2003-05-07 20:13:02

by Marcelo Tosatti

Subject: Undo aic7xxx changes

Hi,

I've undone aic7xxx changes which were locking up some machines on
initialization.

The new driver is now named drivers/scsi/aic79xx and is under
CONFIG_AIC79XX.

Justin, unfortunately I can't even THINK about updating aic7xxx to your
new driver at the current release stage. I will do so in the 2.4.22.

The update also contains a PCI posting flush fix from Arjan.

People, please test the driver.

2003-05-09 00:33:13

by Justin T. Gibbs

Subject: Re: Undo aic7xxx changes

> Hi,
>
> I've undone aic7xxx changes which were locking up some machines on
> initialization.

Hmm. It would have been nice to have the oportunity to fix this correctly.
As it stands now, I have really no idea what people were testing or not
since by taking Alan's patch you have lost the complete change history
and the ability to step people through the changes. I have preserved
this history in the bk send output that is available on my site if at
some point that is useful to you.

> The new driver is now named drivers/scsi/aic79xx and is under
> CONFIG_AIC79XX.

So we now have an extra copy of the assembler, the Config files, and
the aiclib files. This is not a solution. If you wanted to selectively
update the aic79xx driver, all you had to do was ask me for the requisite
change sets. This is what a mainatiner is for.

> Justin, unfortunately I can't even THINK about updating aic7xxx to your
> new driver at the current release stage. I will do so in the 2.4.22.

Does this mean that you will actually take BK changes form me instead of
from just about anyone else that sends you aic7xxx driver updates? I had
pretty much given up on this.

> The update also contains a PCI posting flush fix from Arjan.

Which is completely unnecessary and in fact will cause hangs and crashes
on many Dell servers. The "fix" for the VIA systems that violate the
PCI spec is to either:

1) Update the driver correctly so that it's detection logic will
automatically disable memory mapped I/O for these broken systems.

or

2) Just disable the BIOS options that configure the system to violate
the PCI prefetching rules.

Slowing down all systems, even the ones that are *not broken* by doing
extra, random, PCI read cycles is not a fix.

If you want some verification of the Dell issue (which I'm sure will
cause problems on other "fast" systems too), just ask Matt Domsh.

Again, if you have concerns about the aic7xxx or aic79xx drivers, my
mail box is always open. Waiting to contact me until the last minute
where I can only sit on the sidelines and watch another train wreck is
not the best way to ensure that the drivers function correctly in 2.4.X.

What this basically boils down to is trust. If you don't trust me,
tell me how I can build that trust. Without it, I can only continue
to tell most people that contact me with bug reports, "It's already
fixed in the official driver. You can pull the latest from ..."

--
Justin

2003-05-09 09:54:29

by Stephan von Krawczynski

On Thu, 08 May 2003 18:45:42 -0600
"Justin T. Gibbs" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Hi,
> > [...]
> > Justin, unfortunately I can't even THINK about updating aic7xxx to your
> > new driver at the current release stage. I will do so in the 2.4.22.
>
> [...]
> Again, if you have concerns about the aic7xxx or aic79xx drivers, my
> mail box is always open. Waiting to contact me until the last minute
> where I can only sit on the sidelines and watch another train wreck is
> not the best way to ensure that the drivers function correctly in 2.4.X.
>
> What this basically boils down to is trust. If you don't trust me,
> tell me how I can build that trust. Without it, I can only continue
> to tell most people that contact me with bug reports, "It's already
> fixed in the official driver. You can pull the latest from ..."

Justin, just to complete the picture: as I wrote some days ago concerning your
hint to "use the latest from ..." your latest driver does not complete booting
on (at least) my system but freezes - which I wrote to LKML. I have not yet
heard
anything about this issue. You cannot expect to include a newer driver which
performs obviously worse in some cases.
"Worse" here means "fails" and not "performs bad". Marcelos' decision on the
topic looks pretty reasonable to me...

Regards,
Stephan

2003-05-09 11:57:43

by Willy Tarreau

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 12:06:48PM +0200, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:

> Justin, just to complete the picture: as I wrote some days ago concerning your
> hint to "use the latest from ..." your latest driver does not complete booting
> on (at least) my system but freezes - which I wrote to LKML. I have not yet
> heard
> anything about this issue. You cannot expect to include a newer driver which
> performs obviously worse in some cases.
> "Worse" here means "fails" and not "performs bad". Marcelos' decision on the
> topic looks pretty reasonable to me...

What's your setup ? Are you in SMP ? I was hit by a lock bug introduced near
6.2.30, which Justin fixed recently and included in his latest driver
(20030502). Justin suggested to me to try the NMI watchdog to find what was
wrong and it pointed us to a spinlock problem. Have you tried to debug
something ? I must say that this driver seems really robust now on my setup
(dual athlon), but perhaps your problem is of the same order and could be fixed
easily with some help, which would be good for you and everyone else.

Regards,
Willy

2003-05-09 12:49:47

by Stephan von Krawczynski

On Fri, 9 May 2003 14:06:59 +0200
Willy Tarreau <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 12:06:48PM +0200, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
>
> > Justin, just to complete the picture: as I wrote some days ago concerning
> > your hint to "use the latest from ..." your latest driver does not complete
> > booting on (at least) my system but freezes - which I wrote to LKML. I have
> > not yet heard
> > anything about this issue. You cannot expect to include a newer driver
> > which performs obviously worse in some cases.
> > "Worse" here means "fails" and not "performs bad". Marcelos' decision on
> > the topic looks pretty reasonable to me...
>
> What's your setup ? Are you in SMP ?

SMP PIII 1.4 GHz, dual Adaptec AIC-7899P U160/m (rev 01)

> I was hit by a lock bug introduced near
> 6.2.30, which Justin fixed recently and included in his latest driver
> (20030502). Justin suggested to me to try the NMI watchdog to find what was
> wrong and it pointed us to a spinlock problem. Have you tried to debug
> something ?

I cannot say which version of the driver it was, the only thing I can tell you
is that the archive was called aic79xx-linux-2.4-20030410-tar.gz.

> I must say that this driver seems really robust now on my setup
> (dual athlon), but perhaps your problem is of the same order and could be
> fixed easily with some help, which would be good for you and everyone else.

I can't tell, basic problem in my setup is that it seems virtually impossible
to bring some 100GB of data onto a streamer connected to the above aic. It
crashes almost every day with a freeze and no oops or other message. I am at
the moment willing to await 2.4.21 and see, and if that does not solve it, then
I will probably go back to a dual symbios controller which I used before and
never had any glitches with.
This is a system in production and not particularly useful for debugging a lot
and correspoding downtime.

Regards,
Stephan

2003-05-09 13:18:37

by Willy Tarreau

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 03:02:07PM +0200, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:

> I cannot say which version of the driver it was, the only thing I can tell you
> is that the archive was called aic79xx-linux-2.4-20030410-tar.gz.

That's really interesting, because I got the bug since around this version
(20030417 IIRC), and it locked up only on SMP, sometimes during boot, or
during heavy disk accesses caused by "updatedb" and "make -j dep". It's
fixed in 20030502 from http://people.freebsd.org/~gibbs/linux/SRC/

> I can't tell, basic problem in my setup is that it seems virtually impossible
> to bring some 100GB of data onto a streamer connected to the above aic. It
> crashes almost every day with a freeze and no oops or other message.

I had the same symptom which is very frustrating, I agree. I even had
difficulties to catch the NMI watchdog output which was often truncated.

> I am at the moment willing to await 2.4.21 and see, and if that does not solve it,

Well, would you at least agree to retest current version from the above URL ?
I find it a bit of a shame that the driver goes back in -rc stage.

Marcelo, do you have some information about the setup from the people who reported
hangs to you ? Perhaps we could even ask them to confirm that Justin's updated
driver fixes their problems ?

> This is a system in production and not particularly useful for debugging a lot
> and correspoding downtime.

I certainly can understand ;-)

Regards,
Willy

2003-05-09 13:34:22

by Stephan von Krawczynski

On Fri, 9 May 2003 15:27:57 +0200
Willy Tarreau <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 03:02:07PM +0200, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
>
> > I cannot say which version of the driver it was, the only thing I can tell
> > you is that the archive was called aic79xx-linux-2.4-20030410-tar.gz.
>
> That's really interesting, because I got the bug since around this version
> (20030417 IIRC), and it locked up only on SMP, sometimes during boot, or
> during heavy disk accesses caused by "updatedb" and "make -j dep". It's
> fixed in 20030502 from http://people.freebsd.org/~gibbs/linux/SRC/

I tried to merge the latest aic archive into 2.4.21-rc2, besides the "usual"
signed/unsigned warnings I got this one:

aic7xxx_osm.c: In function `ahc_linux_map_seg':
aic7xxx_osm.c:770: warning: integer constant is too large for "long" type

FYI

Stephan

2003-05-09 13:58:43

by Stephan von Krawczynski

On Fri, 9 May 2003 15:27:57 +0200
Willy Tarreau <[email protected]> wrote:

> Well, would you at least agree to retest current version from the above URL ?
> I find it a bit of a shame that the driver goes back in -rc stage.

Ok, I can tell you at least this: it boots. Just did it. I can tell tomorrow
how it behaves with my specific problem.

This is a setup with 2.4.21-rc2 and aic79xx-linux-2.4-20030502-tar.gz.

Stephan

2003-05-09 14:48:11

by Willy Tarreau

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 04:11:06PM +0200, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> On Fri, 9 May 2003 15:27:57 +0200
> Willy Tarreau <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Well, would you at least agree to retest current version from the above URL ?
> > I find it a bit of a shame that the driver goes back in -rc stage.
>
> Ok, I can tell you at least this: it boots. Just did it. I can tell tomorrow
> how it behaves with my specific problem.

Thanks for having tried ;-)

Willy

2003-05-09 14:47:14

by Willy Tarreau

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 03:46:37PM +0200, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> On Fri, 9 May 2003 15:27:57 +0200
> Willy Tarreau <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 03:02:07PM +0200, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> >
> > > I cannot say which version of the driver it was, the only thing I can tell
> > > you is that the archive was called aic79xx-linux-2.4-20030410-tar.gz.
> >
> > That's really interesting, because I got the bug since around this version
> > (20030417 IIRC), and it locked up only on SMP, sometimes during boot, or
> > during heavy disk accesses caused by "updatedb" and "make -j dep". It's
> > fixed in 20030502 from http://people.freebsd.org/~gibbs/linux/SRC/
>
> I tried to merge the latest aic archive into 2.4.21-rc2, besides the "usual"
> signed/unsigned warnings I got this one:
>
> aic7xxx_osm.c: In function `ahc_linux_map_seg':
> aic7xxx_osm.c:770: warning: integer constant is too large for "long" type

Good catch, but in fact, it's more this line which worries me :

758: if ((addr ^ (addr + len - 1)) & ~0xFFFFFFFF) {

I don't see how ~0xFFFFFFFF can be non-null on 32 bits archs, because addr is
a bus_addr_t which is in turn dma_addr_t which itself is u32. So unless I don't
find the trick this would mean that this code should never be executed. Perhaps
~0xFFFFFFFFULL would be more appropriate, or even >0xFFFFFFFF, since this can be
detected with u32 using the carry left by the addition.

Regards,
Willy

2003-05-09 14:55:36

by Arjan van de Ven

> ull on 32 bits archs, because addr is
> a bus_addr_t which is in turn dma_addr_t which itself is u32. So unless I don't
> find the trick this would mean that this code should never be executed. Perhaps

dma_addr_t is either u32 or u64 on x86

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2003-05-09 15:07:13

by William Lee Irwin III

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 04:56:21PM +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> I don't see how ~0xFFFFFFFF can be non-null on 32 bits archs, because addr is
> a bus_addr_t which is in turn dma_addr_t which itself is u32. So unless I don't
> find the trick this would mean that this code should never be executed. Perhaps
> ~0xFFFFFFFFULL would be more appropriate, or even >0xFFFFFFFF, since this can be
> detected with u32 using the carry left by the addition.

include/asm-i386/types.h line 55

#ifdef CONFIG_HIGHMEM
typedef u64 dma_addr_t;
#else
typedef u32 dma_addr_t;
#endif

-- wli

2003-05-09 15:05:36

by Andreas Schwab

Willy Tarreau <[email protected]> writes:

|> On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 03:46:37PM +0200, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:

|> > I tried to merge the latest aic archive into 2.4.21-rc2, besides the "usual"
|> > signed/unsigned warnings I got this one:
|> >
|> > aic7xxx_osm.c: In function `ahc_linux_map_seg':
|> > aic7xxx_osm.c:770: warning: integer constant is too large for "long" type
|>
|> Good catch, but in fact, it's more this line which worries me :
|>
|> 758: if ((addr ^ (addr + len - 1)) & ~0xFFFFFFFF) {
|>
|> I don't see how ~0xFFFFFFFF can be non-null on 32 bits archs

It will always be zero even on 64 bit archs, because ~0xFFFFFFFF is of
type unsigned int. The context doesn't matter.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, SuSE Labs, [email protected]
SuSE Linux AG, Deutschherrnstr. 15-19, D-90429 N?rnberg

by Willy Tarreau

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 05:08:03PM +0200, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > ull on 32 bits archs, because addr is
> > a bus_addr_t which is in turn dma_addr_t which itself is u32. So unless I don't
> > find the trick this would mean that this code should never be executed. Perhaps
>
> dma_addr_t is either u32 or u64 on x86

Yes Arjan, but it's u64 only if CONFIG_HIGHMEM is set. So I repost my question
in another way : is this code supposed to be executed when CONFIG_HIGHMEM=n
since (u32)(~0xFFFFFFFF) = 0 ?

