2002-12-28 19:16:19

by Harald Dunkel

Subject: vgacon: I like Tux, but ...

Hi folks,

I really like to get Tux displayed on the screen at boot time
(you should see our SMP machines with hyperthreading activated),
but if I enter single user mode, then the first 5 lines remain
unusable. I can clear the whole screen, but on scrolling upwards
the first 5 lines are stuck.

Any idea?

Regards

Harri

2002-12-28 20:50:12

by James Cloos

Subject: Re: vgacon: I like Tux, but ...

Harald> Hi folks, I really like to get Tux displayed on the screen at
Harald> boot time (you should see our SMP machines with hyperthreading
Harald> activated), but if I enter single user mode, then the first 5
Harald> lines remain unusable. I can clear the whole screen, but on
Harald> scrolling upwards the first 5 lines are stuck.

You need to issue a reset. setterm -reset will do it. Or:

echo -ne '\033c\033]R'

should.

Either look for the r1, r2, r3 and/or rs strings in /etc/termcap for
the linux terminal type, or use infocmp(1) to get the info:

infocmp -L linux|egrep reset

-JimC

2002-12-28 20:59:14

by Willy Tarreau

On Sat, Dec 28, 2002 at 08:24:26PM +0100, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I really like to get Tux displayed on the screen at boot time
> (you should see our SMP machines with hyperthreading activated),
> but if I enter single user mode, then the first 5 lines remain
> unusable. I can clear the whole screen, but on scrolling upwards
> the first 5 lines are stuck.

I'm used to clear them with a shift-pgup/shift-pgdn scroll sequence. May be
it's not the best solution, but it has worked for me for years now, so I'm
still using it.

Cheers,
Willy