2003-08-04 21:45:28

by David Hollis

Subject: USB Mouse oddity with 2.6.0-test2-mm4 + 013int

I just went to 2.6.0-test2-mm4 with Con's 012/013 interactivity patches
(from 2.6.0-test2-mm2) on my laptop and I'm now having an odd time with
my USB mouse. After a short period of time (5 minutes or less), it
stops working entirely. If I remove the usbmouse module and reload it,
I get it back. There is nothing in my logs or dmesg output stating any
kind of problem. Is anyone else seeing this problem? Anyone happen to
know where the problem may lie?

2003-08-05 00:46:06

by Greg KH

Subject: Re: USB Mouse oddity with 2.6.0-test2-mm4 + 013int

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 05:39:30PM -0400, David T Hollis wrote:
> I just went to 2.6.0-test2-mm4 with Con's 012/013 interactivity patches
> (from 2.6.0-test2-mm2) on my laptop and I'm now having an odd time with
> my USB mouse. After a short period of time (5 minutes or less), it
> stops working entirely. If I remove the usbmouse module and reload it,
> I get it back. There is nothing in my logs or dmesg output stating any
> kind of problem. Is anyone else seeing this problem? Anyone happen to
> know where the problem may lie?

Don't use the usbmouse module, use the hid module instead.

But that should not really cause this problem. Can you enable
CONFIG_USB_DEBUG to see if anything else shows up in your logs?

Oh, and does this also happen with 2.6.0-test2?

thanks,

greg k-h

2003-08-05 01:53:47

by David Hollis

Greg KH wrote:

>On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 05:39:30PM -0400, David T Hollis wrote:
>

>>I just went to 2.6.0-test2-mm4 with Con's 012/013 interactivity patches
>>(from 2.6.0-test2-mm2) on my laptop and I'm now having an odd time with
>>my USB mouse. After a short period of time (5 minutes or less), it
>>stops working entirely. If I remove the usbmouse module and reload it,
>>I get it back. There is nothing in my logs or dmesg output stating any
>>kind of problem. Is anyone else seeing this problem? Anyone happen to
>>know where the problem may lie?
>>

>Don't use the usbmouse module, use the hid module instead.
>
>But that should not really cause this problem. Can you enable
>CONFIG_USB_DEBUG to see if anything else shows up in your logs?
>
>Oh, and does this also happen with 2.6.0-test2?
>
>thanks,
>
>greg k-h

It worked fine under 2.6.0-test2-mm2 and 2.6.0-test2-mm1. With some
further investigating, it seems that usbmouse is not loaded at startup,
just hid. Following your suggestion, I removed both and just loaded hid
and the mouse works ok, for a short period of time. Eventually it stops
and I have to rmmod hid and reload load it. Sometimes I get a decent
amount of time (maybe 30 minutes or so) before it sticks. I'm turning
on USB_DEBUG and will rebuild to see if I get any more helpful info.