Regards,
Willy

2003-05-12 08:49:48

by Stephan von Krawczynski

On Fri, 9 May 2003 16:57:38 +0200
Willy Tarreau <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 04:11:06PM +0200, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> > On Fri, 9 May 2003 15:27:57 +0200
> > Willy Tarreau <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > Well, would you at least agree to retest current version from the above
> > > URL ? I find it a bit of a shame that the driver goes back in -rc stage.
> >
> > Ok, I can tell you at least this: it boots. Just did it. I can tell
> > tomorrow how it behaves with my specific problem.
>
> Thanks for having tried ;-)

Hello all,

I have tried 2.4.21-rc2 with aic79xx-linux-2.4-20030502-tar.gz for three days
now and have to say it performs well. I had no freezes any more and nothing
weird happening. Everything is smooth and ok. This is the best performance I
have seen comparing all 2.4.21-X versions tested.

Thanks a lot.

I will proceed with further stress tests...

Regards,
Stephan

2003-05-12 15:31:19

by Marc-Christian Petersen

On Monday 12 May 2003 11:02, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:

> I have tried 2.4.21-rc2 with aic79xx-linux-2.4-20030502-tar.gz for three
> days now and have to say it performs well. I had no freezes any more and
> nothing weird happening. Everything is smooth and ok. This is the best
> performance I have seen comparing all 2.4.21-X versions tested.
>
> Thanks a lot.
same here. 0 Problems at all.

ciao, Marc

2003-05-12 17:18:23

by Willy Tarreau

Hi All,

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 11:02:18AM +0200, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:

> I have tried 2.4.21-rc2 with aic79xx-linux-2.4-20030502-tar.gz for three days
> now and have to say it performs well. I had no freezes any more and nothing
> weird happening. Everything is smooth and ok. This is the best performance I
> have seen comparing all 2.4.21-X versions tested.

Same here, it seems rock solid on my dual athlon and has survived several
hours of 5 simultaneous make -j 8 bzImage modules with swapping. Definitely the
most stable for me since I've switched from Doug's to Justin's driver.

Marcelo, would it be unreasonable to include it in -rc3 ? After all, it would
not be a radical update, since it was removed from -rc2 ? Just a few bug fixes.

What do you think ?

Regards,
Willy

2003-05-23 10:25:58

by Stephan von Krawczynski

On Mon, 12 May 2003 11:02:18 +0200
Stephan von Krawczynski <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, 9 May 2003 16:57:38 +0200
> Willy Tarreau <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 04:11:06PM +0200, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:

> > > Ok, I can tell you at least this: it boots. Just did it. I can tell
> > > tomorrow how it behaves with my specific problem.
> >
> > Thanks for having tried ;-)
>
> Hello all,
>
> I have tried 2.4.21-rc2 with aic79xx-linux-2.4-20030502-tar.gz for three days
> now and have to say it performs well. I had no freezes any more and nothing
> weird happening. Everything is smooth and ok. This is the best performance I
> have seen comparing all 2.4.21-X versions tested.
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> I will proceed with further stress tests...

Ok. I managed to crash the tested machine after 14 days now. The crash itself
is exactly like former 2.4.21-X. It just freezes, no oops no nothing. It looks
like things got better, but not solved.

Regards,
Stephan

2003-05-23 12:46:00

by Justin T. Gibbs

> Ok. I managed to crash the tested machine after 14 days now. The crash itself
> is exactly like former 2.4.21-X. It just freezes, no oops no nothing. It looks
> like things got better, but not solved.

What is telling you that the freeze is SCSI related? Are you running
with the nmi watchdog and have a trace? Do you have driver messages
that you aren't sharing?

--
Justin

2003-05-23 12:58:54

by Stephan von Krawczynski

On Fri, 23 May 2003 06:58:41 -0600
"Justin T. Gibbs" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Ok. I managed to crash the tested machine after 14 days now. The crash
> > itself is exactly like former 2.4.21-X. It just freezes, no oops no
> > nothing. It looks like things got better, but not solved.
>
> What is telling you that the freeze is SCSI related? Are you running
> with the nmi watchdog and have a trace? Do you have driver messages
> that you aren't sharing?

Hello Justin,

to make that clear: I am in no way sure _what_ is causing the problem. I am
only updating the (very few) infos I gave/could give during the last weeks.
>From looking at the ongoings I would say your driver patch (URL already sent
several times) made things better. This does obviously not mean that the
kernel-included aic-driver is the sole cause of the troubles.

I am in fact very pleased that rc2/aic-20030502 made things quite noticably
better than every 21-rc/pre before.

What I am giving is a positive feedback, but I have as few logs for it as I had
for the very negative I sent times ago.

Anyway, I am continuing with stress-tests on rc3/aic-20030520.

Regards,
Stephan

2003-05-23 18:19:28

by Marcelo Tosatti

On Fri, 23 May 2003, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:

> On Mon, 12 May 2003 11:02:18 +0200
> Stephan von Krawczynski <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 9 May 2003 16:57:38 +0200
> > Willy Tarreau <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Thanks for having tried ;-)
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have tried 2.4.21-rc2 with aic79xx-linux-2.4-20030502-tar.gz for three days
> > now and have to say it performs well. I had no freezes any more and nothing
> > weird happening. Everything is smooth and ok. This is the best performance I
> > have seen comparing all 2.4.21-X versions tested.
> >
> > Thanks a lot.
> >
> > I will proceed with further stress tests...
>
> Ok. I managed to crash the tested machine after 14 days now. The crash itself
> is exactly like former 2.4.21-X. It just freezes, no oops no nothing. It looks
> like things got better, but not solved.

What about rc3?

2003-05-23 19:12:28

by Stephan von Krawczynski

On Fri, 23 May 2003 15:30:33 -0300 (BRT)
Marcelo Tosatti <[email protected]> wrote:

> What about rc3?

I will inform you if anything bad happens :-)

rc3+aic20030520 tests started today.

Regards,
Stephan

2003-05-23 19:45:26

by Willy Tarreau

Hello !

On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 06:58:41AM -0600, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
> > Ok. I managed to crash the tested machine after 14 days now. The crash itself
> > is exactly like former 2.4.21-X. It just freezes, no oops no nothing. It looks
> > like things got better, but not solved.
>
> What is telling you that the freeze is SCSI related? Are you running
> with the nmi watchdog and have a trace? Do you have driver messages
> that you aren't sharing?

Stephen,

Justin is right, you should run it through the NMI watchdog, in the hope to
find something useful. If it hangs again in 14 days, you won't know why and
that may be frustrating. With the NMI watchdog, you at least have a chance to
see where it locks up, and you may find it to be within the driver, which would
help Justin stabilize it, or within any other kernel subsystem.

I had to use nmi_watchdog=2 at boot time, but other people use 1.

Regards,
Willy

2003-05-24 10:40:05

by Stephan von Krawczynski

On Fri, 23 May 2003 21:57:57 +0200
Willy Tarreau <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello !
>
> On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 06:58:41AM -0600, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
> > > Ok. I managed to crash the tested machine after 14 days now. The crash
> > > itself is exactly like former 2.4.21-X. It just freezes, no oops no
> > > nothing. It looks like things got better, but not solved.
> >
> > What is telling you that the freeze is SCSI related? Are you running
> > with the nmi watchdog and have a trace? Do you have driver messages
> > that you aren't sharing?
>
> Stephen,
>
> Justin is right, you should run it through the NMI watchdog, in the hope to
> find something useful. If it hangs again in 14 days, you won't know why and
> that may be frustrating. With the NMI watchdog, you at least have a chance to
> see where it locks up, and you may find it to be within the driver, which
> would help Justin stabilize it, or within any other kernel subsystem.
>
> I had to use nmi_watchdog=2 at boot time, but other people use 1.
>
> Regards,
> Willy

Hello Willy,

I will do that, but I am not so confident about this, because the box runs X
and a console oops output from nmi may as well not be visible nor written to
disk.

Regards,
Stephan

2003-05-24 11:03:20

by Willy Tarreau

On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 12:52:52PM +0200, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> On Fri, 23 May 2003 21:57:57 +0200
> Willy Tarreau <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > What is telling you that the freeze is SCSI related? Are you running
> > > with the nmi watchdog and have a trace? Do you have driver messages
> > > that you aren't sharing?
> >
> > Stephen,
> >
> > Justin is right, you should run it through the NMI watchdog, in the hope to
> > find something useful. If it hangs again in 14 days, you won't know why and
> > that may be frustrating. With the NMI watchdog, you at least have a chance to
> > see where it locks up, and you may find it to be within the driver, which
> > would help Justin stabilize it, or within any other kernel subsystem.
> >
> > I had to use nmi_watchdog=2 at boot time, but other people use 1.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Willy
>
> Hello Willy,
>
> I will do that, but I am not so confident about this, because the box runs X
> and a console oops output from nmi may as well not be visible nor written to
> disk.

OK, I understand. Other options are : serial console (worked for me after
several retries), remote syslogd (sometimes works if the system can still
schedule a bit), or patches such as netconsole, which sends the logs to a
remote host, and kmsgdump which tries to get them onto a floppy after a
panic or a forced dump.

Regards,
Willy

2003-05-25 10:46:52

by Stephan von Krawczynski

On Sat, 24 May 2003 13:16:08 +0200
Willy Tarreau <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Hello Willy,
> >
> > I will do that, but I am not so confident about this, because the box runs
> > X and a console oops output from nmi may as well not be visible nor written
> > to disk.
>
> OK, I understand. Other options are : serial console (worked for me after
> several retries), remote syslogd (sometimes works if the system can still
> schedule a bit), or patches such as netconsole, which sends the logs to a
> remote host, and kmsgdump which tries to get them onto a floppy after a
> panic or a forced dump.
>
> Regards,
> Willy

Hello all,

it did not take really long for rc3+aic20030520 to freeze - exactly one day.

Though I used nmi_watchdog there are no presentable outputs. As I expected the
screen simply is black and no messages are in any logfiles.
Again it froze while tar-ing about 80 GB of data onto an aic-driven SDLT. Data
is coming from IDE drive connected to a 3ware 7500-8 (though no raid
configuration).

I conclude that rc2+aic20030502 was way better.

Ah yes, one more thing: I can ping the box, but keyboard, mouse, display is
dead and usually working processes stopped (like snmp).

Willy: I am willing to try a serial console setup (as it does not interfere
with X). I have tried this before with no luck. Can you provide some hints how
you got that working (yes, I read Documentation/serial-console.txt, but I could
not manage any output on the serial line).

Regards,
Stephan

2003-05-25 12:25:45

by Willy Tarreau

Hello !

On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 12:58:11PM +0200, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> it did not take really long for rc3+aic20030520 to freeze - exactly one day.

Well, in some ways, it will be easier to debug it than when it took 14 days, if
it's the same bug, of course.

> Though I used nmi_watchdog there are no presentable outputs. As I expected the
> screen simply is black and no messages are in any logfiles.
> Again it froze while tar-ing about 80 GB of data onto an aic-driven SDLT. Data
> is coming from IDE drive connected to a 3ware 7500-8 (though no raid
> configuration).

OK, so there's a high probability that the problem is related to either SCSI or
IDE (or both), and less likely implies any other parts.

> Ah yes, one more thing: I can ping the box, but keyboard, mouse, display is
> dead and usually working processes stopped (like snmp).

that's surprizing, mine was completely dead IIRC. It's like it doesn't schedule
anymore but still processes interrupts. I don't know if a deadlock can cause
this behaviour.

> Willy: I am willing to try a serial console setup (as it does not interfere
> with X). I have tried this before with no luck. Can you provide some hints how
> you got that working (yes, I read Documentation/serial-console.txt, but I could
> not manage any output on the serial line).

I had to try several times, because the freeze was so sudden that I often
caught only a few chars. Justin even didn't believe me. First, you have to
check that CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE is enabled. After that, you'll need a remote
console which can work at high speeds (I could get interesting results at 38400
bps). Surprizingly, above I had mangled output. Perhaps my cable wasn't good
enough (flat cisco RJ45 console cable). I also disabled hard and soft flow
control. But as I already stated, in my case it was easier because it froze
every 2-3 boots, and when it didn't I only had to start a "make -j dep" to get
it. So if I got frozen with no messages, I simply hit the reset button and tried
again. It seems more complicated in your case (although your big tar may be
helping).

When your setup seems OK, you should test it to be sure. I often use "mdir"
with nothing in the drive, or AltGr-SysRq-P to get console messages. If you
don't see anything on your serial console, then your setup is not ready yet
for a test.

Oh and by the way, if you're using modules, you may find interesting to keep
copies of lsmod output, and /proc/ksyms to get a more accurate decoding with a
further ksymoops.

