2003-01-21 19:41:49

by Joel Becker

Subject: 32bit dev_t

Folks,
Who is tracking the 32bit dev_t effort for 2.5? There are
already existing installations with 500 to 1000 disks attached to a
system, and I don't know that Linux really wants to wait four years to
get there!
If someone could point me to a current patch or any current
information about the issues, I'd really appreciate it.

Joel

--

Life's Little Instruction Book #182

"Be romantic."

Joel Becker
Senior Member of Technical Staff
Oracle Corporation
E-mail: [email protected]
Phone: (650) 506-8127

2003-01-21 21:23:17

by Steven Dake

Subject: Re: 32bit dev_t

Joel,

Linux doesn't really need a 32 bit kdev_t structure to support 1000
disks. There is plenty of device space available to support over 1500
disks by modifying the linux scsi layer.

Thanks
-steve

Joel Becker wrote:

>Folks,
> Who is tracking the 32bit dev_t effort for 2.5? There are
>already existing installations with 500 to 1000 disks attached to a
>system, and I don't know that Linux really wants to wait four years to
>get there!
> If someone could point me to a current patch or any current
>information about the issues, I'd really appreciate it.
>
>Joel

2003-01-21 21:47:06

by Joel Becker

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 02:29:17PM -0700, Steven Dake wrote:
> Linux doesn't really need a 32 bit kdev_t structure to support 1000
> disks. There is plenty of device space available to support over 1500
> disks by modifying the linux scsi layer.

First, that's an approach that removes space from other devices.
In addition, I suspect we'll see 2000 disk systems before we see 2.8.

Joel

--

"I am working for the time when unqualified blacks, browns, and
women join the unqualified men in running our overnment."

Joel Becker
Senior Member of Technical Staff
Oracle Corporation
E-mail: [email protected]
Phone: (650) 506-8127

2003-01-21 22:12:00

by Jeff Garzik

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 01:56:02PM -0800, Joel Becker wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 02:29:17PM -0700, Steven Dake wrote:
> > Linux doesn't really need a 32 bit kdev_t structure to support 1000
> > disks. There is plenty of device space available to support over 1500
> > disks by modifying the linux scsi layer.
>
> First, that's an approach that removes space from other devices.
> In addition, I suspect we'll see 2000 disk systems before we see 2.8.

Of course, we know the solution is /dev/disk, as mentioned by Linus at
least a couple times, which eliminates a lot of dev_t limitation
issues... :)

Jeff

2003-01-21 22:25:09

by Alan

On Tue, 2003-01-21 at 21:29, Steven Dake wrote:
> Joel,
>
> Linux doesn't really need a 32 bit kdev_t structure to support 1000
> disks. There is plenty of device space available to support over 1500
> disks by modifying the linux scsi layer.

You run out of assigned major/minor numbers. There is a sick hack that
steals other device idents but thats not usable in a production environment.
32bit dev_t IMHO is essential to 2.6. Essential enough that if its not in
the base 2.6 all the vendors have to get together and issue a Linus
incompatible but common 32bit dev_t interface.

2003-01-24 21:55:40

by Andries E. Brouwer

> Who is tracking the 32bit dev_t effort for 2.5?

Once or twice a year I build a kernel with 32bit or 64bit dev_t.
Every now and then submit a few patches so that doing so
remains easy. The last real change was the change in prototype
of the VFS *_mknod functions.

: 32bit dev_t IMHO is essential to 2.6. Essential enough that if its not
: in the base 2.6 all the vendors have to get together and issue a Linus
: incompatible but common 32bit dev_t interface.

The main point to decide would be the external dev_t format.
Of course the format must be compatible with existing filesystems
and binaries. For example,

#define MAJOR(dev) ((unsigned int)(((dev) & 0xffff0000) \
? ((dev) >> 16) & 0xffff : ((dev) >> 8) & 0xff))
#define MINOR(dev) ((unsigned int)(((dev) & 0xffff0000) \
? ((dev) & 0xffff) : ((dev) & 0xff)))
#define MKDEV(ma,mi) ((dev_t)((((ma) & ~0xff) == 0 && ((mi) & ~0xff) == 0) \
? (((ma) << 8) | (mi)) : (((ma) << 16) | (mi))))

This is 1-1 on nonzero majors (and zero major, 8-bit minor).

Once the decision has been made on the size of dev_t and the
computation of major,minor given a dev_t, it is straightforward
to implement that decision. Unfortunately not only the kernel
but also glibc must be changed.

In glibc one needs to fix in sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux
the files sys/sysmacros.h, bits/stat.h, ustat.c, xmknod.c.

In the kernel there are lots of tiny fixes needed because
people did not distinguish between int and dev_t and kdev_t.
Nothing major.

(Anyone can boot a 2.5 kernel with 32-bit dev_t by changing
include/asm-i386/posix_types.h
(change the line "typedef unsigned short __kernel_dev_t;"
to what is desired, e.g. s/short/int/) and changing
include/linux/kdev_t.h
(change the typedef for kdev_t to have e.g. unsigned int,
set KDEV_MINOR_BITS and KDEV_MAJOR_BITS to 16,
change the 0xff in the definition of major and minor to 0xffff,
change the definitions of MAJOR, MINOR, MKDEV as above).)

[Warning: I do such things and it works. But if you do so,
it may well destroy your filesystems. A complete patch has
minor fixes all over the place.]

Andries

2003-01-25 01:42:10

by Joel Becker

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 11:04:45PM +0100, [email protected] wrote:
> Once or twice a year I build a kernel with 32bit or 64bit dev_t.
> Every now and then submit a few patches so that doing so
> remains easy. The last real change was the change in prototype
> of the VFS *_mknod functions.

It's good to know that the actual changes are small, but I was
specifically wondering what the status was as far as inclusion. If
there are issues, what are they? Etc.

Joel

--

"In the arms of the angel, fly away from here,
From this dark, cold hotel room and the endlessness that you fear.

Joel Becker
Senior Member of Technical Staff
Oracle Corporation
E-mail: [email protected]
Phone: (650) 506-8127

2003-02-03 18:12:19

by H. Peter Anvin

Followup to: <[email protected]>
By author: [email protected]
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> The main point to decide would be the external dev_t format.
> Of course the format must be compatible with existing filesystems
> and binaries. For example,
>
> #define MAJOR(dev) ((unsigned int)(((dev) & 0xffff0000) \
> ? ((dev) >> 16) & 0xffff : ((dev) >> 8) & 0xff))
> #define MINOR(dev) ((unsigned int)(((dev) & 0xffff0000) \
> ? ((dev) & 0xffff) : ((dev) & 0xff)))
> #define MKDEV(ma,mi) ((dev_t)((((ma) & ~0xff) == 0 && ((mi) & ~0xff) == 0) \
>
> This is 1-1 on nonzero majors (and zero major, 8-bit minor).

I thought we had already decided:

12 bits major : 20 bits minor

The zero major is used for dev_t compatibility, of course.

I personally still prefer 32:32, but I got voted down.

-hpa
--
<[email protected]> at work, <[email protected]> in private!
Architectures needed: cris ia64 m68k mips64 ppc ppc64 s390 s390x sh v850 x86-64