2003-06-03 12:25:12

by Margit Schubert-While

Subject: Linux 2.4.21rc6-ac2

Alan, a few things that I think should be in (and for the next rc ?) -
1) Force inline for >= gcc 3.3
2) -march= for pentium3/4
3) Radeon 9k support
4) Junk the chipset id'ing in agp_support.h
(Not in DRI/DRM mainline and not in 2.5)
Margit

Attachments:
patchrc6ac2 (6.83 kB)

2003-06-03 12:45:51

by David van Hoose

Subject: Re: Linux 2.4.21rc6-ac2

Margit Schubert-While wrote:
> Alan, a few things that I think should be in (and for the next rc ?) -
> 1) Force inline for >= gcc 3.3
> 2) -march= for pentium3/4
> 3) Radeon 9k support
> 4) Junk the chipset id'ing in agp_support.h
> (Not in DRI/DRM mainline and not in 2.5)
> Margit

I agree on the march support. I've been using my own trivial patch for
the i386 Makefile to have direct support for the P3 and P4. Just trying
to figure out whether adding sse2 support on the compile line will
create problems. GCC does not use SSE(2) unless you explicitly tell it to.

-David

2003-06-03 12:58:25

by William Lee Irwin III

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 02:38:24PM +0200, Margit Schubert-While wrote:
> Alan, a few things that I think should be in (and for the next rc ?) -
> 1) Force inline for >= gcc 3.3
> 2) -march= for pentium3/4
> 3) Radeon 9k support
> 4) Junk the chipset id'ing in agp_support.h
> (Not in DRI/DRM mainline and not in 2.5)

This looks a lot like an announcement, except from the wrong person.
Any chance you could preface it with "Re:" or "about"?

-- wli

2003-06-03 13:10:13

by Dave Jones

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 08:58:19AM -0400, David van Hoose wrote:
> Margit Schubert-While wrote:
> >Alan, a few things that I think should be in (and for the next rc ?) -
> >1) Force inline for >= gcc 3.3
> >2) -march= for pentium3/4
> >3) Radeon 9k support
> >4) Junk the chipset id'ing in agp_support.h
> > (Not in DRI/DRM mainline and not in 2.5)
> >Margit
>
> I agree on the march support. I've been using my own trivial patch for
> the i386 Makefile to have direct support for the P3 and P4. Just trying
> to figure out whether adding sse2 support on the compile line will
> create problems. GCC does not use SSE(2) unless you explicitly tell it to.

and should only make a difference for floating point code.
Which the kernel doesn't use.

This was brought up a few weeks back on the list.

Dave

2003-06-03 13:34:58

by Margit Schubert-While

Sorry WLI , my bad :-(
Forgot to say that a patch file was attached in may original mail.

Margit

2003-06-03 14:20:17

by Jeff Garzik

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 08:58:19AM -0400, David van Hoose wrote:
> I agree on the march support. I've been using my own trivial patch for
> the i386 Makefile to have direct support for the P3 and P4. Just trying
> to figure out whether adding sse2 support on the compile line will
> create problems. GCC does not use SSE(2) unless you explicitly tell it to.

Easy: do _not_ turn on gcc's sse(2) support, when building the kernel.

Jeff