2003-07-09 08:29:25

by Daniel

Subject: ACPI status in 2.5.x/2.6.0

I have a Compaq Laptop (*shiver*) and present distro versions featuring
the 2.4.x kernel seem to panic or lock on bootup on my laptop. I was
wondering if ACPI was better supported in the 2.5.x kernel branch/2.6.0
pre-kernel. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It would lock when attempting to read my partition table on device 'hda'
(my hard disk), or would panic when attempting to initalize the USB device.

-Daniel

2003-07-09 08:55:30

by Felipe Alfaro Solana

Subject: Re: ACPI status in 2.5.x/2.6.0

On Wed, 2003-07-09 at 10:44, Daniel wrote:
> I have a Compaq Laptop (*shiver*) and present distro versions featuring
> the 2.4.x kernel seem to panic or lock on bootup on my laptop. I was
> wondering if ACPI was better supported in the 2.5.x kernel branch/2.6.0
> pre-kernel. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
> It would lock when attempting to read my partition table on device 'hda'
> (my hard disk), or would panic when attempting to initalize the USB device.

I think the best you can do it's trying by yourself :-)
For me, ACPI in 2.5 kernels do work better than in 2.4.

2003-07-09 12:45:55

by Alexander Hoogerhuis

Daniel <[email protected]> writes:

> I have a Compaq Laptop (*shiver*) and present distro versions
> featuring the 2.4.x kernel seem to panic or lock on bootup on my
> laptop. I was wondering if ACPI was better supported in the 2.5.x
> kernel branch/2.6.0 pre-kernel. Any advice would be greatly
> appreciated.

What model is the laptop?

> -Daniel

mvh,
Alexander Hoogerhuis | [email protected]
CCNP - CCDP - MCNE - CCSE | +47 908 21 485
"You have zero privacy anyway. Get over it." --Scott McNealy

2003-07-09 16:33:21

by Davide Libenzi

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Daniel wrote:

> I have a Compaq Laptop (*shiver*) and present distro versions featuring
> the 2.4.x kernel seem to panic or lock on bootup on my laptop. I was
> wondering if ACPI was better supported in the 2.5.x kernel branch/2.6.0
> pre-kernel. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
> It would lock when attempting to read my partition table on device 'hda'
> (my hard disk), or would panic when attempting to initalize the USB device.

If it uses a SiS650 chipset you can try this :

http://www.xmailserver.org/linux-patches/misc.html#SiSRt

Even if I am not much confident about success in your case. Also, I
believe Alan was working of fixing ACPI for SiS. You might want to check.

- Davide

2003-07-09 16:44:13

by Alan

On Mer, 2003-07-09 at 17:40, Davide Libenzi wrote:

> http://www.xmailserver.org/linux-patches/misc.html#SiSRt
>
> Even if I am not much confident about success in your case. Also, I
> believe Alan was working of fixing ACPI for SiS. You might want to check.

2.4.22pre has the workaround for SiS APIC and that seems to make ACPI
generally work. I've actually been rewriting chunks of the IRQ router
code today and included the SiS fixups and detection Davide did.

2003-07-09 17:54:24

by Daniel

Alexander Hoogerhuis wrote:

> Daniel <[email protected]> writes:
>

>>I have a Compaq Laptop (*shiver*) and present distro versions
>>featuring the 2.4.x kernel seem to panic or lock on bootup on my
>>laptop. I was wondering if ACPI was better supported in the 2.5.x
>>kernel branch/2.6.0 pre-kernel. Any advice would be greatly
>>appreciated.
>>

> What model is the laptop?

Compaq Presario 900

I would install and try a different kernel, but I can't get any distros'
to boot to install, let alone install a different kernel. :(

>>-Daniel
>

> mvh,

-Daniel

2003-07-09 18:07:27

by Davide Libenzi

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Daniel wrote:

> I would install and try a different kernel, but I can't get any distros'
> to boot to install, let alone install a different kernel. :(

Actually it is exactly the contrary. Distribution's code base is always
older that the one available around here. You will get fixes you can see
today on lkml, "maybe" in the next of your favourite distro.

- Davide

2003-07-09 18:59:28

by Serguei Miridonov

will find almost everything you want about Linux on this laptop.

--
Serguei Miridonov