If you really cannot catch anything, I suggest one of these solutions :
- apply the netconsole patch and have a linux box on the same lan with the
netconsole server. You can find it in -aa kernels for example.
- apply the kmsgdump patch, only if you have a floppy drive or a parallel
printer. It will try to reset the system after a panic, and use bios calls
to write the kernel messages buffer on the media. This usually works, but
there are some corner cases where it doesn't. But it's easy to try with
AltGr-SysRq-D. Download it from http://w.ods.org/tools/kmsgdump/

Good luck !
Willy

2003-05-25 12:35:03

by Marc-Christian Petersen

On Sunday 25 May 2003 12:58, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:

Hi Stephan,

> Though I used nmi_watchdog there are no presentable outputs. As I expected
> the screen simply is black and no messages are in any logfiles.
> Again it froze while tar-ing about 80 GB of data onto an aic-driven SDLT.
> Data is coming from IDE drive connected to a 3ware 7500-8 (though no raid
> configuration).
>
> I conclude that rc2+aic20030502 was way better.
> Ah yes, one more thing: I can ping the box, but keyboard, mouse, display is
> dead and usually working processes stopped (like snmp).
> Willy: I am willing to try a serial console setup (as it does not interfere
> with X). I have tried this before with no luck. Can you provide some hints
> how you got that working (yes, I read Documentation/serial-console.txt, but
> I could not manage any output on the serial line).
before trying this, could you please update to aic20030523? Thank you.

ciao, Marc

2003-05-25 13:37:07

by Stephan von Krawczynski

On Sun, 25 May 2003 14:47:56 +0200
Marc-Christian Petersen <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sunday 25 May 2003 12:58, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
>
> Hi Stephan,

> before trying this, could you please update to aic20030523? Thank you.

Is there a changelog somewhere? What is the difference between 20030520 and 20030523 ?

Regards,
Stephan

2003-05-25 13:50:24

by Geller Sandor

On Sun, 25 May 2003, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:

> Is there a changelog somewhere? What is the difference between 20030520
> and 20030523 ?

See drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/CHANGELOG

Geller Sandor <[email protected]>

2003-05-25 13:49:34

by Marc-Christian Petersen

On Sunday 25 May 2003 15:50, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:

Hi Stephan,

> > before trying this, could you please update to aic20030523? Thank you.
> Is there a changelog somewhere? What is the difference between 20030520 and
> 20030523 ?
yes, there is a changelog. Unfortunately in the tar.gz package because the one
on Justins website isn't up2date. I've made it available on my website.

http://wolk.sf.net/tmp/AIC-CHANGELOG

ciao, Marc

2003-05-25 18:18:21

by Justin T. Gibbs

> Willy: I am willing to try a serial console setup (as it does not interfere
> with X).

Are you still running all of your tests with X up? You then have no chance
of getting any useful diagnostics without a serial console. Can't you switch
back to a vty while the test is running?

>I have tried this before with no luck. Can you provide some hints how
> you got that working (yes, I read Documentation/serial-console.txt, but
> I could not manage any output on the serial line).

You will need a null modem cable. Config a kernel with serial console
support enabled. Use a fairly high speed for your console (115200). To
enable your first serial port as a console add something like the following
to your kenrel command line:

console=ttyS0,115200 console=vty0

This will retain console output on the vty too.

--
Justin

2003-05-26 14:48:12

by Stephan von Krawczynski

On Sun, 25 May 2003 14:47:56 +0200
Marc-Christian Petersen <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sunday 25 May 2003 12:58, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
>
> Hi Stephan,
> before trying this, could you please update to aic20030523? Thank you.
>

> ciao, Marc

Hello Marc,

I did this. The combination rc3+aic20030523 survived the first day of tests. So
it seems at least better than rc3+aic20030520.

I'll keep you informed.

Regards,
Stephan

2003-05-26 16:31:55

by Willy Tarreau

On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 05:00:58PM +0200, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> On Sun, 25 May 2003 14:47:56 +0200
> Marc-Christian Petersen <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Sunday 25 May 2003 12:58, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> >
> > Hi Stephan,
> > before trying this, could you please update to aic20030523? Thank you.
> >

> > ciao, Marc
>
> Hello Marc,
>
> I did this. The combination rc3+aic20030523 survived the first day of tests. So
> it seems at least better than rc3+aic20030520.

The same has been running on my Alpha since yesterday evening on a 54GB raid0
which I transformed to raid5 (39 GB backed up to IDE ; mkraid ; 39GB restored).

Still alive.
Cheers,
Willy

2003-05-30 07:55:59

by Stephan von Krawczynski

Hello Marcelo,

I tried plain rc6 now and have to tell you it does not survive a single day of
my usual tests. It freezes during tar from 3ware-driven IDE to aic-driven SDLT.
This is identical to all previous rc (and some pre) releases of 2.4.21. So far
I can tell you that the only thing that has recently cured this problem is
replacing the aic-driver with latest of justins' releases.
As plain rc6 does definitely not work I will now switch over to
rc6+aic-20030523. Remember that rc3+aic-20030523 already worked quite ok (4
days test survived).

My personal opinion is a known-to-be-broken 2.4.21 should not be released, as a
lot of people only try/use the releases and therefore an immediately released
2.4.22-pre1 with justins driver will not be a good solution.

Regards,
Stephan

2003-05-30 08:06:39

by Marc-Christian Petersen

On Friday 30 May 2003 10:09, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:

Hi Stephan,

> I tried plain rc6 now and have to tell you it does not survive a single day
> of my usual tests. It freezes during tar from 3ware-driven IDE to
> aic-driven SDLT. This is identical to all previous rc (and some pre)
> releases of 2.4.21. So far I can tell you that the only thing that has
> recently cured this problem is replacing the aic-driver with latest of
> justins' releases.
> As plain rc6 does definitely not work I will now switch over to
> rc6+aic-20030523. Remember that rc3+aic-20030523 already worked quite ok (4
> days test survived).
same experience on my boxen (quite much with AIC)

> My personal opinion is a known-to-be-broken 2.4.21 should not be released,
> as a lot of people only try/use the releases and therefore an immediately
> released 2.4.22-pre1 with justins driver will not be a good solution.
ACK!

Maybe we should disable AIC Config option and instead add a comment like:

comment 'For AICXXXX, please go to http://people.freebsd.org/~gibbs/linux/'
comment 'and download the latest tar.gz and unpack these drivers!'
comment 'After unpacking, enable Config.in option in drivers/scsi/Config.in'

*scnr* ;)

ciao, Marc

2003-05-30 08:08:35

by Arjan van de Ven

> My personal opinion is a known-to-be-broken 2.4.21 should not be released, as a
> lot of people only try/use the releases and therefore an immediately released
> 2.4.22-pre1 with justins driver will not be a good solution.

I think you missed the point entirely before. 2.4.21 CANNOT cause
regressions most of all. At this point there is no way to know if the
thing that fixes your machine breaks on 100s others that DO work
correctly in 2.4.20. Even if it would fix 100s and break 1 it's still
not acceptable for stable kernel releases.

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2003-05-30 08:38:07

by Stephan von Krawczynski

On 30 May 2003 10:21:33 +0200
Arjan van de Ven <[email protected]> wrote:

> > My personal opinion is a known-to-be-broken 2.4.21 should not be released,
> > as a lot of people only try/use the releases and therefore an immediately
> > released 2.4.22-pre1 with justins driver will not be a good solution.
>
> I think you missed the point entirely before. 2.4.21 CANNOT cause
> regressions most of all. At this point there is no way to know if the
> thing that fixes your machine breaks on 100s others that DO work
> correctly in 2.4.20. Even if it would fix 100s and break 1 it's still
> not acceptable for stable kernel releases.

Unfortunately you miss my point (which is probably too simple to be clearly
visible):
I want to give some feedback on a topic/problem I am experiencing since _long_.
I was _asked_ to do so. Additionally I am stating my _opinion_. I am _not_
telling anybody what to do. I am not in a position to do so. Very likely only
_few_ people are in such a position, very likely the maintainer of aic and
hopefully Marcelo.
Have you read all available bug reports Justin got? If you have not, don't play
with numbers.

Another personal opinion: software development tends to make things possible
that "cannot be". ;-)

Regards,
Stephan

2003-05-30 13:22:38

by Jeff Garzik

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 10:09:00AM +0200, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> Hello Marcelo,
>
> I tried plain rc6 now and have to tell you it does not survive a single day of
> my usual tests. It freezes during tar from 3ware-driven IDE to aic-driven SDLT.
> This is identical to all previous rc (and some pre) releases of 2.4.21. So far
> I can tell you that the only thing that has recently cured this problem is
> replacing the aic-driver with latest of justins' releases.
> As plain rc6 does definitely not work I will now switch over to
> rc6+aic-20030523. Remember that rc3+aic-20030523 already worked quite ok (4
> days test survived).

Also, does the aic7xxx_old driver work for you?

The "old" part is only in regards to lack of support for very-new
aic7xxx hardware.

Jeff

2003-05-30 13:21:38

by Jeff Garzik

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 10:09:00AM +0200, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> Hello Marcelo,
>
> I tried plain rc6 now and have to tell you it does not survive a single day of
> my usual tests. It freezes during tar from 3ware-driven IDE to aic-driven SDLT.
> This is identical to all previous rc (and some pre) releases of 2.4.21. So far
> I can tell you that the only thing that has recently cured this problem is
> replacing the aic-driver with latest of justins' releases.

So Justin's driver fixes your 3ware problems???

And exactly what -rc/-pre release stopped working for you?

Jeff

2003-05-30 13:46:45

by Stephan von Krawczynski

On Fri, 30 May 2003 09:34:56 -0400
Jeff Garzik <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 10:09:00AM +0200, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> > Hello Marcelo,
> >
> > I tried plain rc6 now and have to tell you it does not survive a single day
> > of my usual tests. It freezes during tar from 3ware-driven IDE to
> > aic-driven SDLT. This is identical to all previous rc (and some pre)
> > releases of 2.4.21. So far I can tell you that the only thing that has
> > recently cured this problem is replacing the aic-driver with latest of
> > justins' releases.
>
> So Justin's driver fixes your 3ware problems???

This is _no_ 3ware problem. As I told you data comes from 3ware and goes to
aic. The problem occurs if using plain-version aic and is gone if using justins
latest releases.
As long as we do nothing with the aic driver there is no problem at all (3ware
works fine here).

> And exactly what -rc/-pre release stopped working for you?

Very good question. I can check, but I need one day per version to check. It
may well be that in fact none of the pre/rc releases worked, we have this box
since about pre3 and to my knowledge we always had the problem. Boy, we were
quite happy when we found out that Justins stuff got it going - it already got
on our nerves quite a bit ;-)

If you want to know about some special kernel release just tell me and I will
try it.

Maybe I should tell again details about the test setup as not all may remember
in this long-lasting thread.
Basically the problem seldomly arises after booting. I have the impression that
this got in fact better over the releases, earlier pre's froze earlier.
what we do:
1) copy around 50 - 100 GB of data via nfs to a 3ware drive (always works well)
2) tar this data on the nfs server from 3ware drive to aic(-driven) SDLT
(quantum)
3) verify the archived data via tar

freezes happen while 2) or 3). If you reboot after 1) they are very rare, never
on any later rc-release.
As this whole things takes time we do it overnight and have a look at the box
next morning. Not a single plain release is ok on the next morning. Checking
the logs we find out it froze in 2) or 3).
If you do exactly the same thing on exactly the same box with exactly the same
data but Justins driver everything is ok (aic-20030523). It was not ok with
aic-20030520 (just to mention this), aic-20030502 was quite ok (survived 14 days).

What else can I tell you?

Regards,
Stephan

2003-06-05 14:53:21

by Stephan von Krawczynski

Subject: Re: Undo aic7xxx changes (now rc7+aic20030603)

Hello all,

It took some days to produce output for my freezing problem. This one is rc7+aic20030603:

Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel: Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 8e30a7c5
Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel: printing eip:
Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel: c013755e
Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel: *pde = 00000000
Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel: Oops: 0000
Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel: CPU: 0
Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel: EIP: 0010:[kmem_cache_alloc_batch+78/272] Not tainted
Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel: EIP: 0010:[<c013755e>] Not tainted
Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel: EFLAGS: 00010006
Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel: eax: e62d70eb ebx: e62d70eb ecx: f57ae401 edx: 00000020
Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel: esi: 00000043 edi: 0000003a ebp: c342b060 esp: e5e63a28
Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel: ds: 0018 es: 0018 ss: 0018
Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel: Process tar (pid: 7112, stackpage=e5e63000)
Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel: Stack: c342b068 c342b070 c342b060 00000246 00000020 e7420000 c01382eb c342b060
Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel: c3461000 00000020 00000000 c342bdb8 00000000 e7420000 c013749c c342b060
Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel: 00000020 d3d05ec0 00000003 00000020 c342bdb8 00000246 00000020 e5e63b14
Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel: Call Trace: [__kmem_cache_alloc+107/304] [kmem_cache_grow+508/624] [__kmem_cache_alloc+125/304] [get_mem_for_virtual_node+87/224] [fix_nodes+198/1008]
Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel: Call Trace: [<c01382eb>] [<c013749c>] [<c01382fd>] [<c01846a7>] [<c0184bc6>]
Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel: [reiserfs_paste_into_item+147/304] [reiserfs_get_block+1989/4800] [bh_action+106/112] [tasklet_hi_action+83/160] [smp_apic_timer_interrupt+264/304] [.text.lock.buffer+191/610]
Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel: [<c0191ae3>] [<c017cca5>] [<c012252a>] [<c01223b3>] [<c0115d88>] [<c01474bd>]
Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel: [getblk+109/128] [is_tree_node+100/112] [search_by_key+1824/3792] [__block_prepare_write+479/880] [block_prepare_write+51/144] [reiserfs_get_block+0/4800]
Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel: [<c014447d>] [<c018e8f4>] [<c018f020>] [<c014503f>] [<c0145a23>] [<c017c4e0>]
Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel: [generic_file_write+970/2128] [reiserfs_get_block+0/4800] [sys_write+155/384] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel: [<c013397a>] [<c017c4e0>] [<c0141d8b>] [<c010782f>]
Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel:
Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel: Code: 8b 44 81 18 0f af da 8b 51 0c 89 41 14 01 d3 40 0f 84 89 00

Does this help?

