2003-05-08 21:56:23

by Felix von Leitner

Subject: 2.5.69: VIA IDE still broken

I can't believe this still isn't fixed!

hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x24
hda: lost interrupt
hda: dma_intr: bad DMA status (dma_stat=30)
hda: dma_intr: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }

hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x24
hda: lost interrupt
hda: dma_intr: bad DMA status (dma_stat=30)
hda: dma_intr: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }

My hda is in perfect health and this does not happen on the same
hardware with 2.4.* or 2.5.63. I reported this before and got the
answer that to fix this, recent changes in the IDE code would have to be
reverted. Apparently I was unreasonably hasty in assuming that that
would be done now that the need to do it has been established.

I would appreciate it if the fix would be integrated into 2.5.70.

Amazing: the only hardware components in my machine that actually work
as expected with recent Linux 2.5 kernels are the network cards, the RAM
and the keyboard, and I had to replace a tulip card with an eepro100 for
that. Even the CPU appears to run too hot with Linux, causing the
system to boot spontaneously under load, and because ACPI is terminally
broken in Linux and has been every time I tried it, I can't do much
about it. Firewire does not like me (modprobe eth1394 -> oops), IDE
loses interrupts (see above), my USB mouse stops working as soon as I
plug in my USB hard disk (which works fine on my notebook and under
Windows), using my IDE CD-R causes the machine to freeze while cdrecord
does OTP, finalizing or eject. The nvidia graphics card takes major
patching to work at all with X, and all of these components are
well-known brand components from tier 1 suppliers that were chosen for
reliability and market penetration over price. I envy people who can
still evangelize Linux under circumstances like this. I sure as hell
can not.

Felix

Subject: Re: 2.5.69: VIA IDE still broken

Apply patch.

On Fri, 9 May 2003, Felix von Leitner wrote:

> I can't believe this still isn't fixed!
>
> hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x24
> hda: lost interrupt
> hda: dma_intr: bad DMA status (dma_stat=30)
> hda: dma_intr: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
>
> hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x24
> hda: lost interrupt
> hda: dma_intr: bad DMA status (dma_stat=30)
> hda: dma_intr: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
>
> My hda is in perfect health and this does not happen on the same
> hardware with 2.4.* or 2.5.63. I reported this before and got the
> answer that to fix this, recent changes in the IDE code would have to be
> reverted. Apparently I was unreasonably hasty in assuming that that
> would be done now that the need to do it has been established.
>
> I would appreciate it if the fix would be integrated into 2.5.70.
>
> Amazing: the only hardware components in my machine that actually work
> as expected with recent Linux 2.5 kernels are the network cards, the RAM
> and the keyboard, and I had to replace a tulip card with an eepro100 for
> that. Even the CPU appears to run too hot with Linux, causing the
> system to boot spontaneously under load, and because ACPI is terminally
> broken in Linux and has been every time I tried it, I can't do much
> about it. Firewire does not like me (modprobe eth1394 -> oops), IDE
> loses interrupts (see above), my USB mouse stops working as soon as I
> plug in my USB hard disk (which works fine on my notebook and under
> Windows), using my IDE CD-R causes the machine to freeze while cdrecord
> does OTP, finalizing or eject. The nvidia graphics card takes major
> patching to work at all with X, and all of these components are
> well-known brand components from tier 1 suppliers that were chosen for
> reliability and market penetration over price. I envy people who can
> still evangelize Linux under circumstances like this. I sure as hell
> can not.
>
> Felix

So what are you waiting for? Stop whining and start hacking now!
--
Bartlomiej

Attachments:
ide_masked_irq.patch (1.10 kB)

2003-05-08 23:03:37

by Alan

On Iau, 2003-05-08 at 23:09, Felix von Leitner wrote:
> hardware with 2.4.* or 2.5.63. I reported this before and got the
> answer that to fix this, recent changes in the IDE code would have to be
> reverted. Apparently I was unreasonably hasty in assuming that that
> would be done now that the need to do it has been established.

Except that the change that triggers this seems correct, so until
someone explains the problem it won't.

> that. Even the CPU appears to run too hot with Linux, causing the
> system to boot spontaneously under load,

Sounds like your hardware is faulty.

2003-05-09 00:10:22

by Greg KH

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 12:09:10AM +0200, Felix von Leitner wrote:
> Amazing: the only hardware components in my machine that actually work
> as expected with recent Linux 2.5 kernels are the network cards, the RAM
> and the keyboard, and I had to replace a tulip card with an eepro100 for
> that. Even the CPU appears to run too hot with Linux, causing the
> system to boot spontaneously under load, and because ACPI is terminally
> broken in Linux and has been every time I tried it, I can't do much
> about it. Firewire does not like me (modprobe eth1394 -> oops), IDE
> loses interrupts (see above), my USB mouse stops working as soon as I
> plug in my USB hard disk (which works fine on my notebook and under
> Windows), using my IDE CD-R causes the machine to freeze while cdrecord
> does OTP, finalizing or eject. The nvidia graphics card takes major
> patching to work at all with X, and all of these components are
> well-known brand components from tier 1 suppliers that were chosen for
> reliability and market penetration over price. I envy people who can
> still evangelize Linux under circumstances like this. I sure as hell
> can not.

