2003-08-14 23:20:02

by Daniel Pezoa

Subject: TOPDIR kernel variable

Hello Kernel Community !! :-)

I'am compiling lirc software, the kernel source is
needed to make them, but when i attemt to make them it
fail because the environment variable TOPDIR is not
set, looking for the origin of the problem, the script
that fail is "pathdown.sh", one tiny script of the
kernel, it fails when is trying to assign
TP=${TOPDIR:). Reading more i found in the Kernel
Makefile the line

TOPDIR := $(shell /bin/pwd)

that command should solve my problem but if i launch
them in the console, it give me the following errors
in the screen ouput:

bash: shell: command not found
bash: TOPDIR:=: command not found

What is the intention of the environment variable
TOPDIR and how can i give them a valid value?

Thanks for your help and Good luck!! :-)

Daniel Pezoa

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

2003-08-15 01:14:06

by Herbert Poetzl

Subject: Re: TOPDIR kernel variable

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 04:19:59PM -0700, Daniel Pezoa wrote:
> Hello Kernel Community !! :-)
>
> I'am compiling lirc software, the kernel source is
> needed to make them, but when i attemt to make them it
> fail because the environment variable TOPDIR is not
> set, looking for the origin of the problem, the script
> that fail is "pathdown.sh", one tiny script of the
> kernel, it fails when is trying to assign
> TP=${TOPDIR:). Reading more i found in the Kernel
> Makefile the line
>
> TOPDIR := $(shell /bin/pwd)
>
> that command should solve my problem but if i launch
> them in the console, it give me the following errors
> in the screen ouput:
>
> bash: shell: command not found
> bash: TOPDIR:=: command not found

probably your make is too old ...

http://cip.physik.uni-wuerzburg.de/virtualmanuals/root-doku/make/make_78.html

> What is the intention of the environment variable
> TOPDIR and how can i give them a valid value?

$(shell /bin/pwd) would evaluate the current/working directory

HTH,
Herbert

> Thanks for your help and Good luck!! :-)
>
> Daniel Pezoa

by Eli Carter

Daniel Pezoa wrote:
> Hello Kernel Community !! :-)
>
> I'am compiling lirc software, the kernel source is
> needed to make them, but when i attemt to make them it
> fail because the environment variable TOPDIR is not
> set, looking for the origin of the problem, the script
> that fail is "pathdown.sh", one tiny script of the
> kernel, it fails when is trying to assign
> TP=${TOPDIR:). Reading more i found in the Kernel
> Makefile the line
>
> TOPDIR := $(shell /bin/pwd)
>
> that command should solve my problem but if i launch
> them in the console, it give me the following errors
> in the screen ouput:
>
> bash: shell: command not found
> bash: TOPDIR:=: command not found

Commands in a Makefile are for make, not commands that bash (your shell)
will understand. (If I understand what you said above, that is.)

> What is the intention of the environment variable
> TOPDIR and how can i give them a valid value?

If that is in the Makefile, try
make TOPDIR=...

HTH,

Eli
--------------------. "If it ain't broke now,
Eli Carter \ it will be soon." -- crypto-gram