Regards,
Stephan

2003-06-05 18:08:21

by Willy Tarreau

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 05:05:51PM +0200, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> It took some days to produce output for my freezing problem. This one is rc7+aic20030603:

Good !

It seems that it crashed in the reiserfs code rather than in aic7xxx ! perhaps
you hit 2 different bugs, or perhaps there's a race that only newer code can
trigger, or there's a leak somewhere. You may want to forward the oops to the
reiserfs team too.

> Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel: Call Trace: [<c01382eb>] [<c013749c>] [<c01382fd>] [<c01846a7>] [<c0184bc6>]
> Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel: [reiserfs_paste_into_item+147/304] [reiserfs_get_block+1989/4800] [bh_action+106/112] [tasklet_hi_action+83/160] [smp_apic_timer_interrupt+264/304] [.text.lock.buffer+191/610]
> Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel: [<c0191ae3>] [<c017cca5>] [<c012252a>] [<c01223b3>] [<c0115d88>] [<c01474bd>]
> Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel: [getblk+109/128] [is_tree_node+100/112] [search_by_key+1824/3792] [__block_prepare_write+479/880] [block_prepare_write+51/144] [reiserfs_get_block+0/4800]
> Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel: [<c014447d>] [<c018e8f4>] [<c018f020>] [<c014503f>] [<c0145a23>] [<c017c4e0>]
> Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel: [generic_file_write+970/2128] [reiserfs_get_block+0/4800] [sys_write+155/384] [system_call+51/56]
> Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel: [<c013397a>] [<c017c4e0>] [<c0141d8b>] [<c010782f>]
> Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel:
> Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel: Code: 8b 44 81 18 0f af da 8b 51 0c 89 41 14 01 d3 40 0f 84 89 00

Cheers and thanks for the test !

Willy

2003-06-06 08:03:42

by Oleg Drokin

Hello!

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 08:14:23PM +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> > It took some days to produce output for my freezing problem. This one is rc7+aic20030603:
> Good !
> It seems that it crashed in the reiserfs code rather than in aic7xxx ! perhaps
> you hit 2 different bugs, or perhaps there's a race that only newer code can
> trigger, or there's a leak somewhere. You may want to forward the oops to the
> reiserfs team too.

No, it did crashed in allocation code (you skipped one trace line):
Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel: Call Trace: [__kmem_cache_alloc+107/304] [kmem_cache_grow+508/624] [__kmem_cache_alloc+125/304]
+[get_mem_for_virtual_node+87/224] [fix_nodes+198/1008]

And the EIP is in kmem_cache_alloc_batch, sounds like it tripped on bad pointer or something like this.
So something is corrupting slab lists it seems.

Bye,
Oleg

2003-06-06 08:50:52

by Stephan von Krawczynski

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 12:17:12 +0400
Oleg Drokin <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 08:14:23PM +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> > > It took some days to produce output for my freezing problem. This one is
> > > rc7+aic20030603:
> > Good !
> > It seems that it crashed in the reiserfs code rather than in aic7xxx !
> > perhaps you hit 2 different bugs, or perhaps there's a race that only newer
> > code can trigger, or there's a leak somewhere. You may want to forward the
> > oops to the reiserfs team too.
>
> No, it did crashed in allocation code (you skipped one trace line):
> Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel: Call Trace: [__kmem_cache_alloc+107/304]
> [kmem_cache_grow+508/624]
> [__kmem_cache_alloc+125/304]+[get_mem_for_virtual_node+87/224]
> [fix_nodes+198/1008]
>
> And the EIP is in kmem_cache_alloc_batch, sounds like it tripped on bad
> pointer or something like this. So something is corrupting slab lists it
> seems.
>
> Bye,
> Oleg

I agree with you. Only problem is: how can I find out what caused the problem.
The only thing I can tell is that the box never hangs when using only HDs on
the aic & 3ware controllers. As soon as I begin to use a SDLT drive on aic
things get fishy.

Regards,
Stephan

2003-06-06 09:04:28

by Oleg Drokin

Hello!

On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 11:04:08AM +0200, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> > No, it did crashed in allocation code (you skipped one trace line):
> > Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel: Call Trace: [__kmem_cache_alloc+107/304]
> > [kmem_cache_grow+508/624]
> > [__kmem_cache_alloc+125/304]+[get_mem_for_virtual_node+87/224]
> > [fix_nodes+198/1008]
> >
> > And the EIP is in kmem_cache_alloc_batch, sounds like it tripped on bad
> > pointer or something like this. So something is corrupting slab lists it
> > seems.
> I agree with you. Only problem is: how can I find out what caused the problem.

Probably by careful code observations.

> The only thing I can tell is that the box never hangs when using only HDs on
> the aic & 3ware controllers. As soon as I begin to use a SDLT drive on aic
> things get fishy.

You do not have reiserfs filesystem on a tape drive, right? ;)
But thhat reduces the region to review to parts thqt deal with tape devices and
tape-specific stuff, it seems.

Bye,
Oleg

2003-06-06 15:11:26

by Stephan von Krawczynski

Subject: short freezing while file re-creation

Hello Oleg,

while experimenting around my other problem I noticed my box freezes for some
seconds while tar is re-creating an archive of around 70 GB size on a reiserfs
with 3ware-connected device.
This is experienced with 2.4.21-rc7. Reproducable via:

create BIG tar archive file (my size 70 GB) on a reiserfs
re-create same archive and watch box gone dead while the old archive is zapped.
(Gone dead means: mouse froze, keyboard froze, X froze)
The effect is visible for several seconds, then everything is back to normal.
It's no big deal if you are interactively dealing with the cause (tar). But if
you deal with background processes in server environment where your primary
process goes suddenly dead for seconds you are probably not amused...
Can you verify this? Is this device or fs dependant?

Regards,
Stephan

2003-06-06 15:48:46

by Oleg Drokin

Subject: Re: short freezing while file re-creation

Hello!

On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 05:24:54PM +0200, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:

> while experimenting around my other problem I noticed my box freezes for some
> seconds while tar is re-creating an archive of around 70 GB size on a reiserfs
> with 3ware-connected device.
> This is experienced with 2.4.21-rc7. Reproducable via:
> create BIG tar archive file (my size 70 GB) on a reiserfs
> re-create same archive and watch box gone dead while the old archive is zapped.
> (Gone dead means: mouse froze, keyboard froze, X froze)

Hm, I will try .

Wild guess: does this patch helps? (untessted, not even compiled, but should be safe )

Bye,
Oleg
===== stree.c 1.21 vs edited =====
--- 1.21/fs/reiserfs/stree.c Tue Mar 4 19:48:52 2003
+++ edited/fs/reiserfs/stree.c Fri Jun 6 20:01:29 2003
@@ -1773,6 +1773,8 @@
journal_begin(th, p_s_inode->i_sb, orig_len_alloc) ;
reiserfs_update_inode_transaction(p_s_inode) ;
}
+ if (current->need_resched)
+ schedule() ;
} while ( n_file_size > ROUND_UP (n_new_file_size) &&
search_for_position_by_key(p_s_inode->i_sb, &s_item_key, &s_search_path) == POSITION_FOUND ) ;

2003-06-06 18:47:38

by Chris Mason

On Fri, 2003-06-06 at 12:02, Oleg Drokin wrote:
> Hello!
>
> On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 05:24:54PM +0200, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
>
> > while experimenting around my other problem I noticed my box freezes for some
> > seconds while tar is re-creating an archive of around 70 GB size on a reiserfs
> > with 3ware-connected device.
> > This is experienced with 2.4.21-rc7. Reproducable via:
> > create BIG tar archive file (my size 70 GB) on a reiserfs
> > re-create same archive and watch box gone dead while the old archive is zapped.
> > (Gone dead means: mouse froze, keyboard froze, X froze)
>
> Hm, I will try .
>
> Wild guess: does this patch helps? (untessted, not even compiled, but should be safe )

There are still some latency issues with io in rc7, it could be a
general problem.

-chris

2003-06-06 18:56:54

by Oleg Drokin

Hello!

On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 03:00:54PM -0400, Chris Mason wrote:

> There are still some latency issues with io in rc7, it could be a
> general problem.

Hm. But I think everything that was not needing disk io (i.e. mouse stuff)
should not be affected?

Bye,
Oleg

2003-06-06 19:07:39

by Chris Mason

On Fri, 2003-06-06 at 15:10, Oleg Drokin wrote:
> Hello!
>
> On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 03:00:54PM -0400, Chris Mason wrote:
>
> > There are still some latency issues with io in rc7, it could be a
> > general problem.
>
> Hm. But I think everything that was not needing disk io (i.e. mouse stuff)
> should not be affected?

It shouldn't ;-) But the problems are still not completely understood.
This particular problem could still be reiserfs, it's hard to say right
now.

-chris

2003-06-06 22:11:17

by Lauro, John

There is still some *serious* issues on machines with large amounts of
memory and the default VM. Maybe they happen in smaller memory
systems too, just smaller boxes recover quicker?

2003-06-08 10:02:27

by Stephan von Krawczynski

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 13:17:59 +0400
Oleg Drokin <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 11:04:08AM +0200, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> > > No, it did crashed in allocation code (you skipped one trace line):
> > > Jun 5 16:53:55 admin kernel: Call Trace: [__kmem_cache_alloc+107/304]
> > > [kmem_cache_grow+508/624]
> > > [__kmem_cache_alloc+125/304]+[get_mem_for_virtual_node+87/224]
> > > [fix_nodes+198/1008]
> > >
> > > And the EIP is in kmem_cache_alloc_batch, sounds like it tripped on bad
> > > pointer or something like this. So something is corrupting slab lists it
> > > seems.
> > I agree with you. Only problem is: how can I find out what caused the problem.
>
> Probably by careful code observations.
>
> > The only thing I can tell is that the box never hangs when using only HDs on
> > the aic & 3ware controllers. As soon as I begin to use a SDLT drive on aic
> > things get fishy.
>
> You do not have reiserfs filesystem on a tape drive, right? ;)
> But thhat reduces the region to review to parts thqt deal with tape devices and
> tape-specific stuff, it seems.
>
> Bye,
> Oleg

Hello all,

in the meantime I got another oops and it looks like this:

ksymoops 2.4.8 on i686 2.4.21-rc7-aic. Options used
-V (default)
-k /proc/ksyms (default)
-l /proc/modules (default)
-o /lib/modules/2.4.21-rc7-aic/ (default)
-m /boot/System.map-2.4.21-rc7-aic (default)

Warning: You did not tell me where to find symbol information. I will
assume that the log matches the kernel and modules that are running
right now and I'll use the default options above for symbol resolution.
If the current kernel and/or modules do not match the log, you can get
more accurate output by telling me the kernel version and where to find
map, modules, ksyms etc. ksymoops -h explains the options.

Jun 8 10:48:49 linux kernel: Oops: 0000
Jun 8 10:48:49 linux kernel: CPU: 1
Jun 8 10:48:49 linux kernel: EIP: 0010:[<c013755e>] Not tainted
Using defaults from ksymoops -t elf32-i386 -a i386
Jun 8 10:48:49 linux kernel: EFLAGS: 00010006
Jun 8 10:48:49 linux kernel: eax: 5a005139 ebx: 5a005139 ecx: edb89c21 edx: 00000060
Jun 8 10:48:49 linux kernel: esi: 00000021 edi: 0000005c ebp: c342fecc esp: e4007d74
Jun 8 10:48:49 linux kernel: ds: 0018 es: 0018 ss: 0018
Jun 8 10:48:49 linux kernel: Process tar (pid: 17369, stackpage=e4007000)
Jun 8 10:48:49 linux kernel: Stack: c342fed4 c342fedc c342fecc 00000246 00000070 effa58a0 c01382eb c342fecc
Jun 8 10:48:49 linux kernel: c3467800 00000070 00000000 c1000020 effa58a0 effa58a0 c013f7d9 c342fecc
Jun 8 10:48:49 linux kernel: 00000070 00000000 c013f8a5 c349d418 f6fc1200 00000000 00000000 c1000020
Jun 8 10:48:49 linux kernel: Call Trace: [<c01382eb>] [<c013f7d9>] [<c013f8a5>] [<c01b8f73>] [<c01b929e>]
Jun 8 10:48:49 linux kernel: [<c01b936c>] [<c0145596>] [<c0139fc2>] [<c013069e>] [<c017c4e0>] [<c013124f>]
Jun 8 10:48:49 linux kernel: [<c0131531>] [<c0131ad0>] [<c0131d20>] [<c0131ad0>] [<c0141c0b>] [<c010782f>]
Jun 8 10:48:49 linux kernel: Code: 8b 44 81 18 0f af da 8b 51 0c 89 41 14 01 d3 40 0f 84 89 00

>>EIP; c013755e <kmem_cache_alloc_batch+4e/110> <=====

>>ecx; edb89c21 <_end+2d7f78e1/38547d20>
>>ebp; c342fecc <_end+309db8c/38547d20>
>>esp; e4007d74 <_end+23c75a34/38547d20>

Trace; c01382eb <__kmem_cache_alloc+6b/130>
Trace; c013f7d9 <alloc_bounce_bh+19/a0>
Trace; c013f8a5 <create_bounce+45/190>
Trace; c01b8f73 <__make_request+3d3/640>
Trace; c01b929e <generic_make_request+be/140>
Trace; c01b936c <submit_bh+4c/70>
Trace; c0145596 <block_read_full_page+2c6/2e0>
Trace; c0139fc2 <__alloc_pages+42/190>
Trace; c013069e <generic_buffer_fdatasync+5e/110>
Trace; c017c4e0 <reiserfs_get_block+0/12c0>
Trace; c013124f <generic_file_readahead+af/1a0>
Trace; c0131531 <do_generic_file_read+1c1/470>
Trace; c0131ad0 <file_read_actor+0/110>
Trace; c0131d20 <generic_file_read+140/160>
Trace; c0131ad0 <file_read_actor+0/110>
Trace; c0141c0b <sys_read+9b/180>
Trace; c010782f <system_call+33/38>

Code; c013755e <kmem_cache_alloc_batch+4e/110>
00000000 <_EIP>:
Code; c013755e <kmem_cache_alloc_batch+4e/110> <=====
0: 8b 44 81 18 mov 0x18(%ecx,%eax,4),%eax <=====
Code; c0137562 <kmem_cache_alloc_batch+52/110>
4: 0f af da imul %edx,%ebx
Code; c0137565 <kmem_cache_alloc_batch+55/110>
7: 8b 51 0c mov 0xc(%ecx),%edx
Code; c0137568 <kmem_cache_alloc_batch+58/110>
a: 89 41 14 mov %eax,0x14(%ecx)
Code; c013756b <kmem_cache_alloc_batch+5b/110>
d: 01 d3 add %edx,%ebx
Code; c013756d <kmem_cache_alloc_batch+5d/110>
f: 40 inc %eax
Code; c013756e <kmem_cache_alloc_batch+5e/110>
10: 0f 84 89 00 00 00 je 9f <_EIP+0x9f>

1 warning issued. Results may not be reliable.

