2003-01-08 16:42:58

by Murray J. Root

Subject: USB CF reader reboots PC

ASUS P4S533 (SiS645DX chipset)
P4 2GHz
1G PC2700 RAM
SanDisk SDDR-77 ImageMate Dual Card Reader (using only CF cards)

----------------------------
devfs compiled in to kernel, devfs=nomount in lilo.conf

Insert CF card. mount it. cd to it, do reads and/or writes
umount card. remove card.
insert a different card (does not happen if the same card is used)
mount it. system reboots. logs are corrupted

Doesn't happen every time for read - sometimes I can read 2 or 3 cards first
Happens every time for write - if I write to a card then changing cards
causes a reboot

----------------------------
devfs=mount in lilo.conf

Insert CF card.
ls /dev shows sda and sda1
mount it.
ls /dev shows sda - no sda1
cd to mounted CF card
process hangs, sd-mod & usb-storage "busy"
rmmod -f usb-storage or sd-mod causes PC to stop
(keyboard & mouse unresponsive, wmfire frozen, net disconnects)

reboot
Insert CF card.
ls /dev shows sda & sda1
mount it.
ls /dev shows sda - no sda1
umount it
ls /dev shows sda - no sda1
modprobe -r sd-mod && modprobe sd-mod
ls /dev shows sda & sda1

--
Murray J. Root
DISCLAIMER: http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/

2003-01-08 17:25:25

by Murray J. Root

Subject: Re: USB CF reader reboots PC

Ooops - kernel 2.5.5[234]

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 11:51:30AM -0500, Murray J. Root wrote:
> ASUS P4S533 (SiS645DX chipset)
> P4 2GHz
> 1G PC2700 RAM
> SanDisk SDDR-77 ImageMate Dual Card Reader (using only CF cards)
>
> ----------------------------
> devfs compiled in to kernel, devfs=nomount in lilo.conf
>
> Insert CF card. mount it. cd to it, do reads and/or writes
> umount card. remove card.
> insert a different card (does not happen if the same card is used)
> mount it. system reboots. logs are corrupted
>
> Doesn't happen every time for read - sometimes I can read 2 or 3 cards first
> Happens every time for write - if I write to a card then changing cards
> causes a reboot
>
> ----------------------------
> devfs=mount in lilo.conf
>
> Insert CF card.
> ls /dev shows sda and sda1
> mount it.
> ls /dev shows sda - no sda1
> cd to mounted CF card
> process hangs, sd-mod & usb-storage "busy"
> rmmod -f usb-storage or sd-mod causes PC to stop
> (keyboard & mouse unresponsive, wmfire frozen, net disconnects)
>
> reboot
> Insert CF card.
> ls /dev shows sda & sda1
> mount it.
> ls /dev shows sda - no sda1
> umount it
> ls /dev shows sda - no sda1
> modprobe -r sd-mod && modprobe sd-mod
> ls /dev shows sda & sda1
>
> --
> Murray J. Root
> DISCLAIMER: http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/

Murray J. Root
DISCLAIMER: http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/
Mandrake on irc.freenode.net:
#mandrake & #mandrake-linux = help for newbies
#mdk-cooker = Mandrake Cooker
#cooker = moderated Mandrake Cooker

2003-01-08 17:41:28

by Eli Carter

Murray J. Root wrote:
> Ooops - kernel 2.5.5[234]
>
> On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 11:51:30AM -0500, Murray J. Root wrote:
>
>>ASUS P4S533 (SiS645DX chipset)
>>P4 2GHz
>>1G PC2700 RAM
>>SanDisk SDDR-77 ImageMate Dual Card Reader (using only CF cards)
>>
>>----------------------------
>>devfs compiled in to kernel, devfs=nomount in lilo.conf
>>
>>Insert CF card. mount it. cd to it, do reads and/or writes
>>umount card. remove card.
>>insert a different card (does not happen if the same card is used)
>>mount it. system reboots. logs are corrupted
>>
>>Doesn't happen every time for read - sometimes I can read 2 or 3 cards first
>>Happens every time for write - if I write to a card then changing cards
>>causes a reboot

