2002-12-08 12:25:34

by Spacecake

Subject: HPT372 RAID controller

Hi,

I've been putting off posting to this mailing list, because i really
didn't want to bother all you busy kernel development type peoples :),
but after searching for about a week, i am no closer to the answer -
maybe the author of the driver can help me, or something.

Using the above raid controller, which is onboard the Abit KX7-333R
motherboard.
Using a single HDD to test it with, the HDD in question works fine using
the VIA IDE controller on the same board.
If this matters, i don't actually want RAID, i am just using it as
another IDE controller.

I'm using the 2.4.20 kernel, and i thought this controller had been
supported since 2.4.18. I'll include the relevant part of my current
.config below.

Here is what happens when i try to boot it up with the drive attatched:

(roughly)
HPT372: ide controller, PCI bus 00 dev 98
HPT372: chipset rev 5
HPT372: not 100% naitive mode, will probe irqs later.

Everything seems normal... then:

hde: dma_intr: status=0xff { busy }
hde: dma disabled
supurious 8259A interrupt

I don't know if the last line is related, but i don't think it was there
before...

ide2: reset timed out
hde: status timeout: status=0xff { busy }
hde: drive not ready for command
ide2: reset timed out, status 0xff {busy }
end_request: I/O error, dev 21:02 (hde) sector 8264
kjournald starting blah blah
end_request: I/O error, dev 21:02 (hde) sector 8264
EXT3 FS mounted readonly blah blah
end_request: I/O error, dev 21:02 (hde) sector 8264

Then it complains about not being able to find an init, etc.

Here is .config:

#
# IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices
#
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HD_IDE is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HD is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE=y
# CONFIG_IDEDISK_STROKE is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK_VENDOR is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK_FUJITSU is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK_IBM is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK_MAXTOR is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK_QUANTUM is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK_SEAGATE is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK_WD is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_COMMERIAL is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_TIVO is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECS is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDETAPE is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI is not set
# CONFIG_IDE_TASK_IOCTL is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD640 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD640_ENHANCED is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ISAPNP is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RZ1000 is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_IRQ=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_OFFBOARD=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_FORCED is not set
CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
# CONFIG_IDEDMA_ONLYDISK is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
# CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_WIP is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_TIMEOUT is not set
# CONFIG_IDEDMA_NEW_DRIVE_LISTINGS is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ADMA=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_AEC62XX is not set
# CONFIG_AEC62XX_TUNING is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ALI15X3 is not set
# CONFIG_WDC_ALI15X3 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_AMD74XX is not set
# CONFIG_AMD74XX_OVERRIDE is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD64X is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD680 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CY82C693 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CS5530 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HPT34X is not set
# CONFIG_HPT34X_AUTODMA is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HPT366=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX is not set
# CONFIG_PIIX_TUNING is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_NS87415 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_OPTI621 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC202XX is not set
# CONFIG_PDC202XX_BURST is not set
# CONFIG_PDC202XX_FORCE is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SVWKS is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SIS5513 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SLC90E66 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_TRM290 is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX=y
# CONFIG_IDE_CHIPSETS is not set
CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
# CONFIG_IDEDMA_IVB is not set
# CONFIG_DMA_NONPCI is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_MODES=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ATARAID is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ATARAID_PDC is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ATARAID_HPT is not set

I've tried setting various different options - such as enabling RAID,
but that shouldn't matter if i just want to use the controller to add
more disks.
But the above is what i believe should be working...

Any ideas?
And apologies if i am posting to the wrong list for this kind of stuff.

Regards,
- Daniel

2002-12-09 18:38:24

by Samuel Flory

Subject: Re: HPT372 RAID controller

Spacecake wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've been putting off posting to this mailing list, because i really
>didn't want to bother all you busy kernel development type peoples :),
>but after searching for about a week, i am no closer to the answer -
>maybe the author of the driver can help me, or something.
>
>Using the above raid controller, which is onboard the Abit KX7-333R
>motherboard.
>Using a single HDD to test it with, the HDD in question works fine using
>the VIA IDE controller on the same board.
>If this matters, i don't actually want RAID, i am just using it as
>another IDE controller.
>
>I'm using the 2.4.20 kernel, and i thought this controller had been
>supported since 2.4.18. I'll include the relevant part of my current
>.config below.

Things have been changing a lot in the 2.4 ide driver. Try Alan's ac
kernel. That's where all of the ide bug fixing is being done.