This is the second oops inside kmem_cache_alloc_batch, the problem can be talked of as reproducable.
This is a 2.4.21-rc7+aic20030603 kernel.

Regards,
Stephan

2003-06-08 11:05:44

by Stephan von Krawczynski

Hello all,

looking at code around my problem I discovered this:

static inline void * __kmem_cache_alloc (kmem_cache_t *cachep, int flags)
{
unsigned long save_flags;
void* objp;

kmem_cache_alloc_head(cachep, flags);
try_again:
local_irq_save(save_flags);
#ifdef CONFIG_SMP
{
cpucache_t *cc = cc_data(cachep);

if (cc) {
if (cc->avail) {
STATS_INC_ALLOCHIT(cachep);
objp = cc_entry(cc)[--cc->avail];
} else {
STATS_INC_ALLOCMISS(cachep);
objp = kmem_cache_alloc_batch(cachep,cc,flags);
if (!objp)
goto alloc_new_slab_nolock;
}
} else {
spin_lock(&cachep->spinlock);
objp = kmem_cache_alloc_one(cachep);
spin_unlock(&cachep->spinlock);
}
}
#else
objp = kmem_cache_alloc_one(cachep);
#endif
local_irq_restore(save_flags);
return objp;
alloc_new_slab:
#ifdef CONFIG_SMP
spin_unlock(&cachep->spinlock);
alloc_new_slab_nolock:
#endif
local_irq_restore(save_flags);
if (kmem_cache_grow(cachep, flags))
/* Someone may have stolen our objs. Doesn't matter, we'll
* just come back here again.
*/
goto try_again;
return NULL;
}

I suggest it for most-absurd-goto-usage-award.

1) There seems to be no reference for symbol "alloc_new_slab"
2) "spin_unlock" (right below) is never reached
3) The not-ifdef'ed code below is only used if CONFIG_SMP
4) The code "alloc_new_slab_nolock" is referenced only once by a goto
(why not simply pasted there?)

This does not look like a problem, it only is damn ugly. I have no idea
what this code actually does, but it looks patched-to-the-limit. Has
anybody reviewed slab regarding CONFIG_SMP?

Regards,
Stephan

2003-06-08 11:35:35

by Stephan von Krawczynski

Hello author,

shoot me for the last comment regarding __kmem_cache_alloc (which means: forget
it).
Still you have significant source code duplication between "#define
kmem_cache_alloc_one" and "void* kmem_cache_alloc_batch".
How about an exit-symbol parameter?

Regards,
Stephan

2003-06-08 15:54:20

by Stephan von Krawczynski

Hello Justin,

another thing I stumbled across: if you compile the latest aic-driver
(20030603) for smp, but boot the kernel with nosmp flag, the driver hangs
during device-scan.

Regards,
Stephan

2003-06-09 14:56:54

by Stephan von Krawczynski

Hello all,

I just finished another bunch of tests around the discussed issue and it's
getting to an end.
Yesterday I started using the test box with UP kernel instead of SMP, because I
have the feeling the whole problem is somewhere around an SMP race condition.
As far as I can see now the box runs 24h stable _and_ (and this is the
important part) one problem I did not talk about till now is completely gone:

During the whole testing with SMP I recognised that the tar-verify always
brought up "content differs" warnings. Which basically means that the filesize
is ok but the content is not. As there might be various causes for this (bad
tape, bad drive, bad cabling) I did not give very much about it. But it turns
out there are no more such warnings when using an UP kernel (on the same box
with the complete same hardware including tapes).

>From this experience I would conclude the following (for my personal test
case):

1) aic-driver has problems with smp/up switching (meaning crashes when trying
an SMP build with nosmp). This is completely reproducable.

2) aic-driver (almost no matter what version) has problems with SMP setup and
tape drives. Obviously data integrity is not given. This is completely
reproducable in my test setup.

For Marcelo:
It seems you can take any version of the aic driver for small box setups with
UP, I never saw any troubles with it. As soon as you look at SMP flush it down
the t..let.

For Justin:
Thank you for your continous openness and support in the whole issue in form of
exactly _zero_ comments (,besides "how do you know aic is to blame?").

For Willy:
I honour your efforts, but we are not capable of solving the issue.

For Oleg:
Stay tuned, I will test the re-creation issue and your patch.

And now I go and buy a Symbios controller and re-try.

Regards,
Stephan

2003-06-09 21:19:24

by Justin T. Gibbs

> For Justin:
> Thank you for your continous openness and support in the whole issue in form
> of exactly _zero_ comments (,besides "how do you know aic is to blame?").

Stephan,

Other than your most recent complaint that the driver doesn't function
correctly in an SMP kernel when you specify the nosmp option, you have
yet to provide any information that points to a problem in the aic7xxx
driver. Without such information, I'm at a loss to help you. One thing
that you forgot to mention in your "report" is that data corruption can
happen in many more places than just in the aic7xxx driver. The data
could be corrupted by a VM bug, a buffer layer bug, or a filesystem
bug. When testing our drivers against RHAS2.1 we found that the stock
kernel had data corruption issues very similar to what your are talking
about when run on very fast, hyperthreading, SMP machines. The data
corruption occurred with any SCSI controller we tried, regardless of vendor.
If you continue to feel that the aic7xxx driver is at fault, I encourage you
to try to reproduce this failure with someone elses card. I think you'll
find that the problem persists even with this change.

I will be more than happy to look into why the aic7xxx driver may not
operate correctly in an SMP kernel with the nosmp option. Considering
that your complaint about this failure came into my email box just
yesterday, perhaps you can give me just a few days to look into this
before you decide to call me unresponsive. Since I'm attending a
conference this whole week, I won't even be able to look at this
until I return on Monday of next week.

I'm sorry that you are experiencing data corruption. I take those
issues very seriously, but all of your panics and other reports point
to issues elsewhere in the kernel that should be resolved before you
conclude that the data corruption you are experiencing is somehow
the aic7xxx driver's fault. I'll be more than happy to fess up to
and correct any defect that is found in the driver, but I cannot fix
bugs that I cannot reproduce and that have no usable debugging information
associated with them.

--
Justin

2003-06-10 01:36:15

by Zwane Mwaikambo

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:

> During the whole testing with SMP I recognised that the tar-verify always
> brought up "content differs" warnings. Which basically means that the filesize
> is ok but the content is not. As there might be various causes for this (bad
> tape, bad drive, bad cabling) I did not give very much about it. But it turns
> out there are no more such warnings when using an UP kernel (on the same box
> with the complete same hardware including tapes).
>
> >From this experience I would conclude the following (for my personal test
> case):

Can you also try this with 2.5?

> 1) aic-driver has problems with smp/up switching (meaning crashes when trying
> an SMP build with nosmp). This is completely reproducable.

Can you also try an SMP kernel with noapic?

> 2) aic-driver (almost no matter what version) has problems with SMP setup and
> tape drives. Obviously data integrity is not given. This is completely
> reproducable in my test setup.

I have had problems with symmetric interrupt handling but can normally get
it working with noapic. And no it doesn't appear to be an interrupt
routing problem on my box (If it is someone please clearly state what the
exact problem is to me)

Zwane
--
function.linuxpower.ca

2003-06-10 10:12:37

by Stephan von Krawczynski

On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 15:32:11 +0000
"Justin T. Gibbs" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > For Justin:
> > Thank you for your continous openness and support in the whole issue in
> > form of exactly _zero_ comments (,besides "how do you know aic is to
> > blame?").
>
> Stephan,
>
> Other than your most recent complaint that the driver doesn't function
> correctly in an SMP kernel when you specify the nosmp option, you have
> yet to provide any information that points to a problem in the aic7xxx
> driver.

Dear Justin,

I am really not complaining about you not helping specifically _me_, I am
complaining about your quite visible general opinion that this whole thing is
really not serious, or maybe it is only that you are not making your efforts
transparent to others, I don't know.

> Without such information, I'm at a loss to help you. One thing
> that you forgot to mention in your "report" is that data corruption can
> happen in many more places than just in the aic7xxx driver.

<sarcasm>Did I mention the big magnet right beside the tape?</sarcasm>

> The data
> could be corrupted by a VM bug,

VM is quite the same, tar'ing to /dev/tape or /var/bak/mybackfile.tar.

> a buffer layer bug, or a filesystem
> bug.

/dev/tape with a filesystem? Have you read what we are talking about?

> When testing our drivers against RHAS2.1 we found that the stock
> kernel had data corruption issues very similar to what your are talking
> about when run on very fast, hyperthreading, SMP machines. The data
> corruption occurred with any SCSI controller we tried, regardless of vendor.

My question is: is it solved?

> If you continue to feel that the aic7xxx driver is at fault, I encourage you
> to try to reproduce this failure with someone elses card. I think you'll
> find that the problem persists even with this change.

This is not the first discussion about an instability in aic. We had the same
thing months ago for another setup (where btw you said the same thing). Back
then I switched to symbios and everything went ok from then on. Thing is: I am
not a big learner, I just re-tried with aic now, and it happened again. I will
do the same thing now like back then: switching to symbios. Be sure I am going
to tell my experiences. Be aware that I have already received reports from
others with the same problem solving it the same way - switching away from aic.

> I will be more than happy to look into why the aic7xxx driver may not
> operate correctly in an SMP kernel with the nosmp option. Considering
> that your complaint about this failure came into my email box just
> yesterday, perhaps you can give me just a few days to look into this
> before you decide to call me unresponsive. Since I'm attending a
> conference this whole week, I won't even be able to look at this
> until I return on Monday of next week.

Justin, this is nothing quite serious, I just mentioned it for a feedback to
something _simple_.

> I'm sorry that you are experiencing data corruption. I take those
> issues very seriously, but all of your panics and other reports point
> to issues elsewhere in the kernel that should be resolved before you
> conclude that the data corruption you are experiencing is somehow
> the aic7xxx driver's fault. I'll be more than happy to fess up to
> and correct any defect that is found in the driver, but I cannot fix
> bugs that I cannot reproduce and that have no usable debugging information
> associated with them.

What exactly is "elsewhere" if your data is bogus when tar'ing onto /dev/tape
via aic and it is completely ok when tar'ing into a file via reiserfs/3ware ?
There is not really much left between tar and the aic-driver and the tape.
Where is your favourite in this game?

Regards,
Stephan

2003-06-10 10:17:16

by Stephan von Krawczynski

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 21:38:16 -0400 (EDT)
Zwane Mwaikambo <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
>
> > During the whole testing with SMP I recognised that the tar-verify always
> > brought up "content differs" warnings. Which basically means that the
> > filesize is ok but the content is not. As there might be various causes for
> > this (bad tape, bad drive, bad cabling) I did not give very much about it.
> > But it turns out there are no more such warnings when using an UP kernel
> > (on the same box with the complete same hardware including tapes).
> >
> > >From this experience I would conclude the following (for my personal test
> > case):
>
> Can you also try this with 2.5?

Uh, do I trust Linus ? ;-) Well, probably I am going to take a look. The whole
story eats a lot of time as I have to deal with GBs of data for every single
test.

> > 1) aic-driver has problems with smp/up switching (meaning crashes when
> > trying an SMP build with nosmp). This is completely reproducable.
>
> Can you also try an SMP kernel with noapic?

Can you clarify? Do you mean options "nosmp noapic" or just "noapic" on SMP
kernel?

> > 2) aic-driver (almost no matter what version) has problems with SMP setup
> > and tape drives. Obviously data integrity is not given. This is completely
> > reproducable in my test setup.
>
> I have had problems with symmetric interrupt handling but can normally get
> it working with noapic. And no it doesn't appear to be an interrupt
> routing problem on my box (If it is someone please clearly state what the
> exact problem is to me)

Hm, my question is: if it were exclusively an apic problem, why do other
controllers (in a filesystem environment) work flawlessly. Maybe the driver and
apic simply have differing opinions in certain race cases, but that does not
mean that apic is always to blame, does it?

Regards,
Stephan

2003-06-10 12:51:22

by Zwane Mwaikambo

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:

> Uh, do I trust Linus ? ;-) Well, probably I am going to take a look. The whole
> story eats a lot of time as I have to deal with GBs of data for every single
> test.