[snip]

Somewhat similar vein, but a different set of symptoms, I've seen a
RedHat box not see that the CF card changed...
(USB SanDisk CF & SD reader, also using only CF cards.)

insert 128MB CF card.
everything is ok.
remove 128MB CF card, still see 128MB partition
insert 256MB CF card.
see 128MB partition.
(based on /proc/partitions)

I've not followed this up to figure out why yet.
You might check that situation to see if yours is related at all.

Eli
--------------------. "If it ain't broke now,
Eli Carter \ it will be soon." -- crypto-gram
eli.carter(a)inet.com `-------------------------------------------------

2003-01-08 17:50:32

by Murray J. Root

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 11:50:06AM -0600, Eli Carter wrote:
> Murray J. Root wrote:
> >Ooops - kernel 2.5.5[234]
> >
> >On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 11:51:30AM -0500, Murray J. Root wrote:
> >
> >>ASUS P4S533 (SiS645DX chipset)
> >>P4 2GHz
> >>1G PC2700 RAM
> >>SanDisk SDDR-77 ImageMate Dual Card Reader (using only CF cards)
> >>
> >>----------------------------
> >>devfs compiled in to kernel, devfs=nomount in lilo.conf
> >>
> >>Insert CF card. mount it. cd to it, do reads and/or writes
> >>umount card. remove card.
> >>insert a different card (does not happen if the same card is used)
> >>mount it. system reboots. logs are corrupted
> >>
> >>Doesn't happen every time for read - sometimes I can read 2 or 3 cards
> >>first
> >>Happens every time for write - if I write to a card then changing cards
> >>causes a reboot
> >>
> [snip]
>
> Somewhat similar vein, but a different set of symptoms, I've seen a
> RedHat box not see that the CF card changed...
> (USB SanDisk CF & SD reader, also using only CF cards.)
>
> insert 128MB CF card.
> everything is ok.
> remove 128MB CF card, still see 128MB partition
> insert 256MB CF card.
> see 128MB partition.
> (based on /proc/partitions)
>
> I've not followed this up to figure out why yet.
> You might check that situation to see if yours is related at all.

Using Mandrake Cooker and nope - it sees the change
That's actually part of the symptoms - if I put the
same card back in, no problem. It's only if I use a
different card that it reboots.

--
Murray J. Root
DISCLAIMER: http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/
Mandrake on irc.freenode.net:
#mandrake & #mandrake-linux = help for newbies
#mdk-cooker = Mandrake Cooker
#cooker = moderated Mandrake Cooker

2003-01-08 18:08:27

by Greg KH

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 11:51:30AM -0500, Murray J. Root wrote:
> devfs=mount in lilo.conf
>
> Insert CF card.
> ls /dev shows sda and sda1
> mount it.
> ls /dev shows sda - no sda1
> cd to mounted CF card
> process hangs, sd-mod & usb-storage "busy"
> rmmod -f usb-storage or sd-mod causes PC to stop
> (keyboard & mouse unresponsive, wmfire frozen, net disconnects)
>
> reboot
> Insert CF card.
> ls /dev shows sda & sda1
> mount it.
> ls /dev shows sda - no sda1
> umount it
> ls /dev shows sda - no sda1
> modprobe -r sd-mod && modprobe sd-mod
> ls /dev shows sda & sda1

So if devfs is enabled, everything works just fine?

