpoint read-only, union-mounts, unionfs (Al Viro)
o post 2.6 More complete NetBEUI stack (Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo, from Procom donated code)
o post 2.6 New mount API (Al Viro)
o post 2.6 Add thrashing control (Rik van Riel)
o post 2.6 Remove all hardwired drivers from kernel (Alan Cox, etc.)
o post 2.6 New lightweight library (klibc) (H. Peter Anvin)
o post 2.6 Scalable Statistics Counter (Ravikiran Thirumalai)
o post 2.6 Add hardware sensors drivers (lm_sensors team)

2002-11-07 02:02:44

by Rob Landley

Subject: Re: [STATUS 2.5] November 6, 2002

On Wednesday 06 November 2002 21:15, Guillaume Boissiere wrote:
> With Halloween behind us, I have regrouped all the remaining items on
> the status list into 2 categories: 2.6 and post-2.6.
> I'd be great if folks in the know could comment on the relevance of
> the breakdown!
>
> The full list is at http://www.kernelnewbies.org/status/
> Enjoy!

Does your "in 2.6" category mean during the 2.6-pre stage? I doubt James
Simmons's console layer rewrite would be dropped in between 2.6.3 and 2.6.4.
It might still go in because it was submitted by deadline and Linus still
seems to be chewing through the backlog a bit, but that does strike me as
something that people would want a crack at during the stabilization phase
(the 2.6-pre kernels). But I think it has to be before 2.6.0. (I think.)

Ditto for the IPV6 rewrite, the people who are currently using IPV6 may want a
bit of warning about it. (Unless they're going to do a new/old configuration
option nightmare thing, which seems really unlikely...)

> o in 2.6 32bit dev_t (?)

I suspect this got bumped to 2.7, but haven't heard a thing about it from Alan
or Al. Again, not a "during 2.6" item (that I know of), but that's just a
guess.

Of course since it's coming from Al, he may not bother CCing the list and just
send it straight to Linus. He's one of the few people who can get away with
that. (And vi script patches. He seems to have a personality that scares
bugs away...)

Rob

--
http://penguicon.sf.net - Terry Pratchett, Eric Raymond, Pete Abrams, Illiad,
CmdrTaco, liquid nitrogen ice cream, and caffienated jello. Well why not?