2003-03-15 17:08:45

by Toplica Tanaskovic

Subject: AGP 3.0 for 2.4.21-pre5

Hi, everyone!

This is my second try to backport AGP 3.0 to 2.4 tree. This backport adds
generic AGP 3.0 routines and VIA chipset specific routines.
All code is based upon Dave's code for 2.5.64, and it now respects coding
style used in 2.4 tree, so no more stupid includes, makefile changes, etc.
There is support only for VIA KT400 chipset, at the moment. When I find intel
mobo to test, I'll try to add support for intel too.
Works fine with XFree 4.2.0 and 4.3.0.
Toplica Tanaskovic

Attachments:
(No filename) (511.00 B)
agp3-2.4.21-pre5.diff.bz2 (6.65 kB)

by Toplica Tanaskovic

Subject: Re: AGP 3.0 for 2.4.21-pre5

Dana nedelja 16. mart 2003. 17:54 napisali ste:
> I tested it with my NVidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 with AGP8X. No luck for me
> yet. X is still reporting AGP 4X in the log, I get garbage on the screen
> and my PC locks up.
>
> I am not sure if this has something to do with the NVidia driver for X,
> or just a bug in your module/backport.

You have to run make clean first, or faster way go to drivers/char/agp/ and
delete any .o files, and then do make modules...

I'll have to figure out way to force compilation of agpgart if only agp 3.0
menu item was changed.
--
Pozdrav,
Tanasković Toplica

2003-03-17 05:48:51

by Willy Tarreau

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 12:08:41AM +0100, Toplica Tanaskovic wrote:
>You have to run make clean first, or faster way go to drivers/char/agp/ and
> delete any .o files, and then do make modules...
>
>I'll have to figure out way to force compilation of agpgart if only agp 3.0
> menu item was changed.

Well, you can apply your make to the agp directory only if needed :
# make clean SUBDIRS=drivers/char/agp
# make modules SUBDIRS=drivers/char/agp

I often use this, it's very convenient.

Cheers,
Willy

2003-03-17 08:12:25

by Sheng Long Gradilla

I did. If I patch the kernel, my compiling procedure is always as follows:

==================
make clean
make mrproper
make menuconfig
make dep
make modules
make bzlilo
make modules_install
shutdown -r now
==================

The module loads fine. In /var/log/messages there are reports of
detecting AGP 3.5 compatible hardware, but as I said, X just won't start
properly and will report AGP 4X mode.

I checked /proc/driver/nvidia, and it reports AGP 8X hardware and
everything.

I was thinking, I have not tested the nvidia kernel module with the 2.5
kernel. There is an unofficial patch for getting it to compile. I might
give it a try to see if it works, but that won't happen soon.

If anyone wants to give it a try, visit:

http://www.minion.de/nvidia.html