Cool, i'll wait on that then.

> Can you clarify? Do you mean options "nosmp noapic" or just "noapic" on SMP
> kernel?

Kernel built with CONFIG_SMP and booted with 'noapic' kernel parameter

> Hm, my question is: if it were exclusively an apic problem, why do other
> controllers (in a filesystem environment) work flawlessly. Maybe the driver and
> apic simply have differing opinions in certain race cases, but that does not
> mean that apic is always to blame, does it?

I'm a bit wary of blaming the interrupt routing setup, as i have also
noted that other devices work fine. But we have to be objective and try
and isolate things first. You seem to have a good head start on that.

Zwane
--
function.linuxpower.ca

2003-06-10 13:25:21

by Stephan von Krawczynski

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 08:51:35 -0400 (EDT)
Zwane Mwaikambo <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Can you clarify? Do you mean options "nosmp noapic" or just "noapic" on SMP
> > kernel?
>
> Kernel built with CONFIG_SMP and booted with 'noapic' kernel parameter

Ok. To speed up the tests I call it "ok" if there are no verify errors within
70 GB and "fail" if there are one or more.
I have tried rc7+aic20030603 SMP with noapic and it is ok.

/proc/interrupts:

CPU0 CPU1
0: 1061143 0 XT-PIC timer
1: 6582 0 XT-PIC keyboard
2: 0 0 XT-PIC cascade
5: 1229 0 XT-PIC EMU10K1
9: 9269694 0 XT-PIC aic7xxx, aic7xxx, 3ware Storage Controller, fcpcipnp, eth0, eth1, eth2
12: 129555 0 XT-PIC PS/2 Mouse
15: 4 0 XT-PIC ide1
NMI: 0 0
LOC: 1061054 1061028
ERR: 1
MIS: 0

Reading around the whole interrupt stuff I came across a very simple idea which
I am going to test right now. See you in some hours ;-)

Regards,
Stephan

2003-06-10 13:53:08

by Zwane Mwaikambo

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 08:51:35 -0400 (EDT)
> Zwane Mwaikambo <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > > Can you clarify? Do you mean options "nosmp noapic" or just "noapic" on SMP
> > > kernel?
> >
> > Kernel built with CONFIG_SMP and booted with 'noapic' kernel parameter
>
> Ok. To speed up the tests I call it "ok" if there are no verify errors within
> 70 GB and "fail" if there are one or more.
> I have tried rc7+aic20030603 SMP with noapic and it is ok.

Can you also test it with an SMP kernel and only maxcpus=1 ?

> Reading around the whole interrupt stuff I came across a very simple idea which
> I am going to test right now. See you in some hours ;-)

Cool

Zwane
--
function.linuxpower.ca

2003-06-10 15:30:28

by Justin T. Gibbs

>> Stephan,
>>
>> Other than your most recent complaint that the driver doesn't function
>> correctly in an SMP kernel when you specify the nosmp option, you have
>> yet to provide any information that points to a problem in the aic7xxx
>> driver.
>
> Dear Justin,
>
> I am really not complaining about you not helping specifically _me_, I am
> complaining about your quite visible general opinion that this whole thing is
> really not serious, or maybe it is only that you are not making your efforts
> transparent to others, I don't know.

I never said that it wasn't serios, I just haven't seen any indication
that this problem is caused by my driver. There is a big difference.
If your complaint is that I typically help people to solve their problems
*off-list*, then I'm sorry if that offends your sensibilities.
I personally don't think that I need to CC a million people while I'm
passing back various debugging information and asking for new output. Its
just a lot of noise for the majority of people on the linux-kernel list.

>> Without such information, I'm at a loss to help you. One thing
>> that you forgot to mention in your "report" is that data corruption can
>> happen in many more places than just in the aic7xxx driver.
>
> <sarcasm>Did I mention the big magnet right beside the tape?</sarcasm>

I'm just sick of being blamed for anything that goes wrong on any system
that happens to have an aic7xxx controller in it. 99% or the time its
not my fault, but I suppose since I debug and resolve these issues off
list for people that contact me, the general assumption is that these
issues are the aic7xxx driver's fault.

>> The data could be corrupted by a VM bug,
>
> VM is quite the same, tar'ing to /dev/tape or /var/bak/mybackfile.tar.

No, the VM activity is quite different.

>> a buffer layer bug, or a filesystem bug.
>
> /dev/tape with a filesystem? Have you read what we are talking about?

Where did you get the data to place on the tape? /dev/zero?

>> When testing our drivers against RHAS2.1 we found that the stock
>> kernel had data corruption issues very similar to what your are talking
>> about when run on very fast, hyperthreading, SMP machines. The data
>> corruption occurred with any SCSI controller we tried, regardless of vendor.
>
> My question is: is it solved?

My understanding is that it was fixed in 2.4.18 level kernels, but since
I don't know the root cause of the corruption, it could have just been
made more difficult to reproduce.

>> If you continue to feel that the aic7xxx driver is at fault, I encourage you
>> to try to reproduce this failure with someone elses card. I think you'll
>> find that the problem persists even with this change.
>
> This is not the first discussion about an instability in aic.

I'm not talking about *every case of aic7xxx driver instability*, I'm
talking about *this particular case* of driver instability. Problems
that to the naive user look similar are typically not.

>> I will be more than happy to look into why the aic7xxx driver may not
>> operate correctly in an SMP kernel with the nosmp option. Considering
>> that your complaint about this failure came into my email box just
>> yesterday, perhaps you can give me just a few days to look into this
>> before you decide to call me unresponsive. Since I'm attending a
>> conference this whole week, I won't even be able to look at this
>> until I return on Monday of next week.
>
> Justin, this is nothing quite serious, I just mentioned it for a feedback to
> something _simple_.

It's the only thing you've mentioned that I have enough information to
look at.

>> I'm sorry that you are experiencing data corruption. I take those
>> issues very seriously, but all of your panics and other reports point
>> to issues elsewhere in the kernel that should be resolved before you
>> conclude that the data corruption you are experiencing is somehow
>> the aic7xxx driver's fault. I'll be more than happy to fess up to
>> and correct any defect that is found in the driver, but I cannot fix
>> bugs that I cannot reproduce and that have no usable debugging information
>> associated with them.
>
> What exactly is "elsewhere" if your data is bogus when tar'ing onto /dev/tape
> via aic and it is completely ok when tar'ing into a file via reiserfs/3ware ?
> There is not really much left between tar and the aic-driver and the tape.

I suggest you go browse the code that is exercised by such an activity
before you say that.

--
Jusitn

2003-06-10 15:42:12

by Stephan von Krawczynski

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 09:51:34 -0400 (EDT)
Zwane Mwaikambo <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Reading around the whole interrupt stuff I came across a very simple idea which
> > I am going to test right now. See you in some hours ;-)
>
> Cool

Hoho, how about this one:

ksymoops 2.4.8 on i686 2.4.21-rc7-aic. Options used
-V (default)
-k /proc/ksyms (default)
-l /proc/modules (default)
-o /lib/modules/2.4.21-rc7-aic/ (default)
-m /boot/System.map-2.4.21-rc7-aic (default)

Warning: You did not tell me where to find symbol information. I will
assume that the log matches the kernel and modules that are running
right now and I'll use the default options above for symbol resolution.
If the current kernel and/or modules do not match the log, you can get
more accurate output by telling me the kernel version and where to find
map, modules, ksyms etc. ksymoops -h explains the options.

Jun 10 17:50:53 admin kernel: Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000b2c
Jun 10 17:50:53 admin kernel: c0221c37
Jun 10 17:50:53 admin kernel: *pde = 00000000
Jun 10 17:50:53 admin kernel: Oops: 0000
Jun 10 17:50:53 admin kernel: CPU: 0
Jun 10 17:50:53 admin kernel: EIP: 0010:[st_do_scsi+295/384] Not tainted
Jun 10 17:50:53 admin kernel: EIP: 0010:[<c0221c37>] Not tainted
Using defaults from ksymoops -t elf32-i386 -a i386
Jun 10 17:50:53 admin kernel: EFLAGS: 00010246
Jun 10 17:50:53 admin kernel: eax: 00000000 ebx: 00000001 ecx: 00000000 edx: c34a0424
Jun 10 17:50:53 admin kernel: esi: f5f2c180 edi: 00000b00 ebp: 00008090 esp: dead5edc
Jun 10 17:50:53 admin kernel: ds: 0018 es: 0018 ss: 0018
Jun 10 17:50:53 admin kernel: Process tar (pid: 4004, stackpage=dead5000)
Jun 10 17:50:53 admin kernel: Stack: f5f2c180 00000000 c0090000 00008000 c0221a10 00015f90 00000000 dead5f7c
Jun 10 17:50:53 admin kernel: c34a0400 00000001 00008000 c0223abd 00000000 c34a0400 dead5f40 00008000
Jun 10 17:50:53 admin kernel: 00000002 00015f90 00000000 00000001 00000000 00000000 c34a04c0 c34a0450
Jun 10 17:50:53 admin kernel: Call Trace: [st_sleep_done+0/256] [read_tape+269/1024] [scsi_finish_command+152/208] [st_read+1015/1152] [sys_read+155/384]
Jun 10 17:50:53 admin kernel: Call Trace: [<c0221a10>] [<c0223abd>] [<c01ede38>] [<c02241a7>] [<c0141c0b>]
Jun 10 17:50:53 admin kernel: [<c010782f>]
Jun 10 17:50:53 admin kernel: Code: 8b 5f 2c 89 74 24 04 89 3c 24 e8 ea fb ff ff 89 43 1c eb a5

>>EIP; c0221c37 <st_do_scsi+127/180> <=====

>>edx; c34a0424 <_end+310e0e4/38547d20>
>>esi; f5f2c180 <_end+35b99e40/38547d20>
>>esp; dead5edc <_end+1e743b9c/38547d20>

Trace; c0221a10 <st_sleep_done+0/100>
Trace; c0223abd <read_tape+10d/400>
Trace; c01ede38 <scsi_finish_command+98/d0>
Trace; c02241a7 <st_read+3f7/480>
Trace; c0141c0b <sys_read+9b/180>
Trace; c010782f <system_call+33/38>

Code; c0221c37 <st_do_scsi+127/180>
00000000 <_EIP>:
Code; c0221c37 <st_do_scsi+127/180> <=====
0: 8b 5f 2c mov 0x2c(%edi),%ebx <=====
Code; c0221c3a <st_do_scsi+12a/180>
3: 89 74 24 04 mov %esi,0x4(%esp,1)
Code; c0221c3e <st_do_scsi+12e/180>
7: 89 3c 24 mov %edi,(%esp,1)
Code; c0221c41 <st_do_scsi+131/180>
a: e8 ea fb ff ff call fffffbf9 <_EIP+0xfffffbf9>
Code; c0221c46 <st_do_scsi+136/180>
f: 89 43 1c mov %eax,0x1c(%ebx)
Code; c0221c49 <st_do_scsi+139/180>
12: eb a5 jmp ffffffb9 <_EIP+0xffffffb9>

1 warning issued. Results may not be reliable.

Anybody able to comment on that?

Regards,
Stephan

2003-06-10 16:09:48

by Oleg Drokin

Hello!

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 05:55:06PM +0200, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:

> Jun 10 17:50:53 admin kernel: Process tar (pid: 4004, stackpage=dead5000)

Hehe, whith this kind of stackpage, this process was doomed just after the fork() ;)

> >>EIP; c0221c37 <st_do_scsi+127/180> <=====

It seems that in st_do_scsi, in this line
(STp->buffer)->syscall_result = st_chk_result(STp, SRpnt);

STp is garbage for some reason, though it was valid before.

Bye,
Oleg

2003-06-10 16:58:32

by Stephan von Krawczynski

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 09:38:31 -0600
"Justin T. Gibbs" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I never said that it wasn't serios, I just haven't seen any indication
> that this problem is caused by my driver. There is a big difference.
> If your complaint is that I typically help people to solve their problems
> *off-list*, then I'm sorry if that offends your sensibilities.

It does not offend my sensibilities, it is simply damaging the available
information about typical problems and their solving. If you don't do it open,
there is no way for others to follow your thoughts and debugging and therefore
you are confronted hundred times with the same questions. People have no choice
but asking you, because your debugging cases are hidden.

> I personally don't think that I need to CC a million people while I'm
> passing back various debugging information and asking for new output. Its
> just a lot of noise for the majority of people on the linux-kernel list.

Keep in mind the broad user base of aics. Compared to other stuff in the kernel
your messages may be a whole lot more interesting to listening LKML readers
than other threads.

> I'm just sick of being blamed for anything that goes wrong on any system
> that happens to have an aic7xxx controller in it. 99% or the time its
> not my fault, but I suppose since I debug and resolve these issues off
> list for people that contact me, the general assumption is that these
> issues are the aic7xxx driver's fault.

No, you produce your own problem. You cannot help every single who has a
problem around his box/aic. This is impossible. So you have to create a
valuable information basis others can read and think about. This is most simply
done by debugging problems _openly_.

> >> a buffer layer bug, or a filesystem bug.
> >
> > /dev/tape with a filesystem? Have you read what we are talking about?
>
> Where did you get the data to place on the tape? /dev/zero?

Don't be silly. If reading a file from some hd would be a problem in itself,
then we could all go home and have a beer. You are talking about the minimum
requirement for an os.

