2003-08-14 17:29:36

by Marcelo Tosatti

Subject: Re: 2.4.22-rc2 boot hang

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Narayan Desai wrote:

> We have a netfinity 5100 (including aic7xxx scsi controllers) that
> fails to boot with kernels newer than 2.4.18. The last few lines in
> the boot messages are:
> hda: LTN485S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
> hda: attached ide-cdrom driver.
> hda: ATAPI 48X CD-ROM drive, 120kB Cache
> Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
> SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
>
> After this point, the system has locked up. (sysrqs don't work, etc)
> The system is a dual pIII. acpi is disabled. This machine has worked
> stably with 2.4.14 and 2.4.18 for quite a while. (it is a fileserver,
> and isn't touched often)
>
> I have tried running with noapic, to no avail. I have attached
> complete boot messages and .config. How can i get more info out about
> where it is dying?

Do you have the NMI watchdog on? If not please turn it on, it should give
us useful information.

2003-08-14 18:12:35

by Narayan Desai

Marcelo> Do you have the NMI watchdog on? If not please turn it on,
Marcelo> it should give us useful information.

It is an SMP box APIC turned on, so i think this support is already in
the kernel. I booted it with nmi_watchdog=1 and it didn't produce any
extra output, even after waiting...is there anything else i can do?
thanks...
-nld

2003-08-14 19:39:06

by Samuel Flory

Narayan Desai wrote:

> Marcelo> Do you have the NMI watchdog on? If not please turn it on,
> Marcelo> it should give us useful information.
>
>It is an SMP box APIC turned on, so i think this support is already in
>the kernel. I booted it with nmi_watchdog=1 and it didn't produce any
>extra output, even after waiting...is there anything else i can do?
>thanks...

Try compiling it with ACPI support on;-)

--
Once you have their hardware. Never give it back.
(The First Rule of Hardware Acquisition)

2003-08-14 20:45:47

by Narayan Desai

Sam> Try compiling it with ACPI support on;-)

this also didn't work. The only think that is slightly weird about
this machine is a large 3-4 number of scsi controllers. Can you think
of anything else that might be worth trying?
thanks..
-nld

2003-08-15 06:35:13

by Marcel Odendahl

On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 18:03, Narayan Desai wrote:

Hi,

I have no solution but the same problem. :-(

> We have a netfinity 5100 (including aic7xxx scsi controllers) that
> fails to boot with kernels newer than 2.4.18. The last few lines in
> the boot messages are:
> hda: LTN485S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
> hda: attached ide-cdrom driver.
> hda: ATAPI 48X CD-ROM drive, 120kB Cache
> Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
> SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00

Here I have two 2 processor maschines which boot without problems up to
kernel 2.4.19. After this kernel version the boot hang after
initializing the scsi subsystem. No error messages or anything else.
The maschines simply hang.

The first maschine has the following configuration:
2 PIII 450mhz
AHA-2940U2/U2W
2 IBM harddisk
Teac SCSI CD-Rom
1 3com 3c905B

The second maschine has the following configuration:
2 PIII 800mhz
AHA-29160
1 Segate harddisk
1 scsi hp cd-writer
1 ide cd-rom
1 rtl 8139 network card

I've tried to compile a kernel with and without APIC. Tried to compile
the scsi stuff as module and build in. I've read that there can be
problems with network cards, so I also tried to compile the network-card
driver as module and build in. Nothing helped.

With best regards,

Marcel.