2003-07-30 14:50:59

by Mike Galbraith

Subject: 2.6.0-test2+ext3+dbench=Buffer I/O error

Greetings,

While trying to duplicate Randy Hron's "dbench has intermittent hang on
2.6.0-test1-ac2" report, I received quite a few "Buffer I/O error on
/dev/hda8, logical block N" messages. (changing elevators makes no
difference fwiw). I went back to test1, and it spat up a couple of "buffer
layer error" messages and associated traces. Attempting to umount
afterward to run fsck left umount in D state. See attachment.

Rebooting and running fsck turned up nothing wrong.

-Mike

Attachments:
xx (5.96 kB)

2003-07-30 22:21:25

by Andrew Morton

Subject: Re: 2.6.0-test2+ext3+dbench=Buffer I/O error

Mike Galbraith <[email protected]> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> While trying to duplicate Randy Hron's "dbench has intermittent hang on
> 2.6.0-test1-ac2" report, I received quite a few "Buffer I/O error on
> /dev/hda8, logical block N" messages. (changing elevators makes no
> difference fwiw).

That's just a gremlinlet. You can delete the offending printk for now.

> I went back to test1, and it spat up a couple of "buffer
> layer error" messages and associated traces. Attempting to umount
> afterward to run fsck left umount in D state. See attachment.

Well that's a worry. Is it repeatable?

2003-07-30 22:57:42

by Lou Langholtz

Andrew Morton wrote:

>Mike Galbraith <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Greetings,
>>
>>While trying to duplicate Randy Hron's "dbench has intermittent hang on
>>2.6.0-test1-ac2" report, I received quite a few "Buffer I/O error on
>>/dev/hda8, logical block N" messages. (changing elevators makes no
>>difference fwiw).
>>

>That's just a gremlinlet. You can delete the offending printk for now.
>

>>I went back to test1, and it spat up a couple of "buffer
>>layer error" messages and associated traces. Attempting to umount
>>afterward to run fsck left umount in D state. See attachment.
>>

>Well that's a worry. Is it repeatable? . . .

Any chance this problem is a consequence of not yet having Sean
Estabrooks partial bvec patch in this person's kernel???
<http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0307.3/0861.html>. Jens
said he applied it on 2003/7/27 so it doesn't seem like this could have
made it into 2.6.0-test1-ac2.

2003-07-31 04:09:10

by Mike Galbraith

At 03:09 PM 7/30/2003 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
>Mike Galbraith <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I went back to test1, and it spat up a couple of "buffer
> > layer error" messages and associated traces. Attempting to umount
> > afterward to run fsck left umount in D state. See attachment.
>
>Well that's a worry. Is it repeatable?

Not within 30 retry runs. (elves and gremlins)

-Mike

2003-07-31 12:05:27

by Jens Axboe

On Wed, Jul 30 2003, Lou Langholtz wrote:
> Andrew Morton wrote:
>
> >Mike Galbraith <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> >>Greetings,
> >>
> >>While trying to duplicate Randy Hron's "dbench has intermittent hang on
> >>2.6.0-test1-ac2" report, I received quite a few "Buffer I/O error on
> >>/dev/hda8, logical block N" messages. (changing elevators makes no
> >>difference fwiw).
> >>

> >That's just a gremlinlet. You can delete the offending printk for now.
> >

> >>I went back to test1, and it spat up a couple of "buffer
> >>layer error" messages and associated traces. Attempting to umount
> >>afterward to run fsck left umount in D state. See attachment.
> >>

> >Well that's a worry. Is it repeatable? . . .
> >
> Any chance this problem is a consequence of not yet having Sean
> Estabrooks partial bvec patch in this person's kernel???
> <http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0307.3/0861.html>. Jens
> said he applied it on 2003/7/27 so it doesn't seem like this could have
> made it into 2.6.0-test1-ac2.

no not unless Mike is using taskfile + pio, and even then I've never
heard of it triggering.

--
Jens Axboe

2003-07-31 17:02:42

by Bill Davidsen

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Andrew Morton wrote:

> Mike Galbraith <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> > While trying to duplicate Randy Hron's "dbench has intermittent hang on
> > 2.6.0-test1-ac2" report, I received quite a few "Buffer I/O error on
> > /dev/hda8, logical block N" messages. (changing elevators makes no
> > difference fwiw).
>
> That's just a gremlinlet. You can delete the offending printk for now.

I can live with the message, it will remind me that there is still an
issue of some kind. I get it doing other things and on other partitions,
obviously.

--
bill davidsen <[email protected]>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc