2002-11-09 21:51:58

by Rolf Eike Beer

Subject: [RFC] Clean up scsi documentation

Hi,

currently the documentation for scsi is not completely located where it should
IMHO be: in Documentation/

There are a few files in Documentation and much more files in drivers/scsi/ .
I think this should be fixed. Any thougts?

My way would be:

1) create a directory Documentation/scsi/
2) move everything to this location
3) rename some of the docs (currently the names look like "README.drivername"
but "drivername.txt" is more common in Documentation/*)
4) fix up the references
5) add a 00-INDEX file to Documentation/scsi

Linus, Marcello: would you apply such a patch? In which form would you like to
get them? One big patch? One patch that moves the files and one to fix the
references? A patch to move the files and a patch for the references?

I found also some minor bugs in some docs: trailing newlines, strange
characters etc. This will be an extra patch.

Eike

2002-11-09 22:44:26

by Douglas Gilbert

Subject: Re: [RFC] Clean up scsi documentation

Eike Beer <[email protected]> wrote:
> currently the documentation for scsi is not completely located
> where it should IMHO be: in Documentation/
>
> There are a few files in Documentation and much more files in
> drivers/scsi/ .
> I think this should be fixed. Any thougts?
>
> My way would be:
>
> 1) create a directory Documentation/scsi/
> 2) move everything to this location
> 3) rename some of the docs (currently the names look
> like "README.drivername"
> but "drivername.txt" is more common in Documentation/*)
> 4) fix up the references
> 5) add a 00-INDEX file to Documentation/scsi
<snip/>

Yes, this would be a positive step and has been proposed by
others on the linux-scsi list. It may be a bit late for the
2.4 series but the time would be right for the 2.5 series.

James Bottomley <[email protected]> and Doug Ledford
<[email protected]> are maintaining BK repositories for the
scsi subsystem in the 2.5 series. If you could submit your
patches to them, then they will find their way to Linus
in an orderly fashion.

Doug Gilbert