2003-07-14 13:08:03

by Eric Valette

Subject: Linux 2.6-pre1 Does not boot on ASUS L3800C: lock up in acpi while "Executing all Devices _STA and_INIT methods"

I happily run 2.4.21-pre5 with ACPI enabled and everything works just
fine. I tried today 2.6-pre1 with exactly the same hardware
configuration as the 2.4 one and the laptop does not boot. It hangs
while dispaying : "Executing all Devices _STA and_INIT methods"
allthough it has already printed several '.'

--
__
/ ` Eric Valette

Tel: +33 (0)2 99 85 26 76 Fax: +33 (0)2 99 85 26 76
E-mail: [email protected]

2003-07-14 16:24:32

by Karol Kozimor

Thus wrote Eric Valette:
> I happily run 2.4.21-pre5 with ACPI enabled and everything works just
> fine. I tried today 2.6-pre1 with exactly the same hardware
> configuration as the 2.4 one and the laptop does not boot. It hangs
> while dispaying : "Executing all Devices _STA and_INIT methods"
> allthough it has already printed several '.'

I reported the same on ACPI devel several (18?) hours ago. For now, the
solution is to compile a kernel without APIC support. No, the noapic option
doesn't help.

The problem appeared in 2.5.74, along with changes in handling a
BIOS-disabled APIC, or so I suppose.

Best regards,

--
Karol 'sziwan' Kozimor

by Tugrul Galatali

On Mon, 2003-07-14 at 09:24, Eric Valette wrote:
> I happily run 2.4.21-pre5 with ACPI enabled and everything works just
> fine. I tried today 2.6-pre1 with exactly the same hardware
> configuration as the 2.4 one and the laptop does not boot. It hangs
> while dispaying : "Executing all Devices _STA and_INIT methods"
> allthough it has already printed several '.'

I get that error plus the message I've been getting from >2.5.69
kernels when booting with ACPI on my Compaq W8000. dmesg/lspci/configs
at

http://acm.cs.nyu.edu/~tugrul/acpi/

The 2.6.0-test1 error is pretty big for hand transcription, but I'll
try setting up serial console if requested.

Tugrul Galatali