2003-02-10 20:04:28

by Brian Murphy

Subject: mtdblock read only device broken?

Is the mtd read only block device broken in general or is it only for
mips that it
doesn't work?

Is it sheduled for removal / fixing or is it just forgotten because
everyone in the know uses the read / write driver which works.

The warning in the config option help for the read only driver seems to
imply
that it is much more reliable to use it than the caching R/W driver,
hence the
fact that I bothered looking at it at all, perhaps this recommendation
should at
least be changed.

/Brian

2003-02-11 15:46:40

by David Woodhouse

Subject: Re: mtdblock read only device broken?

On Mon, 2003-02-10 at 20:14, Brian Murphy wrote:
> Is the mtd read only block device broken in general or is it only for
> mips that it doesn't work?

It was broken during the block device overhaul and nobody bothered to
fix it up. I've now merged my latest code to Marcelo and most of the
changes from Linus' tree back into my own -- I should get round to the
next step of actually sending it to Linus some time in the next few
weeks.

--
dwmw2

2003-02-11 17:35:08

by Brian Murphy

David Woodhouse wrote:

>On Mon, 2003-02-10 at 20:14, Brian Murphy wrote:
>

>>Is the mtd read only block device broken in general or is it only for
>>mips that it doesn't work?
>>

>It was broken during the block device overhaul and nobody bothered to
>fix it up. I've now merged my latest code to Marcelo and most of the
>changes from Linus' tree back into my own -- I should get round to the
>next step of actually sending it to Linus some time in the next few
>weeks.

Thanks, can I download and test it from somewhere?

/Brian

2003-02-11 20:03:46

by David Woodhouse

On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 17:44, Brian Murphy wrote:

> Thanks, can I download and test it from somewhere?

:pserver:[email protected]:/home/cvs

module mtd, password anoncvs.

I'm not entirely convinced the block device drivers work in 2.5 at the
moment. I was holding off on fixing them up, to let the 2.5 code
actually settle down, and to see if those who changed the core code
would fix up the drivers accordingly. My merge from Linus' tree recently
was more focussed on things which were relevant for a merge to 2.4,
rather than merging back to Linus -- that's my next task.

--
dwmw2

2003-02-11 21:13:18

by Russell King

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 08:13:28PM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> I'm not entirely convinced the block device drivers work in 2.5 at the
> moment. I was holding off on fixing them up, to let the 2.5 code
> actually settle down, and to see if those who changed the core code
> would fix up the drivers accordingly. My merge from Linus' tree recently
> was more focussed on things which were relevant for a merge to 2.4,
> rather than merging back to Linus -- that's my next task.

mtdblock / mtdblock_ro should be fine; I haven't had problems with them
here in 2.5.60. Do you have any specific concerns about these two?

--
Russell King ([email protected]) The developer of ARM Linux