2003-07-16 11:23:30

by Eric Blade

Subject: Re: radeonfb patch for 2.4.22...

> I have a small problem with radeonfb in 2.4.22-pre5 (+manually created radeonfb.h file). During boot, when the console is switched over to
> the frame buffer device, the screen becomes corrupted. Mostly by white squares in a grid pattern and some squares with other colors. Between
> the squares, normal characters can be seen, but each character is duplicated.

This has been happening to me on my Radeon and on my Voodoo 3 for as long as there has been framebuffers and they have in fact compiled and worked. I thought this was normal?

--

2003-07-17 17:14:30

by James Simmons

> This has been happening to me on my Radeon and on my Voodoo 3 for as
> long as there has been framebuffers and they have in fact compiled and
> worked. I thought this was normal?

Its caused from switching from text mode to graphics mode. Take for
example I have grabbed th epci regions for my voodoo card and then wrote
to them. This was done before I switched to graphics mode. It messed up my
vga text screen. So when we go from text to graphics we have stale data.

2003-07-17 23:08:00

by Eric Blade

James Simmons wrote:

>>This has been happening to me on my Radeon and on my Voodoo 3 for as
>>long as there has been framebuffers and they have in fact compiled and
>>worked. I thought this was normal?
>>

>Its caused from switching from text mode to graphics mode. Take for
>example I have grabbed th epci regions for my voodoo card and then wrote
>to them. This was done before I switched to graphics mode. It messed up my
>vga text screen. So when we go from text to graphics we have stale data.

So, basically, it's normal, as I thought.

Perhaps a quick clear screen as it's initialized would be good...

--

2003-07-18 17:28:59

by James Simmons

> So, basically, it's normal, as I thought.
>
> Perhaps a quick clear screen as it's initialized would be good...

I think so. For 2.5.X it woudl be just a matter of calling
xxxfb_fillrect to clear the screen.