1)Apply ac patch
- cd ~
- wget
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/alan/linux-2.4/2.4.20/patch-2.4.20-ac1.bz2
- cd /usr/src/
- cp -a linux-2.4.20 linux-2.4.20-ac1
- cd linux-2.4.20-ac1
- bzcat ~/patch-2.4.20-ac1.bz2| patch -p1
2)Compile and install kernel
- cp .config 1
- make mrproper
- cp 1 .config
- make oldconfig
- make dep bzImage modules modules_install install
3)If you still have issues send an email to the list with 2.4.20-ac1 in
the subject. Include:
- ide section of dmesg
- output of "hdparm -vi <drive>"
- results of "hdparm -d 1 <drive>" including any thing that shows up in
dmesg afterwards.

2002-12-09 20:27:46

by Spacecake

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
So, i tried the ac patch and now it all works!
Now all my harddisks are on this controller (CD-ROM and stuff are on the
original one), i just want to make sure... this is a stable kernel,
right? And the driver, it's... stable? :)
<frets over prospect of data loss>

In future i'll always try the ac kernel before asking people.
Will this appear in 2.4.21?
I'm off to go and post in several forums with a solution to the problem
now...

Thanks a lot,
- Daniel

2002-12-09 20:47:28

by Samuel Flory

Spacecake wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Thanks for the reply.
>So, i tried the ac patch and now it all works!
>Now all my harddisks are on this controller (CD-ROM and stuff are on the
>original one), i just want to make sure... this is a stable kernel,
>right? And the driver, it's... stable? :)
><frets over prospect of data loss>

I've found the ac kernel to be fairly stable. Provided you don't
start selecting some of the new bleedin edge features. The only issues
I know with 2.4.20-ac1 were some DRI/AGP issues. I've got a new of
systems that are only stable with the ac series.

>In future i'll always try the ac kernel before asking people.
>Will this appear in 2.4.21?

It will be merged at some point in the future. When is really up to
the 2.4 maintainer, and Alan. Currently the ac ide code works better
than the mainline 2.4 ide code for me. So I'm all for a merge;-)

2002-12-09 23:47:25

by Alan

On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 20:33, Spacecake wrote:
> In future i'll always try the ac kernel before asking people.

Check the notes on -ac kernels when doing this. I try and note when
stuff is stable or not

> Will this appear in 2.4.21?

I've sent Marcelo the base of the new IDE. Need to chase down some bits
that got lost in the post, then after testing some fixes for portability
that broke sparc64.

2002-12-10 00:35:45

by Erik Andersen

On Tue Dec 10, 2002 at 12:31:47AM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Will this appear in 2.4.21?
>
> I've sent Marcelo the base of the new IDE. Need to chase down some bits
> that got lost in the post, then after testing some fixes for portability
> that broke sparc64.

It would _sure_ be nice if there were a way to test the IDE
changes vs 2.4.20 independant of all the other -ac changes...

-Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen http://codepoet-consulting.com/

by Spacecake

Hi,

> Check the notes on -ac kernels when doing this. I try and note when
> stuff is stable or not

Because of a recent crash (the first ever using linux on this hardware,
using 2.4.18 through 2.4.20), i went in search of these release notes. I
feel really stupid here, but i can't find them, not on
linux.org.uk/thefreeworld.net, google, kernel.org... umm?

The crash in question was while copying between hard disks (both on the
RAID controller) a directory tree of MP3s, about 95megs. I was in X at
the time so i couldn't see any errors if there was some, and the machine
totally locked up, tried pinging it etc, didn't work.
Can't find any errors in logfiles or anything.

The .config for the kernel was identical to my 2.4.20 config that has
never crashed, except it has IDE Taskfile IO enabled, because from the
help this seemed like a good thing.

Do you want me to provide debugging info on this? It's okay if not, i'll
just wait until stuff works in the main stable kernel :)

Thanks,
- Daniel

P.S. please CC any replies to me, i'm no longer subscribed to LKML.

2002-12-10 19:00:46

by Spacecake

> I was in X at the time

Just tried the exact same command from the console, same effect... no
errors, cursor suddenly stops blinking, HDD light remains on. Left it
for 20 mins, came back and it was still just stuck there. Had to do a
hard reset again.

- Daniel

2002-12-10 22:17:29

by Alan

On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 18:09, Spacecake wrote:
> The .config for the kernel was identical to my 2.4.20 config that has
> never crashed, except it has IDE Taskfile IO enabled, because from the
> help this seemed like a good thing.

Does the same occur without taskfile I/O ?

2002-12-10 22:44:48

by Spacecake

> Does the same occur without taskfile I/O ?

I just tried it... copying the exact same files across from the exact
same hdd etc. It didn't crash my system this time, and the files seem
okay. However - there were long pauses where CPU load was so high that X
wouldn't update the screen for about 10 seconds at a time, and things
were acting slightly weird for a few seconds after i got back my prompt.
And now the HDD light is on permanently whether i have disk access or
not. Hmm.
Though this *could* be a coincidence.