2003-05-11 00:31:46

by Matthew Harrell

Subject: Strange terminal problem with 2.5.6[8-9]

The last working kernel I had under my X windows system was 2.5.67-bk7. After
that point every 2.5.6[8-9] and bk patch has had one major problem on my
laptop - when I bring up a gnome-terminal or xterm the console prompt never
shows up. The terminals just hang with a blinking cursor but I never get
a prompt. If I reboot with the same setup into my 2.5.67 or any previous
kernel then everything works fine.

This is a Debian Sid system running gnome2. Any ideas?

--
Matthew Harrell Never underestimate the power of
Bit Twiddlers, Inc. very stupid people in large groups.

by Matthew Harrell

Subject: Re: Strange terminal problem with 2.5.6[8-9]

:
: The last working kernel I had under my X windows system was 2.5.67-bk7. After
: that point every 2.5.6[8-9] and bk patch has had one major problem on my
: laptop - when I bring up a gnome-terminal or xterm the console prompt never
: shows up. The terminals just hang with a blinking cursor but I never get
: a prompt. If I reboot with the same setup into my 2.5.67 or any previous
: kernel then everything works fine.
:
: This is a Debian Sid system running gnome2. Any ideas?
:

This problem still exists with all current bk patches for 2.5.69. I'm not
even sure where to look for the problem. Since nobody else has reported a
problem I'm going to boot back to an older, working kernel and assume the
problem as something to do with the configuration I'm using (attached below).
If anyone has any ideas just let me know and I'll give them a try

--
Matthew Harrell Light travels faster than sound.
Bit Twiddlers, Inc. That's why some people seem smart

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.06 kB)
.config (34.17 kB)

by Martin Schlemmer

On Thu, 2003-05-22 at 03:36, Matthew Harrell wrote:
> :
> : The last working kernel I had under my X windows system was 2.5.67-bk7. After
> : that point every 2.5.6[8-9] and bk patch has had one major problem on my
> : laptop - when I bring up a gnome-terminal or xterm the console prompt never
> : shows up. The terminals just hang with a blinking cursor but I never get
> : a prompt. If I reboot with the same setup into my 2.5.67 or any previous
> : kernel then everything works fine.
> :
> : This is a Debian Sid system running gnome2. Any ideas?
> :
>
> This problem still exists with all current bk patches for 2.5.69. I'm not
> even sure where to look for the problem. Since nobody else has reported a
> problem I'm going to boot back to an older, working kernel and assume the
> problem as something to do with the configuration I'm using (attached below).
> If anyone has any ideas just let me know and I'll give them a try

2.5.68 and later have depreciated devpts support in devfs. Thus
you have to enable:

CONFIG_DEVPTS_FS=y

and mount it during boot. Easy way is just to add to fstab:

------------------
none /dev/pts devpts defaults 0 0
------------------

Martin Schlemmer

2003-05-22 12:05:07

by Matthew Harrell

: ------------------
: none /dev/pts devpts defaults 0 0
: ------------------

Sure enough that was it. Darn it. I must have missed that change entirely.
I was compiling in devpts but still figured it was mutually exclusive with
devfs (which I am using).

Thanks

--
Matthew Harrell Never raise your hand to your
Bit Twiddlers, Inc. children - it leaves your

2003-05-22 18:21:46

by Nuno Silva

Hi!

Matthew Harrell wrote:
> : 2.5.68 and later have depreciated devpts support in devfs. Thus
> : you have to enable:
> :
> : CONFIG_DEVPTS_FS=y
> :
> : and mount it during boot. Easy way is just to add to fstab:
> :
> : ------------------
> : none /dev/pts devpts defaults 0 0
> : ------------------
>
> Sure enough that was it. Darn it. I must have missed that change entirely.
> I was compiling in devpts but still figured it was mutually exclusive with
> devfs (which I am using).
>
> Thanks

Now try:
# time ps auwx > /dev/null

Here it takes more than two seconds :) That's because ps is trying to
access /dev/pts[0-9]+ first. That results in a attempt to insert a
module for that device.

Because I was getting tired of this i made a quick hack:
# some confusion with devfsd and devpts in 2.5. Quick hack:
for i in `seq 0 512` ; do ln -s /dev/pts/$i /dev/pts$i 2>&1 >
/dev/null ; done 2>&1 > /dev/null

..in my init scripts.

Using devfs (and devfsd) and devpts.

This is "new" in 2.5.68 and 69 :)