Have you filed bugs in bugzilla.kernel.org for these issues so that the
developers can know about them to fix them?

thanks,

greg k-h

2003-05-09 07:13:14

by Ed Sweetman

>Amazing: the only hardware components in my machine that actually work
>as expected with recent Linux 2.5 kernels are the network cards, the RAM
>and the keyboard, and I had to replace a tulip card with an eepro100 for
>that. Even the CPU appears to run too hot with Linux, causing the
>system to boot spontaneously under load, and because ACPI is terminally
>broken in Linux and has been every time I tried it, I can't do much
>about it. Firewire does not like me (modprobe eth1394 -> oops), IDE
>loses interrupts (see above), my USB mouse stops working as soon as I
>plug in my USB hard disk (which works fine on my notebook and under
>Windows), using my IDE CD-R causes the machine to freeze while cdrecord
>does OTP, finalizing or eject. The nvidia graphics card takes major
>patching to work at all with X, and all of these components are
>well-known brand components from tier 1 suppliers that were chosen for
>reliability and market penetration over price. I envy people who can
>still evangelize Linux under circumstances like this. I sure as hell
>can not.

that's funny. I'm using a via board with a tulip card with acpi with usb
and with the via ide controller and with an ide cdr and all of it works
PERFECTLY (2.5.69 is the first 2.5 kernel which has been as good with
all my hardware as 2.4.2x) and there are no errors generated and
everything is working very responsively which is nice for a change. I
dont have anything that does firewire so i cant say much about that. I
have an nvidia card but it's on the P4 box which uses an intel
motherboard so it's not very useful here. But my matrox card is running
better than with any other kernel according to x11perf. I also have a
wintv card working perfectly and sblive dido.

The fact that you're having cooling problems causing reboots leads me to
believe that this is a hardware related problem due to either poor
construction or insufficient cooling and it's going to be really hard to
debug problems when you have overheating problems seeing as how
overheating causes random crap to occur. And even if you did fix the
cooling you may have already caused irreversible damage to components on
the motherboard or in the cpu-itself. It's easy to still back linux with
cases like this because they're not indicative of the kernel overall or
even in an obvious way.

I for one am extremely pleased with 2.5.69 as it is much more stable
than 2.3.x kernels were as they approached 2.4.x. It's user-land
software that i'm currently fighting with as it takes userland a long
time to catch up to the latest kernel and with big api changes like no
more proc i2c interface i've gotta go without some programs (procmeter)
for sensor data (which works 100% with sysfs). That and the fact that
userland really hates bug reports when you're using an odd numbered
kernel (samba).

Felix von Leitner <[email protected]> writes:

>reliability and market penetration over price. I envy people who can
>still evangelize Linux under circumstances like this. I sure as hell
>can not.

Solution A: Don't use _development_ kernels.

Solution B: Use another OS where development snapshots have production quality.

Regards
Henning

--
Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen INTERMETA GmbH
[email protected] +49 9131 50 654 0 http://www.intermeta.de/

freelance consultant -- Jakarta Turbine Development -- hero for hire

2003-05-09 15:57:52

by Valdis Klētnieks

On Fri, 09 May 2003 00:09:10 +0200, Felix von Leitner <[email protected]> said:

> does OTP, finalizing or eject. The nvidia graphics card takes major
> patching to work at all with X, and all of these components are

Umm... see http://www.minion.de/nvidia - or have you tried that and it
still doesn't work, or you trying to get the XFree driver working, or is
it some other issue?

(One gotcha that hosed *ME* up was the fact that recent XFree86 are TLS-sensitive,
and NVidia's latest few series of drivers included TLS libs for OpenGL - but
I didn't have /lib/tls and/or /usr/lib/tls in /etc/ld.so.conf so ldconfig
didn't DTRT - THAT horqued things up but good).

Attachments:
(No filename) (226.00 B)

2003-05-10 10:44:12

by Hirling Endre

On Fri, 2003-05-09 at 00:09, Felix von Leitner wrote:

> that. Even the CPU appears to run too hot with Linux, causing the
> system to boot spontaneously under load, and because ACPI is terminally
> broken in Linux and has been every time I tried it, I can't do much
> about it. Firewire does not like me (modprobe eth1394 -> oops), IDE
> loses interrupts (see above), my USB mouse stops working as soon as I
> plug in my USB hard disk (which works fine on my notebook and under
> Windows), using my IDE CD-R causes the machine to freeze while cdrecord
> does OTP, finalizing or eject. The nvidia graphics card takes major

These sound like you have a weak power supply, try putting in a bigger
one and see if it cures the problems.

-m-

2003-05-13 20:03:27

by Bill Davidsen

On Fri, 9 May 2003, Felix von Leitner wrote:

> I can't believe this still isn't fixed!
>
> hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x24
> hda: lost interrupt
> hda: dma_intr: bad DMA status (dma_stat=30)
> hda: dma_intr: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
>
> hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x24
> hda: lost interrupt
> hda: dma_intr: bad DMA status (dma_stat=30)
> hda: dma_intr: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
>
> My hda is in perfect health and this does not happen on the same
> hardware with 2.4.* or 2.5.63.

That seems to reduce the chances of hardware problems. At the least later
kernels tickle the problem if there is one.

> hardware with 2.4.* or 2.5.63. I reported this before and got the
> answer that to fix this, recent changes in the IDE code would have to be
> reverted. Apparently I was unreasonably hasty in assuming that that
> would be done now that the need to do it has been established.
>
> I would appreciate it if the fix would be integrated into 2.5.70.

I wouldn't assume that the fix is known and as simple as you seem to
think. Other people aren't having the problem. Doesn't mean there isn't
one, but the changes you want reverted were made for a reason.

--
bill davidsen <[email protected]>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc