2003-07-20 13:46:24

by Robert L. Harris

Subject: 2.6-test1 startup messages?

I just converted a box to 2.6-test1. I've installed the module-init-tools
per another thread on the list. Spread throughout the startup messages
of the system (Debian Unstable) are messages that read:

FATAL: Module /dev/tts not found
FATAL: Module /dev/tts not found
FATAL: Module /dev/ttsS?? not found
FATAL: Module /dev/ttsS?? not found

looking at /dev/tty* I have /dev/tty, /dev/tty0-tty63. There is no
/dev/ttyS0 (serial console) or tts*.

Have they been renamed or did I miss something in my config? Can anyone
point me to a thread? Digging through the archives gave some great
reading material yet nothing that seemed to answer my problem.

Thanks for any pointers,
I'd still gladly recomend Linux to my friends.
Robert

:wq!
Robert L. Harris | GPG Key ID: E344DA3B
@ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
DISCLAIMER:
These are MY OPINIONS ALONE. I speak for no-one else.

Diagnosis: witzelsucht

IPv6 = [email protected] http://ipv6.rdlg.net
IPv4 = [email protected] http://www.rdlg.net

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.12 kB)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Ivan Gyurdiev

Subject: Re: 2.6-test1 startup messages?

Robert L. Harris wrote:

> I just converted a box to 2.6-test1. I've installed the module-init-tools
> per another thread on the list. Spread throughout the startup messages
> of the system (Debian Unstable) are messages that read:
>
> FATAL: Module /dev/tts not found
> FATAL: Module /dev/tts not found
> FATAL: Module /dev/ttsS?? not found
> FATAL: Module /dev/ttsS?? not found
>
> looking at /dev/tty* I have /dev/tty, /dev/tty0-tty63. There is no
> /dev/ttyS0 (serial console) or tts*.

Are you using devfs?
I get the same messages with devfs.
Looking up a /dev file that does not presently exist
or have a corresponding module results in the above warnings.
At boot time, on a redhat distro pam_console_apply tries to lookup
the devices specified in /etc/security/console.perms, which causes a
zillion warnings for me. The question is - are those warnings to correct
way to handle a devfs lookup of a nonexisting device. I don't remember
getting warnings under 2.4. Maybe I did, and just didn't notice (but I
doubt it). They're certainly annoying and I don't like them.

P.S. Not a kernel developer - just a tester :)

2003-07-20 19:46:08

by Robert L. Harris

Yes I am using devfs and it's working with the exact same config under
2.4.21 without the errors.

Thus spake Ivan Gyurdiev ([email protected]):

> Robert L. Harris wrote:
> >
> > I just converted a box to 2.6-test1. I've installed the
> > module-init-tools
> >per another thread on the list. Spread throughout the startup messages
> >of the system (Debian Unstable) are messages that read:
> >
> >FATAL: Module /dev/tts not found
> >FATAL: Module /dev/tts not found
> >FATAL: Module /dev/ttsS?? not found
> >FATAL: Module /dev/ttsS?? not found
> >
> >looking at /dev/tty* I have /dev/tty, /dev/tty0-tty63. There is no
> >/dev/ttyS0 (serial console) or tts*.
> >

> Are you using devfs?
> I get the same messages with devfs.
> Looking up a /dev file that does not presently exist
> or have a corresponding module results in the above warnings.
> At boot time, on a redhat distro pam_console_apply tries to lookup
> the devices specified in /etc/security/console.perms, which causes a
> zillion warnings for me. The question is - are those warnings to correct
> way to handle a devfs lookup of a nonexisting device. I don't remember
> getting warnings under 2.4. Maybe I did, and just didn't notice (but I
> doubt it). They're certainly annoying and I don't like them.
>
> P.S. Not a kernel developer - just a tester :)

:wq!
Robert L. Harris | GPG Key ID: E344DA3B
@ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
DISCLAIMER:
These are MY OPINIONS ALONE. I speak for no-one else.

