2003-02-12 12:23:23

by MånsRullgård

Subject: Promise SATA chips

Are there any drivers being developed for Promise's SATA chips
(e.g. the pdc20275 with PCI id 0x3375)? Or do I have to disassemble
their driver to use it on non-intel machines?

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

by Samuel Flory

Subject: Re: Promise SATA chips

M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:

>Are there any drivers being developed for Promise's SATA chips
>(e.g. the pdc20275 with PCI id 0x3375)? Or do I have to disassemble
>their driver to use it on non-intel machines?

Last I checked there was no open driver and no prospect of one. Do
yourself a favor and use the silicon image chipset.

--
There is no such thing as obsolete hardware.
Merely hardware that other people don't want.

2003-02-13 06:53:54

by MånsRullgård

Samuel Flory <[email protected]> writes:

> >Are there any drivers being developed for Promise's SATA chips
> >(e.g. the pdc20275 with PCI id 0x3375)? Or do I have to disassemble
> >their driver to use it on non-intel machines?
>
> Last I checked there was no open driver and no prospect of one. Do
> yourself a favor and use the silicon image chipset.

The problem is that no local dealers have it for sale. Neither do
they sell Hightpoint gear.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

by MånsRullgård

Alan Cox <[email protected]> writes:

> > Are there any drivers being developed for Promise's SATA chips
> > (e.g. the pdc20275 with PCI id 0x3375)? Or do I have to disassemble
> > their driver to use it on non-intel machines?
>
> As far as I am aware there is no documentation available on this
> chipset.

Shouldn't someone try to get some from them? Or has it already been
tried? I tried sending email to an address I found in the existing
pdc* driver, but it bounces.

If they refuse to cooperate like this I can Promise I will never buy
any of their cards.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

by Andre Hedrick

NOPE !!

Neither Promise or I can agree to a contract to develop them.
Use Silicon Image products.

On 12 Feb 2003, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:

> Are there any drivers being developed for Promise's SATA chips
> (e.g. the pdc20275 with PCI id 0x3375)? Or do I have to disassemble
> their driver to use it on non-intel machines?
>
> --
> M?ns Rullg?rd
> [email protected]
> -

Andre Hedrick
LAD Storage Consulting Group

2003-02-13 09:36:28

by MånsRullgård

Andre Hedrick <[email protected]> writes:

> NOPE !!
>
> Neither Promise or I can agree to a contract to develop them.

What's the problem? Can't they be made to release the source code to
the driver they provide for intel machines?

> Use Silicon Image products.

I can't get them.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

by Andre Hedrick

On 13 Feb 2003, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:

> Andre Hedrick <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > NOPE !!
> >
> > Neither Promise or I can agree to a contract to develop them.
>
> What's the problem? Can't they be made to release the source code to

The problem is they want an entire list of every piece of intellectual
property I have or own. This is a means to claim anything else I do is
derived off their IP and they own it. This will not happen.

Some other poor bastard can sign their NDA's to write their drivers.

> the driver they provide for intel machines?

Right, I count the number of fingers I have before and after I shake hands
with the folks in their camp. If I get an extra, I feel sorry for the
poor bastard who was there before me.

I still have 4 fingers and 1 thumb on each hand, and I plan to keep it
that way.

> > Use Silicon Image products.
>
> I can't get them.

Hogwash, they dominate the market space and are on all the Intel
Mainboards that are 845e and above.

Andre Hedrick
LAD Storage Consulting Group

2003-02-13 20:41:49

by Matthias Schniedermeyer

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 02:04:50AM -0800, Andre Hedrick wrote:
> On 13 Feb 2003, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
>
> > > Use Silicon Image products.
> >
> > I can't get them.
>
> Hogwash, they dominate the market space and are on all the Intel
> Mainboards that are 845e and above.

Btw. I've looked and the "HighPoint RocketRAID 1540" (4 Channel
Serial-ATA) looks "nice".

Is/Should this controller be supported by the "siimage"-driver?

Bis denn

by Andre Hedrick

This one is the HPT374 with Marvell bridge chips slapped on it.
It is natively supported with the PATA driver.

Cheers,

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:

> > > I can't get them.
> >
> > Hogwash, they dominate the market space and are on all the Intel
> > Mainboards that are 845e and above.
>
> Btw. I've looked and the "HighPoint RocketRAID 1540" (4 Channel
> Serial-ATA) looks "nice".
>
> Is/Should this controller be supported by the "siimage"-driver?
>

> Bis denn
>
> --
> Real Programmers consider "what you see is what you get" to be just as
> bad a concept in Text Editors as it is in women. No, the Real Programmer
> wants a "you asked for it, you got it" text editor -- complicated,
> cryptic, powerful, unforgiving, dangerous.

Andre Hedrick
LAD Storage Consulting Group

2003-02-14 09:31:59

by Vid Strpic

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 08:03:42AM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Samuel Flory <[email protected]> writes:
> > >Are there any drivers being developed for Promise's SATA chips
> > >(e.g. the pdc20275 with PCI id 0x3375)? Or do I have to
> > >disassemble their driver to use it on non-intel machines?
> > Last I checked there was no open driver and no prospect of one. Do
> > yourself a favor and use the silicon image chipset.
> The problem is that no local dealers have it for sale. Neither do
> they sell Hightpoint gear.

Mine do... but, I cannot find, which driver to use?

cmd64x.c? I am referring to older, non-SATA boards...

I am using 2.4 kernel (currently 2.4.20).

--
[email protected], IRC:*@Martin, /bin/zsh. C|N>K
Linux lorien 2.4.20rml #3 Sat Nov 30 20:35:09 CET 2002 i586

Attachments:
(No filename) (932.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)
Download all attachments