thanks,

greg k-h

2003-01-08 18:16:17

by Murray J. Root

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 10:16:45AM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 11:51:30AM -0500, Murray J. Root wrote:
> > devfs=mount in lilo.conf
> >
> > Insert CF card.
> > ls /dev shows sda and sda1
> > mount it.
> > ls /dev shows sda - no sda1
> > cd to mounted CF card
> > process hangs, sd-mod & usb-storage "busy"
> > rmmod -f usb-storage or sd-mod causes PC to stop
> > (keyboard & mouse unresponsive, wmfire frozen, net disconnects)
> >
> > reboot
> > Insert CF card.
> > ls /dev shows sda & sda1
> > mount it.
> > ls /dev shows sda - no sda1
> > umount it
> > ls /dev shows sda - no sda1
> > modprobe -r sd-mod && modprobe sd-mod
> > ls /dev shows sda & sda1
>
> So if devfs is enabled, everything works just fine?

How did you come to that conclusion?
sda1 is where the data is - when I mount the CF sda1 disappears
from /dev and accessing the mountpoint hangs the process.

--
Murray J. Root
DISCLAIMER: http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/
Mandrake on irc.freenode.net:
#mandrake & #mandrake-linux = help for newbies
#mdk-cooker = Mandrake Cooker
#cooker = moderated Mandrake Cooker

2003-01-08 18:41:14

by Andries Brouwer

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 10:16:45AM -0800, Greg KH wrote:

> > Insert CF card.
> > ls /dev shows sda and sda1
> > mount it.
> > ls /dev shows sda - no sda1
> > cd to mounted CF card
> > process hangs, sd-mod & usb-storage "busy"
> > rmmod -f usb-storage or sd-mod causes PC to stop
> > (keyboard & mouse unresponsive, wmfire frozen, net disconnects)

> So if devfs is enabled, everything works just fine?

No. I have seen this kind of thing, and muttered a little bit
on earlier occasions.
The problem is that USB storage invents a GUID, that usually
is composed of vendor and product ID of the reader, possibly
also a serial number, but does not involve the card.
When the card goes away, the partitions stay, and the device
is treated as "not present".
When a new card is inserted confusion arises.

We see that when a device goes from "not present" to "present"
it may be necessary to throw out all data we have on it.
Thus, maybe it was pointless to keep this data when it went away.

This is somewhat related to the IDs discussion of a few days ago.
People invent IDs, but nobody knows of what precisely.

Andries

2003-01-09 15:58:00

by Murray J. Root

Subject: Re: USB CF reader reboots PC - DEVFS did it

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 11:51:30AM -0500, Murray J. Root wrote:
> ASUS P4S533 (SiS645DX chipset)
> P4 2GHz
> 1G PC2700 RAM
> SanDisk SDDR-77 ImageMate Dual Card Reader (using only CF cards)
>
> ----------------------------
> devfs compiled in to kernel, devfs=nomount in lilo.conf
>
> Insert CF card. mount it. cd to it, do reads and/or writes
> umount card. remove card.
> insert a different card (does not happen if the same card is used)
> mount it. system reboots. logs are corrupted
>
> Doesn't happen every time for read - sometimes I can read 2 or 3 cards first
> Happens every time for write - if I write to a card then changing cards
> causes a reboot
>
> ----------------------------
> devfs=mount in lilo.conf
>
> Insert CF card.
> ls /dev shows sda and sda1
> mount it.
> ls /dev shows sda - no sda1
> cd to mounted CF card
> process hangs, sd-mod & usb-storage "busy"
> rmmod -f usb-storage or sd-mod causes PC to stop
> (keyboard & mouse unresponsive, wmfire frozen, net disconnects)
>
> reboot
> Insert CF card.
> ls /dev shows sda & sda1
> mount it.
> ls /dev shows sda - no sda1
> umount it
> ls /dev shows sda - no sda1
> modprobe -r sd-mod && modprobe sd-mod
> ls /dev shows sda & sda1

New - 2.5.55
No more reboot - just a seg fault when trying to mount a new card
and process hangs if I try again (not surprising).

Removed devfs completely from build - everything works fine.
Can mount, read, write, umount many cards without a problem.