2003-06-27 16:35:51

by David Ford

Subject: laptop w/ external keyboard misprint FYI

Kernel 2.5.73, first time I've used an external keyboard

When I plug my external Logitech keyboard into my laptop, (shared
keyboard/mouse port), dmesg output indicates a generic mouse was
attached instead of a keyboard. The keyboard works, it's just the dmesg
info that's inaccurate.

Keyboard plugged in:
input: PS/2 Generic Mouse on isa0060/serio1

Mouse plugged in:
input: PS/2 Logitech Mouse on isa0060/serio1

David

2003-07-02 10:44:24

by Pavel Machek

Subject: Re: laptop w/ external keyboard misprint FYI

Hi!

> Kernel 2.5.73, first time I've used an external keyboard
>
> When I plug my external Logitech keyboard into my laptop, (shared
> keyboard/mouse port), dmesg output indicates a generic mouse was
> attached instead of a keyboard. The keyboard works, it's just the
> dmesg info that's inaccurate.

Well, you have plugged keyboard into
*mouse* port. Its small miracle it works ;), and
it probably will not work in LILO. You
should use Y cabel and plug keyboard there.

--
Pavel
Written on sharp zaurus, because my Velo1 broke. If you have Velo you don't need...

2003-07-02 11:36:42

by John Bradford

> > Kernel 2.5.73, first time I've used an external keyboard
> >
> > When I plug my external Logitech keyboard into my laptop, (shared
> > keyboard/mouse port), dmesg output indicates a generic mouse was
> > attached instead of a keyboard. The keyboard works, it's just the
> > dmesg info that's inaccurate.
>
> Well, you have plugged keyboard into
> *mouse* port. Its small miracle it works ;), and
> it probably will not work in LILO. You
> should use Y cabel and plug keyboard there.

A keyboard should work fine, (in any recent 2.5 Linux kernel), plugged
in to the AUX port, and it should identify it as a keyboard. I've
tested this, and it worked fine for me.

John.

2003-07-03 06:49:02

by Vojtech Pavlik

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 12:55:50PM -0400, David Ford wrote:

> Kernel 2.5.73, first time I've used an external keyboard
>
> When I plug my external Logitech keyboard into my laptop, (shared
> keyboard/mouse port), dmesg output indicates a generic mouse was
> attached instead of a keyboard. The keyboard works, it's just the dmesg
> info that's inaccurate.
>
> Keyboard plugged in:
> input: PS/2 Generic Mouse on isa0060/serio1
>
> Mouse plugged in:
> input: PS/2 Logitech Mouse on isa0060/serio1

Honestly, I don't think this is possible. If your keyboard is detected
as a mouse, it cannot work a a keyboard. Though maybe your
keyboard/mouse controller BIOS may be playing tricks on us.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs, SuSE CR

2003-07-04 03:49:04

by David Ford

Well...I'm typing on the keyboard right now :)

Any info I can give that can help?

David