2003-07-23 20:20:56

by Rui Barreiros

Subject: USB Crash - 2.4.20 (RedHat)

Sorry if i sent this for the wrong place, but my search efforts are
gone.

I have a portable Toshiba S35DVD with RedHat 9.0 Kernel from RedHat
2.4.20-19.9 (i hope there are some rh kernel developers around)

This portable has only one USB port.
I have 1 usb mouse (VIVANCO Optical mouse model EDV-NR.13006/MSOC10)
and a palm m500 with an usb craddle.

I previously had kernel 2.4.18 also from redhat, that i had the same
behaviour, my machine froze (crashed) whenever i removed the usb mouse
or palm craddle. Then i upgraded to latest rh kernel (2.4.20-19.9) at
first no problem at all (that is, until i made a second reboot) after
that, same behaviour as before, whenever i disconnect the usb device
(mouse or craddle) the machine freezes.

I tried to gather some debug messages but with not much luck all that i
have is the /var/log/messages with no errors (pasted below)

Anyone could point me some directions on gathering more debug messages?
Is this bug been fixed (tried searching google, not much found) any
patch or something?

Note: i found something, i was playing with pppd to give network to my
palm and found this:

- Rebooted (with palm craddle connected)
- /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward = 1
- Removed the craddle
- System frozen

- Rebooted (with palm craddle connected)
- /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward = 0
- Removed the craddle
- all working fine!
- Connected mouse
- Disconnected mouse
- System frozen

Dunno if it has anything to do with the frozen bug but here stays the
report about this.

Attached is my /var/log/messages for the power on until the mouse
disconnect.

sorry for anything wrong i have made, but i'm clueless about this, with
no directions on fixing this!

Best wishes to all

--
Rui Barreiros

Evoluta - Tecnologias de Informa??o
Rua do Padr?o n? 58 2? Andar Sala 25
4415-284 Carvalhos
Tel: 227839464 Fax: 227839465
http://www.evoluta.pt

Attachments:
dump.log (14.94 kB)

2003-07-24 04:22:53

by Nuno Silva

Subject: Re: USB Crash - 2.4.20 (RedHat)

Hi!

Rui Barreiros wrote:
> Sorry if i sent this for the wrong place, but my search efforts are
> gone.

Did you try it with the "official" kernel?

RH kernels are very different from the official kernel, so you must
contact redhat. Or you can install 2.4.21+ from kernel.org and report back.

Regards,
Nuno Silva