> >> When testing our drivers against RHAS2.1 we found that the stock
> >> kernel had data corruption issues very similar to what your are talking
> >> about when run on very fast, hyperthreading, SMP machines. The data
> >> corruption occurred with any SCSI controller we tried, regardless of
> >vendor.
> >
> > My question is: is it solved?
>
> My understanding is that it was fixed in 2.4.18 level kernels, but since
> I don't know the root cause of the corruption, it could have just been
> made more difficult to reproduce.

Can you point to some URL where information about this is available?

> > This is not the first discussion about an instability in aic.
>
> I'm not talking about *every case of aic7xxx driver instability*, I'm
> talking about *this particular case* of driver instability. Problems
> that to the naive user look similar are typically not.

Sorry, I should have said: "This is not the first discussion about an
instability in aic between you and me".

> > Justin, this is nothing quite serious, I just mentioned it for a feedback
> > to something _simple_.
>
> It's the only thing you've mentioned that I have enough information to
> look at.

No, it is only the most simple one. Unfortunately scsi-driver development is
everything but simple for the standard problem case. It requires the ability to
set up equipment just like the discussed case for reproduction of the problem.
Of course only for cases the author cannot reproduce inside his software via
brain.
All information needed to reproduce the main problem is available in this
thread.

> > What exactly is "elsewhere" if your data is bogus when tar'ing onto
> > /dev/tape via aic and it is completely ok when tar'ing into a file via
> > reiserfs/3ware ? There is not really much left between tar and the
> > aic-driver and the tape.
>
> I suggest you go browse the code that is exercised by such an activity
> before you say that.

What kind of a statement is this? I spent days for reproduction of the error
case, every single test takes something from 3,5 to 24 hours. And you tell me
"well, guy, if you want to know what I know go ahead and read my code", well
knowing that at least 50% of the knowledge is not in the code but in the
surrounding material you read to get where you are. I don't want to become scsi
maintainer, I want to solve a problem - for me _and_ for others (and this is
why I do it openly).
I really have not understood what you want, besides not being spoken to.
If I were you I would try to _prove_ that it is _not_ my problem, in best by
finding the real problem. Unfortunately I (and some others) do have the
impression that you simply live by the idea that as long as nobody can _prove_
your code has a problem, there is no problem.
This is in fact the bofh lifestyle that works for you (as long as you do not
meet an equally skilled person), but not for the users (spell "rest of us").

Back to the facts:
Simple question: you say its not a problem inside the driver. Ok. Question: how
to you prove that? Can you specify a test setup (program or something) I can
check to see that there is no problem with the general SMP tape usage of the
aic driver? I mean you must have seen something working, or not?

Regards,
Stephan

2003-06-10 17:31:21

by Stephan von Krawczynski

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 09:51:34 -0400 (EDT)
Zwane Mwaikambo <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Reading around the whole interrupt stuff I came across a very simple idea
> > which I am going to test right now. See you in some hours ;-)

I now tried rc7+aic20030603 SMP apic _but_ interrupts from aic only bound to
single cpu. I did this with help of irqbalance from Arjan.

/proc/interrupts:

CPU0 CPU1
0: 5148 571297 IO-APIC-edge timer
1: 9733 97 IO-APIC-edge keyboard
2: 0 0 XT-PIC cascade
12: 43720 1271 IO-APIC-edge PS/2 Mouse
15: 4 4 IO-APIC-edge ide1
17: 1297 1336383 IO-APIC-level 3ware Storage Controller
18: 344 16447 IO-APIC-level eth0, eth1
20: 570 3 IO-APIC-level fcpcipnp
21: 57292 340 IO-APIC-level eth2
22: 443161 2776 IO-APIC-level aic7xxx
23: 31 2005037 IO-APIC-level aic7xxx
26: 0 0 IO-APIC-level EMU10K1
NMI: 593524 582633
LOC: 576356 576330
ERR: 0
MIS: 0

The controller used is the second aic7xxx. The 31 interrupts on CPU0 have
occured before the test. This setup fails during verify (data corruption).

I would say that the interrupt code of the aic in itself is therefore ok with
SMP. If it were a SMP race condition inside the interrupt routine this test
should have been ok (as only one CPU is used).

Regards,
Stephan

2003-06-10 17:53:52

by Justin T. Gibbs

>> I never said that it wasn't serios, I just haven't seen any indication
>> that this problem is caused by my driver. There is a big difference.
>> If your complaint is that I typically help people to solve their problems
>> *off-list*, then I'm sorry if that offends your sensibilities.
>
> It does not offend my sensibilities, it is simply damaging the available
> information about typical problems and their solving. If you don't do it open,
> there is no way for others to follow your thoughts and debugging and therefore
> you are confronted hundred times with the same questions. People have no
> choice but asking you, because your debugging cases are hidden.

99% of the problems have to do with broken interrupt routing. There is
plenty of information about this issue on the mailing lists, but people
still ask me. It seems that SCSI is suitably complex for the common
user that even when the driver explictly tells you "your drive is dying",
I get email asking how I can fix my driver so that their drive doesn't
die. The same is true if you look at the large body of dump card state
information that people have posted from the aic7xxx and aic79xx drivers
to this list. Anyone who gets this type of output seems to think that
their problem must be the same as any other person that gets a dump
card state. I don't think that any amount of posting information about
how I decifer what the registers are telling me will cut down on this
confusion.

>> I'm just sick of being blamed for anything that goes wrong on any system
>> that happens to have an aic7xxx controller in it. 99% or the time its
>> not my fault, but I suppose since I debug and resolve these issues off
>> list for people that contact me, the general assumption is that these
>> issues are the aic7xxx driver's fault.
>
> No, you produce your own problem. You cannot help every single who has a
> problem around his box/aic. This is impossible. So you have to create a
> valuable information basis others can read and think about. This is most
> simply done by debugging problems _openly_.

I just don't believe that this is true. Most of the questions that people
email me directly are questions that are easily answered by a google search.
In otherwords, the information is already readily available. It is just
easier to send email than to actually investigate a potential solution
to the problem. So, people send email and ask the same questions, and
get the same answers.

>> > /dev/tape with a filesystem? Have you read what we are talking about?
>>
>> Where did you get the data to place on the tape? /dev/zero?
>
> Don't be silly. If reading a file from some hd would be a problem in itself,
> then we could all go home and have a beer. You are talking about the minimum
> requirement for an os.

You're the one being silly. You are oversimplifying what it takes to
do I/O and the components that are involved in doing that I/O. If you
don't understand that the load on several components in the kernel changes,
often in subtle but important ways, when you change the target of your
I/O, then I don't know what to say to you.

>> > vendor.
>> >
>> > My question is: is it solved?
>>
>> My understanding is that it was fixed in 2.4.18 level kernels, but since
>> I don't know the root cause of the corruption, it could have just been
>> made more difficult to reproduce.
>
> Can you point to some URL where information about this is available?

https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2003-147.html

This is just the most recent attempt to fix these issues. You might
want to go back and read the other erratas.

>> > Justin, this is nothing quite serious, I just mentioned it for a feedback
>> > to something _simple_.
>>
>> It's the only thing you've mentioned that I have enough information to
>> look at.
>
> No, it is only the most simple one. Unfortunately scsi-driver development is
> everything but simple for the standard problem case. It requires the ability
> to set up equipment just like the discussed case for reproduction of the
> problem. Of course only for cases the author cannot reproduce inside his
> software via brain. All information needed to reproduce the main problem is
> available in this thread.

To reproduce your problem, I need the same MB, memory configuration, drive
types, a 3ware card, and the same tape drive you have. I have tried various
backup scenarios with *other hardware* and have failed to reproduce your
problem.

>> I suggest you go browse the code that is exercised by such an activity
>> before you say that.
>
> What kind of a statement is this?

Its one way of saying that you need to understand all of the code involved
with turing a write syscall into a call into the aic7xxx driver. If you
review the code path, you'll find that there are thousands of lines of
code involved that have nothing to do with SCSI or the aic7xxx driver.
To say that you have created a simple example that proves that the problem
is in the aic7xxx driver is naive at best.

> I want to solve a problem - for me _and_ for others (and this is
> why I do it openly).
> I really have not understood what you want, besides not being spoken to.
> If I were you I would try to _prove_ that it is _not_ my problem, in best by
> finding the real problem.

As I said before, I have tried to reproduce your problem, but I cannot.
I have no hope of proving that a problem I cannot replicate is not a
problem with my driver.

Some additional things that might help:

o Charaterize the type of corruption that you are seeing in a more
formal way. For example, use an easy to verify pattern that will
allow you to actually analyze the corruption. Is the corruption
following some pattern?

o Can you determine if the corruption is happening when writting to
the tape vs. reading from it? You might do this by writing to
the tape in an SMP mode that shows data corruption and then validate
the driver in a safe, UP, mode and vice-versa.

o What happens when you use different hardware/FS type/etc for the source
and destination?

> Unfortunately I (and some others) do have the
> impression that you simply live by the idea that as long as nobody can
> _prove_ your code has a problem, there is no problem.
> This is in fact the bofh lifestyle that works for you (as long as you do not
> meet an equally skilled person), but not for the users (spell "rest of us").

In this case, the information you have so far provided points away from
the aic7xxx driver. I don't say that in all cases that I investigate,
but I believe it to be true in this case. If past experience is any guide,
80-90% of the problems like this that I have debugged (and that I could
actually replicate) were induced by using the aic7xxx driver, but turned
out to be bugs in other components in the system. The aic7xxx driver
happens to be one of the more agressive SCSI drivers in the system and
that can often lead to finding bugs in other components.

> Back to the facts:
> Simple question: you say its not a problem inside the driver. Ok. Question:
> how to you prove that? Can you specify a test setup (program or something) I
> can check to see that there is no problem with the general SMP tape usage of
> the aic driver? I mean you must have seen something working, or not?

The only way to do this is to find the actual bug. The problem feels like
a VM or FS race condition most likely caused by having the source controller and
the destination controller on separate interrupts in the apic case so that
you have real concurrency in the system. In the non apic case, it looks
like everyone shares the same interrupt, so you cannot field interrupts
for both the 3ware and the aic7xxx driver at the same time. I also say
this because data corruption is something that is very difficult for the
aic7xxx driver to acomplish without there being some kind of error message
from the driver.

I have lots of test setups that show the aic7xxx and aic79xx driver working
just fine in PIII and P4 dual and quad configurations with and without apic
interrupt routing and writing to tape. There's not much more that I can
do here without having your exact system here or having more information.

--
Justin

2003-06-10 18:15:46

by Zwane Mwaikambo

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:

> The controller used is the second aic7xxx. The 31 interrupts on CPU0 have
> occured before the test. This setup fails during verify (data corruption).
>
> I would say that the interrupt code of the aic in itself is therefore ok with
> SMP. If it were a SMP race condition inside the interrupt routine this test
> should have been ok (as only one CPU is used).

Thanks for verifying this, at least i know the problem isn't with
interrupt routing in your specific case.

Zwane
--
function.linuxpower.ca

2003-06-10 18:20:24

by Zwane Mwaikambo

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:

> occured before the test. This setup fails during verify (data corruption).

Can you reproduce this with disks only?

Zwane
--
function.linuxpower.ca

2003-06-10 23:42:25

by Stephan von Krawczynski

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 14:15:58 -0400 (EDT)
Zwane Mwaikambo <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
>
> > The controller used is the second aic7xxx. The 31 interrupts on CPU0 have
> > occured before the test. This setup fails during verify (data corruption).
> >
> > I would say that the interrupt code of the aic in itself is therefore ok
> > with SMP. If it were a SMP race condition inside the interrupt routine this
> > test should have been ok (as only one CPU is used).
>
> Thanks for verifying this, at least i know the problem isn't with
> interrupt routing in your specific case.
>
> Zwane

I guess your comment is a bit ahead of my tests. I just completed the test with
rc7+aic20030603 SMP, apic and maxcpus=1. It fails.
This means that although there is only one CPU used through the whole kernel
the data corruption occurs.
I would therefore conclude that the corruption is only possible if in fact the
standard code path is flaky in terms of data completeness per request.
Something like a broken synchronous action, a read request coming back
completed although it is in fact still running or the like.
May also be a misinterpretation of a kind of an "action completed" interrupt.
Or something like one interrupt for multiple running actions with a mixup of
the various causes.
To make sure it is not a problem in the SMP code path through the driver I have
to check a UP kernel with apic support enabled. I will do this tommorrow.
If this is ok then things are simple, because its nailed down to the SMP code
path without a concurrency cause.
Lets see ...

Regards,
Stephan

2003-06-11 00:38:23

by Stephan von Krawczynski

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 12:07:00 -0600
"Justin T. Gibbs" <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> I never said that it wasn't serios, I just haven't seen any indication
> >> that this problem is caused by my driver. There is a big difference.
> >> If your complaint is that I typically help people to solve their problems
> >> *off-list*, then I'm sorry if that offends your sensibilities.
> >
> > It does not offend my sensibilities, it is simply damaging the available
> > information about typical problems and their solving. If you don't do it
> > open, there is no way for others to follow your thoughts and debugging and
> > therefore you are confronted hundred times with the same questions. People
> > have no choice but asking you, because your debugging cases are hidden.
>
> 99% of the problems have to do with broken interrupt routing. There is
> plenty of information about this issue on the mailing lists, but people
> still ask me.

