2003-07-27 09:21:31

by Voicu Liviu

Subject: make menuconfig

Hi dear list,
I have heard that "make menuconfig" for kernel 2.6-beta1 is deprecated?
Am I correct? If yes then how do I get into the config?
Alos tryied to run 'make menuconfig' from tcsh and got error like:
Missing }.

Best Regards,

--
Voicu Liviu
Rothberg International School

System Operating: Linux Gentoo1.4 ( http://www.gentoo.org )

Click here to see my GPG signature:
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?template=netensearch%2Cnetennomatch%2Cnetenerror&search=pacman%40mscc.huji.ac.il&op=vindex&fingerprint=on&submit=Get+List

2003-07-27 09:45:10

by Sam Ravnborg

Subject: Re: make menuconfig

On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 11:48:47AM +0300, Voicu Liviu wrote:
> Hi dear list,
> I have heard that "make menuconfig" for kernel 2.6-beta1 is deprecated?
> Am I correct? If yes then how do I get into the config?
You are wrong - make menuconfig is still OK.
Mak sure to read the document made by dave j. before playing too much
with 2.6.
It is at: http://www.codemonkey.org.uk - but I cannot get in contact with it
right now.
See instead:
http://lwn.net/Articles/39901/

> Alos tryied to run 'make menuconfig' from tcsh and got error like:
> Missing }.
Works for me. Could you provide exact error-message etc.

Sam

2003-07-27 09:59:44

by Voicu Liviu

Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 11:48:47AM +0300, Voicu Liviu wrote:
>
>>Hi dear list,
>>I have heard that "make menuconfig" for kernel 2.6-beta1 is deprecated?
>>Am I correct? If yes then how do I get into the config?
>
> You are wrong - make menuconfig is still OK.
> Mak sure to read the document made by dave j. before playing too much
> with 2.6.
> It is at: http://www.codemonkey.org.uk - but I cannot get in contact with it
> right now.
> See instead:
> http://lwn.net/Articles/39901/
>

>>Alos tryied to run 'make menuconfig' from tcsh and got error like:
>>Missing }.
>
> Works for me. Could you provide exact error-message etc.

liviu@starshooter liviu $ su
Password:
liviu has logged on pts/0 from :0.0.
liviu has logged on pts/1 from :0.0.
liviu has logged on vc/1 from local.
liviu has logged on vc/2 from local.
starshooter /root# cd /usr/src/linux
starshooter src/linux# make menuconfig
Missing }.
starshooter src/linux#

Liviu

> Sam
> -

Voicu Liviu
Rothberg International School
Computation center, Mount Scopus
Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Tel: 972(2)-5881253
E-mail: [email protected]

System Operating: Linux Gentoo1.4 ( http://www.gentoo.org )

Click here to see my GPG signature:
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?template=netensearch%2Cnetennomatch%2Cnetenerror&search=pacman%40mscc.huji.ac.il&op=vindex&fingerprint=on&submit=Get+List

2003-07-27 14:11:25

by Sam Ravnborg

On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 12:27:01PM +0300, Voicu Liviu wrote:

> >Works for me. Could you provide exact error-message etc.
>
> liviu@starshooter liviu $ su
> Password:
> liviu has logged on pts/0 from :0.0.
> liviu has logged on pts/1 from :0.0.
> liviu has logged on vc/1 from local.
> liviu has logged on vc/2 from local.
> starshooter /root# cd /usr/src/linux
> starshooter src/linux# make menuconfig
> Missing }.
> starshooter src/linux#

Too little context to determine where it goes wrong.
I tried with tcsh here with success.

Try the followings steps:

1) Do not compile as root. In general does as little as possible as root.
Only the kernel installlation requires root priviliges.

2) Try to run "make -n", that may hint where is goes wrong.

3) Do not locate the kernel src in /usr/src/linux - it will conflict with
glibc header files. No matter what a HOWTO say otherwise.

4) Try another shell, for instance bash.
Not that the kernel build should rely on bash only, but an approach to
get your kernel to compile.

Sam