2003-07-01 06:11:23

by Diego Zuccato

Subject: SIS IO-APIC troubles

Hello.

I'm trying to install Linux on an Acer Aspire 1700. To be able to boot,
I've had to use "noapic" parameter. But, then, many peripherals won't
work (like USB2) or they'll be sluggish (like nic that reaches about
80KB/s in a direct 100Mbps link).
I've put all the info I could gather at
http://otello.alma.unibo.it/~diego/Aspire1700/ .
Since it's not my machine, but a friend lets me experiment with it, it's
better if I have a list of tests to try.

Please CC: me as I'm not subscribed.

Tks,
Diego.

2003-07-01 17:06:47

by Davide Libenzi

Subject: Re: SIS IO-APIC troubles

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Diego Zuccato wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I'm trying to install Linux on an Acer Aspire 1700. To be able to boot,
> I've had to use "noapic" parameter. But, then, many peripherals won't
> work (like USB2) or they'll be sluggish (like nic that reaches about
> 80KB/s in a direct 100Mbps link).
> I've put all the info I could gather at
> http://otello.alma.unibo.it/~diego/Aspire1700/ .
> Since it's not my machine, but a friend lets me experiment with it, it's
> better if I have a list of tests to try.

You have a SiS650 chipset and this will help the IRQ routing :

http://www.xmailserver.org/linux-patches/misc.html#SiSRt

- Davide