You should state an exact definition of "broken interrupt routing" in this
case. The only thing I would call a broken interrupt routing is if an interrupt
does not show up at all. Everything else is in my eyes a broken interrupt
handling in the driver (generally spoken). A driver has (in my programming
world) to cope with:
- interrupts showing up immediately during the currently running interrupt
handling (immediate recausing)
- multiple interrupt causes per one shot (software or interrupt controller were
to lazy for producing single interrupts per cause)
- lost interrupts (may cause error condition of course but at least a message
in some log)
- continous interrupts (handler has to know when he is too long inside
interrupt and give the rest of the system a chance to survive)
- optimistic interrupt requeuing (handler has to know from the past what is the
right flow of interrupt causes in a multiple caused interrupt, though hardware
may be unable to tell him).

> I just don't believe that this is true. Most of the questions that people
> email me directly are questions that are easily answered by a google search.
> In otherwords, the information is already readily available. It is just
> easier to send email than to actually investigate a potential solution
> to the problem. So, people send email and ask the same questions, and
> get the same answers.

Do you have a FAQ?

> >> Where did you get the data to place on the tape? /dev/zero?
> >
> > Don't be silly. If reading a file from some hd would be a problem in
> > itself, then we could all go home and have a beer. You are talking about
> > the minimum requirement for an os.
>
> You're the one being silly. You are oversimplifying what it takes to
> do I/O and the components that are involved in doing that I/O. If you
> don't understand that the load on several components in the kernel changes,
> often in subtle but important ways, when you change the target of your
> I/O, then I don't know what to say to you.

Data corruption is nothing subtle. We are not talking about performance tweaks,
we are talking about the basics. Something like "a synchronous action (like
reading during a verify) has to be synchronous". We are not talking about a
hardware related problem on scsi bus. We are not talking about the box
stumbling over a massive data flood. We are talking about reading a file/device
to a memory buffer and doing a cmp action between two of those. If your os is
not able to perform something like this you can do virtually nothing, not even
booting (because your reading action corrupts the data).

> >> My understanding is that it was fixed in 2.4.18 level kernels, but since
> >> I don't know the root cause of the corruption, it could have just been
> >> made more difficult to reproduce.
> >
> > Can you point to some URL where information about this is available?
>
> https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2003-147.html

The scenario described there is unlikely for my case because
a) I have only 3 GB of mem
b) no hints are available that UP can solve the problem on the same hardware

> > No, it is only the most simple one. Unfortunately scsi-driver development
> > is everything but simple for the standard problem case. It requires the
> > ability to set up equipment just like the discussed case for reproduction
> > of the problem. Of course only for cases the author cannot reproduce
> > inside his software via brain. All information needed to reproduce the
> > main problem is available in this thread.
>
> To reproduce your problem, I need the same MB, memory configuration, drive
> types, a 3ware card, and the same tape drive you have. I have tried various
> backup scenarios with *other hardware* and have failed to reproduce your
> problem.

I have talked to others with similar problems and none has the same mb or a
3ware controller. All have problems with streamers on aic. All solutions I
heard so far were done by replacing aic by whatever strange controller they got
their hands on.

> >> I suggest you go browse the code that is exercised by such an activity
> >> before you say that.
> >
> > What kind of a statement is this?
>
> Its one way of saying that you need to understand all of the code involved
> with turing a write syscall into a call into the aic7xxx driver. If you
> review the code path, you'll find that there are thousands of lines of
> code involved that have nothing to do with SCSI or the aic7xxx driver.
> To say that you have created a simple example that proves that the problem
> is in the aic7xxx driver is naive at best.

To tell me it is not is just as good.

> In this case, the information you have so far provided points away from
> the aic7xxx driver. I don't say that in all cases that I investigate,
> but I believe it to be true in this case. If past experience is any guide,
> 80-90% of the problems like this that I have debugged (and that I could
> actually replicate) were induced by using the aic7xxx driver, but turned
> out to be bugs in other components in the system. The aic7xxx driver
> happens to be one of the more agressive SCSI drivers in the system and
> that can often lead to finding bugs in other components.

Agressive is indeed a good term for it. And it describes exactly what I don't
like about it. The primary goal of a driver (in my eyes) is to make some
connected hardware work as expected. It is definitely not its primary goal to
be overly brilliant and therefore detecting bugs in other subsystems. I have
told you months ago that a symbios driven systems feels somehow smoother and
faster - elegant. Whereas aic gives you the feeling someone tried to kick the
systems butt with a big hammer. Its a matter of style and _defensiveness_.
As long as you ride it agressively don't complain a lot of people go after you
for explanations.
And btw: you win nothing with your way, not even performance.

> > Back to the facts:
> > Simple question: you say its not a problem inside the driver. Ok. Question:
> > how to you prove that? Can you specify a test setup (program or something)
> > I can check to see that there is no problem with the general SMP tape usage
> > of the aic driver? I mean you must have seen something working, or not?
>
> The only way to do this is to find the actual bug. The problem feels like
> a VM or FS race condition most likely caused by having the source controller
> and the destination controller on separate interrupts in the apic case so
> that you have real concurrency in the system. In the non apic case, it looks
> like everyone shares the same interrupt, so you cannot field interrupts
> for both the 3ware and the aic7xxx driver at the same time. I also say
> this because data corruption is something that is very difficult for the
> aic7xxx driver to acomplish without there being some kind of error message
> from the driver.

Well, at least I managed to get some interesting statement from you after all.
I have to think about this a bit.

> I have lots of test setups that show the aic7xxx and aic79xx driver working
> just fine in PIII and P4 dual and quad configurations with and without apic
> interrupt routing and writing to tape.

This does only mean you have not yet met something similar to my setup. It does
not really prove a lot.

> There's not much more that I can
> do here without having your exact system here or having more information.

Well, the thing is, I try to achieve information. But since the whole issue is
all about lots of data I try to find an intelligent way to locate the cause of
it all. I am not very confident that analysis of the trashed data will lead
somewhere. I think narrowing the code path that leads to the problem by
multiple distinct test scenarios looks more/faster promising. Can you think of
something reducing the test complexity (not using tar, not comparing to a file
or whatever)?

Regards,
Stephan

2003-06-11 04:26:58

by Justin T. Gibbs

>> 99% of the problems have to do with broken interrupt routing. There is
>> plenty of information about this issue on the mailing lists, but people
>> still ask me.
>
> You should state an exact definition of "broken interrupt routing" in this
> case. The only thing I would call a broken interrupt routing is if an
> interrupt does not show up at all.

That's the only definition for it and 99% of the email I field about
the aic7xxx driver is due to interrupts *not arriving*.

>> I just don't believe that this is true. Most of the questions that people
>> email me directly are questions that are easily answered by a google search.
>> In otherwords, the information is already readily available. It is just
>> easier to send email than to actually investigate a potential solution
>> to the problem. So, people send email and ask the same questions, and
>> get the same answers.
>
> Do you have a FAQ?

It's the driver readme file.

>> You're the one being silly. You are oversimplifying what it takes to
>> do I/O and the components that are involved in doing that I/O. If you
>> don't understand that the load on several components in the kernel changes,
>> often in subtle but important ways, when you change the target of your
>> I/O, then I don't know what to say to you.
>
> Data corruption is nothing subtle. We are not talking about performance tweaks,
> we are talking about the basics. Something like "a synchronous action (like
> reading during a verify) has to be synchronous". We are not talking about a
> hardware related problem on scsi bus. We are not talking about the box
> stumbling over a massive data flood. We are talking about reading a file/device
> to a memory buffer and doing a cmp action between two of those. If your os is
> not able to perform something like this you can do virtually nothing, not even
> booting (because your reading action corrupts the data).

And with any experience you will find that subtle races in all of these
"basic operations" can often only be triggered by certain scenarios. Saying
that "well my machine boots" is not enough to prove that the components
involved to that point are bug free. You may be able to operate just
fine in 99% of your test scenarios yet still have a very catastrophic
flaw in the code.

>> > Can you point to some URL where information about this is available?
>>
>> https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2003-147.html
>
> The scenario described there is unlikely for my case because
> a) I have only 3 GB of mem
> b) no hints are available that UP can solve the problem on the same hardware

This is only the latest corruption bug that has been addressed. You
should really read all of the kernel erratas. The one we hit originally
was this one:

https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2002-227.html

I'm not saying that this is your problem or even related, but just to
point out that the type of data corruption you are talking about can
occur due to bugs in core kernel functionality.

>> To reproduce your problem, I need the same MB, memory configuration, drive
>> types, a 3ware card, and the same tape drive you have. I have tried various
>> backup scenarios with *other hardware* and have failed to reproduce your
>> problem.
>
> I have talked to others with similar problems and none has the same mb or a
> 3ware controller.

Define similar. You are the only person I know of that is currently
indicating they are having *data corruption* with the aic7xxx driver.
That is, in particular, what I am trying to reproduce locally.

> All have problems with streamers on aic. All solutions I
> heard so far were done by replacing aic by whatever strange controller
> they got their hands on.

I'm glad they were able to resolve their problems.

>> > What kind of a statement is this?
>>
>> Its one way of saying that you need to understand all of the code involved
>> with turing a write syscall into a call into the aic7xxx driver. If you
>> review the code path, you'll find that there are thousands of lines of
>> code involved that have nothing to do with SCSI or the aic7xxx driver.
>> To say that you have created a simple example that proves that the problem
>> is in the aic7xxx driver is naive at best.
>
> To tell me it is not is just as good.

You mean "just as naive"? Pointing your finger at the aic7xxx driver
is not going to solve your problem. Ruling out other system components
(of which there are many in your test case) also won't help find it.

>> In this case, the information you have so far provided points away from
>> the aic7xxx driver. I don't say that in all cases that I investigate,
>> but I believe it to be true in this case. If past experience is any guide,
>> 80-90% of the problems like this that I have debugged (and that I could
>> actually replicate) were induced by using the aic7xxx driver, but turned
>> out to be bugs in other components in the system. The aic7xxx driver
>> happens to be one of the more agressive SCSI drivers in the system and
>> that can often lead to finding bugs in other components.
>
> Agressive is indeed a good term for it. And it describes exactly what I don't
> like about it.

Then don't use choose to use it.

> The primary goal of a driver (in my eyes) is to make some
> connected hardware work as expected. It is definitely not its primary goal to
> be overly brilliant and therefore detecting bugs in other subsystems.

My goal is to take full advantage of the hardware I support in my drivers.
That isn't an attempt to be "brilliant", but rather just taking advantage
of the hardware you have purchased. The end result is that for instance
the aic79xx driver can achieve sustained random I/O throughput 40% above
it's main competetor. That isn't an attempt to break the rest of linux,
but to get the most performance possible out of Linux.

> I have
> told you months ago that a symbios driven systems feels somehow smoother and
> faster - elegant.

Which doesn't tell me anything about the relative performance of the
two drivers. Such subjective remarks do not provide any feedback that
can be turned into a concrete plan to improve the driver. They don't even
really tell me what you think is wrong with it.

> And btw: you win nothing with your way, not even performance.

Another unsubstantiated claim. Again, if you don't like the driver, or
its style, you should just use something else if it will make you happier.
It certainly sounds like that is the case.

>> I have lots of test setups that show the aic7xxx and aic79xx driver working
>> just fine in PIII and P4 dual and quad configurations with and without apic
>> interrupt routing and writing to tape.
>
> This does only mean you have not yet met something similar to my setup. It
> does not really prove a lot.

Which is exactly my point! You act as though I should be able to magically
reproduce and fix your problem. I've said that I can't reproduce it and
that means I can't fix it without more information. I never claimed anything
more than that other than your current data points do not, in my opinion,
point to an aic7xxx driver problem. That doesn't *eliminate* the aic7xxx
driver as a cause just as your test cases don't eliminate the other
components of the system.

> Well, the thing is, I try to achieve information. But since the whole issue is
> all about lots of data I try to find an intelligent way to locate the cause of
> it all. I am not very confident that analysis of the trashed data will lead
> somewhere.

If you filter all available to what you only believe will be relavent to
solving the problem, then you will likely filter out things that might
give others a clue as to the true cause of your problem.

> I think narrowing the code path that leads to the problem by
> multiple distinct test scenarios looks more/faster promising. Can you think of
> something reducing the test complexity (not using tar, not comparing to a file
> or whatever)?

I would be analyzing the current failure modes first, but if you just want
to try to narrow the cause by varying your configuration, you could do
that by using a different source filesystem or even using /dev/zero or
a program that generates the data that will be written to tape. You might
also try to determine if the corruption happens when the tape is written
or if the data is corrupted during the read. You could do this by
doing multiple read sessions to see if the corruption is consistent or
doing the write in what appears to be a safe kernel mode and the read
in the unsafe kernel and vice - versa. Etc.

--
Justin

2003-06-11 20:11:38

by Stephan von Krawczynski

Hello,

a short note on todays test cycles.
I switched to rc8 (SMP, apic), took three cycles until it failed.
rc8 (SMP, apic, HIGHIO) failed on the first try.
I thought HIGHIO could make a difference if there were inherent problems with
bounce buffers. Unfortunately this seems not the case.

Anyway it looks like failures have gotten fewer since rc8. I will try an
overnight stress test now to see if I get it freezing again.

Regards,
Stephan

2003-06-11 20:51:45

by John Stoffel

Stephan> I switched to rc8 (SMP, apic), took three cycles until it
Stephan> failed. rc8 (SMP, apic, HIGHIO) failed on the first try. I
Stephan> thought HIGHIO could make a difference if there were inherent
Stephan> problems with bounce buffers. Unfortunately this seems not
Stephan> the case.

I'm doing testing on 2.5.70-mm3, SMP, APIC, PREEMPT with an AIC7880
driving a DLT7000 along with some idle disks on the same bus. I'm
dumping data to tape and verifying it. Once I get more data, I'll