2003-06-05 11:46:21

by Marco Bagni

Subject: gcc 3.3-2 complains with arch/i386/meth-emu/poly.h

Dear Sirs,

I have found a minor bug in the file "arch/i386/meth-emu/poly.h".

It seems that gcc does not allow anymore the "implicit" continuation
of a string in the next line and complains during the compilation of the
file "arch/i386/meth-emu/poly.h" in the execution of the asm directive
of the functions "add_Xsig_Xsig" and "add_two_Xsig". I have added my
"changes" which I submit to your attention.

I know that nobody uses this math-emulation code anymore, but if it has
to be in Kernel, it must be possible to compile it without problems.

Regards

Marco Bagni

Attachments:
poly.h (4.73 kB)

2003-06-05 16:42:11

by Dan Kegel

Subject: re: gcc 3.3-2 complains with arch/i386/meth-emu/poly.h

Hi Marco,
thanks for your post - yes, we definitely need to be able to
compile with gcc-3.3. Since it looks like you're a newcomer,
here are a few tips:

When you post changes like this,
please mention which version of the kernel source you're starting from.

Also, the preferred format for posting
changes like this is as an inline patch; see
http://www.tux.org/lkml/#s1-10
http://www.tux.org/lkml/#s4-1
http://www.kegel.com/academy/opensource.html#patches

Finally, check a recent version of the kernel before posting a patch.
It looks like this issue has been fixed in 2.5; see
http://lxr.linux.no/source/arch/i386/math-emu/poly.h?v=2.5.56
You might want to check 2.4.21-pre6 to see if it's been
fixed there yet, and if not, submit a patch to Marcello,
preferably using the same approach used in the 2.5 fix.
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com