2002-12-04 12:22:26

Subject: stock 2.4.20: loading amd76x_pm makes time jiggle on A7M266-D

}

Attachments:
check_time.c (443.00 B)

2002-12-04 13:03:41

by Alan

On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 12:29, Kay Diederichs wrote:
> the subject says it all:
>
> if I use the powersaving module amd76x_pm then the time is not kept. The
> hardware is Asus A7M266-D with 2 MP1900 processors, BIOS is 1004 (but I
> tried later BIOS versions as well).

Boot with "notsc". Unfortunately I dont think there is a way I can make
the module turn off tsc at runtime.

2002-12-04 13:15:10

by Pedro Larroy

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 01:45:31PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 12:29, Kay Diederichs wrote:
> > the subject says it all:
> >
> > if I use the powersaving module amd76x_pm then the time is not kept. The
> > hardware is Asus A7M266-D with 2 MP1900 processors, BIOS is 1004 (but I
> > tried later BIOS versions as well).
>
> Boot with "notsc". Unfortunately I dont think there is a way I can make
> the module turn off tsc at runtime.

Hi

I've had the same issues and a lot of overruns in eth0 plus bandwith
decreased to one tenth. Does this happen because disconnecting the athlon
FSB makes impossible for the ethernet interface to perform dma on memory?

Regards.
--
O _____________________________________________________________ O
| /-| Pedro Larroy Tovar. PiotR | http://omega.resa.es/piotr |-\ |

by Alan

On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 13:22, Pedro Larroy wrote:
> I've had the same issues and a lot of overruns in eth0 plus bandwith
> decreased to one tenth. Does this happen because disconnecting the athlon
> FSB makes impossible for the ethernet interface to perform dma on memory?

The system has to wake back up at that point. There are some tunables in
the module if you want to play

2002-12-05 10:06:06

by Kay Diederichs

Alan Cox wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 12:29, Kay Diederichs wrote:
> > the subject says it all:
> >
> > if I use the powersaving module amd76x_pm then the time is not kept. The
> > hardware is Asus A7M266-D with 2 MP1900 processors, BIOS is 1004 (but I
> > tried later BIOS versions as well).
>
> Boot with "notsc". Unfortunately I dont think there is a way I can make
> the module turn off tsc at runtime.

To use "notsc" I had to set CONFIG_X86_TSC_DISABLE=y , but then init
fails (booting stops after freeing some kernel memory). Configure.help
says one has to install a TSC-checking glibc if that happens; I
installed the latest glibc-2.2.4-31 from redhat/7.2/updates but still
init fails. Are there RH7.2 compatible versions of glibc which are
TSC-checking?

I also tried
echo 01 >/proc/irq/0/smp_affinity
and it seems to improve the situation but I'm not sure if this is a good
workaround.

Kay
--
Kay Diederichs http://strucbio.biologie.uni-konstanz.de/~kay
email: Kay.Diederichs @ uni-konstanz.de Tel +49 7531 88 4049 Fax 3183

2002-12-05 16:58:38

by Alan

On Thu, 2002-12-05 at 10:13, Kay Diederichs wrote:
> installed the latest glibc-2.2.4-31 from redhat/7.2/updates but still
> init fails. Are there RH7.2 compatible versions of glibc which are
> TSC-checking?

The -i386 one rather than the -i686 one