2003-08-19 21:44:34

by Sam Ravnborg

Subject: kbuild: Separate ouput directory support

The following set of patches introduce support for
separate output directory when building a kernel.
Typical usage is building several kernels with different configurations -
but based on the same kernel src.

Consider the following setup:
/home/sam/bk/linux-2.6 <= kernel src

/home/sam/kernel/mars <= My workstation
/home/sam/kernel/defconfig <= defconfig for compiletime testing

Then in order to handle the two different configurations I just have to do:
cd /home/sam/bk/linux-2.6
make O=../../kernel/mars

And the same for the defconfig version.

All output files are stored in the output directory, including .config.
[Thanks to Roman Zippel which made this loong time ago in kconfig].

The patch has been in existence in several months but only lately becoming
in a suitable state ready for inclusion. It is developed based on an initial
concept made by Kai Germaschewski, but refined a lot since then.
It works with a kernel based on default configuration (make defconfig).

It is divided up in the following parts:
core the kbuild changes to support separate output directory
ieee Fix in ieee Makefile
i386 Fix in i386 Makefiles + new syntax enabled for always
This was required because i386 had an executable located in
a subdirectory.
include Fixes for errornous include paths, and one place where a generated
.c file references a .h file in the kernel tree.

Please pull from
bk pull bk://linux-sam.bkbits.net/kbuild

Patches follows this mail.

Sam

2003-08-19 21:59:22

by Sam Ravnborg

Subject: Re: kbuild: Separate ouput directory support

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 05:53:33PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Is it possible, with your patches, to build from a kernel tree on a
> read-only medium?

Yes, thats possible. But I have seen that as a secondary possibility.
But I know people has asked about the possibility to build a kernel
from src located on a CD. And thats possible with this patch.

Sam

2003-08-19 21:53:49

by Jeff Garzik

Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> The following set of patches introduce support for
> separate output directory when building a kernel.
> Typical usage is building several kernels with different configurations -
> but based on the same kernel src.

Thanks, this is some pretty neat stuff.

Is it possible, with your patches, to build from a kernel tree on a
read-only medium?

Jeff

2003-08-19 22:14:05

by Mike Fedyk

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 11:56:56PM +0200, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 05:53:33PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > Is it possible, with your patches, to build from a kernel tree on a
> > read-only medium?
>
> Yes, thats possible. But I have seen that as a secondary possibility.
> But I know people has asked about the possibility to build a kernel
> from src located on a CD. And thats possible with this patch.

That also means you can run multiple builds over nfs or even on the same
machine from the same tree (or a different tree, that was cp -al and then
patched).

Thanks.

2003-08-21 07:41:48

by Chris Friesen

Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 05:53:33PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>
>>Is it possible, with your patches, to build from a kernel tree on a
>>read-only medium?
>>

> Yes, thats possible. But I have seen that as a secondary possibility.
> But I know people has asked about the possibility to build a kernel
> from src located on a CD. And thats possible with this patch.

This rocks. I've been cleaning and rebuilding with different configs up
till now. Once we switch to 2.6 this will make things much nicer.

Chris

--
Chris Friesen | MailStop: 043/33/F10
Nortel Networks | work: (613) 765-0557

2003-08-21 09:54:04

by Geert Uytterhoeven

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 05:53:33PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > Is it possible, with your patches, to build from a kernel tree on a
> > read-only medium?
>
> Yes, thats possible. But I have seen that as a secondary possibility.
> But I know people has asked about the possibility to build a kernel
> from src located on a CD. And thats possible with this patch.

Or from a src tree in ClearCase.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [email protected]

-- Linus Torvalds