Diagnosis: witzelsucht

IPv6 = [email protected] http://ipv6.rdlg.net
IPv4 = [email protected] http://www.rdlg.net

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.70 kB)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by MånsRullgård

Ivan Gyurdiev <[email protected]> writes:

>> I just converted a box to 2.6-test1. I've installed the
>> module-init-tools
>> per another thread on the list. Spread throughout the startup messages
>> of the system (Debian Unstable) are messages that read:
>> FATAL: Module /dev/tts not found
>> FATAL: Module /dev/tts not found
>> FATAL: Module /dev/ttsS?? not found
>> FATAL: Module /dev/ttsS?? not found
>> looking at /dev/tty* I have /dev/tty, /dev/tty0-tty63. There is no
>> /dev/ttyS0 (serial console) or tts*.
>>

> Are you using devfs?
> I get the same messages with devfs.
> Looking up a /dev file that does not presently exist
> or have a corresponding module results in the above warnings.
> At boot time, on a redhat distro pam_console_apply tries to lookup
> the devices specified in /etc/security/console.perms, which causes a
> zillion warnings for me. The question is - are those warnings to
> correct way to handle a devfs lookup of a nonexisting device. I don't
> remember getting warnings under 2.4. Maybe I did, and just didn't
> notice (but I doubt it). They're certainly annoying and I don't like
> them.

It's the new modprobe that complains louder than the old one. I guess
it's trivial to remove the printout from the source code.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

by Charles Lepple

M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Ivan Gyurdiev <[email protected]> writes:
[...]
>>> I just converted a box to 2.6-test1. I've installed the
>>>module-init-tools
>>>per another thread on the list. Spread throughout the startup messages
>>>of the system (Debian Unstable) are messages that read:
>>>FATAL: Module /dev/tts not found
>>>FATAL: Module /dev/tts not found
>>>FATAL: Module /dev/ttsS?? not found
>>>FATAL: Module /dev/ttsS?? not found
[...]
> It's the new modprobe that complains louder than the old one. I guess
> it's trivial to remove the printout from the source code.

couldn't you just set the 'install' action for "/dev/tts", etc. to
'/bin/true'?

--
Charles Lepple <ghz.cc!clepple>

2003-07-21 03:35:15

by Ivan Gyurdiev

> couldn't you just set the 'install' action for "/dev/tts", etc. to
> '/bin/true'?

You'd have to do that for every single device program x.y.z might try to
find in /dev. I, personally, get at least 25 warnings on boot.

2003-07-21 12:28:37

by Martin Schlemmer

On Sun, 2003-07-20 at 19:34, Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:
> Robert L. Harris wrote:
> >
> > I just converted a box to 2.6-test1. I've installed the module-init-tools
> > per another thread on the list. Spread throughout the startup messages
> > of the system (Debian Unstable) are messages that read:
> >
> > FATAL: Module /dev/tts not found
> > FATAL: Module /dev/tts not found
> > FATAL: Module /dev/ttsS?? not found
> > FATAL: Module /dev/ttsS?? not found
> >
> > looking at /dev/tty* I have /dev/tty, /dev/tty0-tty63. There is no
> > /dev/ttyS0 (serial console) or tts*.
> >

> Are you using devfs?
> I get the same messages with devfs.
> Looking up a /dev file that does not presently exist
> or have a corresponding module results in the above warnings.
> At boot time, on a redhat distro pam_console_apply tries to lookup
> the devices specified in /etc/security/console.perms, which causes a
> zillion warnings for me. The question is - are those warnings to correct
> way to handle a devfs lookup of a nonexisting device. I don't remember
> getting warnings under 2.4. Maybe I did, and just didn't notice (but I
> doubt it). They're certainly annoying and I don't like them.

You could try the attached patch. Rusty do not like it though =)

Martin Schlemmer

Attachments:
module-init-tools-0.9.11-be-quiet-for-devfsd.patch (4.11 kB)