2003-07-02 20:18:06

by Richard B. Johnson

Subject: DHCP vs Cable Modem

Sorry about BW. Anybody know how to configure a cable modem?
I have one. I connect it to the cable. I set Linux up for
DHCP. I end up with a dynamic IP address, a network mask,
a broadcast address, a default route, and even a name-server.

I can ping the name-server. However, I can't telnet or use
a Web Crawler. The thing works fine with WIN/2000/Prof. The
ISP says they only support Windows. Since I have all the
"hooks" working, how do I find a default route that will
route my packets to bypass their stuff?

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.20 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).

by jjs

Subject: Re: DHCP vs Cable Modem

Richard B. Johnson wrote:

>Sorry about BW. Anybody know how to configure a cable modem?
>I have one. I connect it to the cable. I set Linux up for
>DHCP. I end up with a dynamic IP address, a network mask,
>a broadcast address, a default route, and even a name-server.
>
>I can ping the name-server. However, I can't telnet or use
>a Web Crawler. The thing works fine with WIN/2000/Prof. The
>ISP says they only support Windows. Since I have all the
>"hooks" working, how do I find a default route that will
>route my packets to bypass their stuff?

Your symptoms suggest that your are basically up and running but perhaps
have name resolution issues.

Lack of information about your setup prevents me from offering any
further advice.

Best Regards,

Joe

2003-07-02 23:06:16

by Davide Libenzi

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, jjs wrote:

> Richard B. Johnson wrote:
>
> >Sorry about BW. Anybody know how to configure a cable modem?
> >I have one. I connect it to the cable. I set Linux up for
> >DHCP. I end up with a dynamic IP address, a network mask,
> >a broadcast address, a default route, and even a name-server.
> >
> >I can ping the name-server. However, I can't telnet or use
> >a Web Crawler. The thing works fine with WIN/2000/Prof. The
> >ISP says they only support Windows. Since I have all the
> >"hooks" working, how do I find a default route that will
> >route my packets to bypass their stuff?
> >
> Your symptoms suggest that your are basically up and running but perhaps
> have name resolution issues.
>
> Lack of information about your setup prevents me from offering any
> further advice.

This shouldn't be in lkml though. You need to set /etc/resolv.conf. I had
the same problem with comcast. Just dig for comcast.net NSs and add them
in your /etc/resolv.conf

- Davide