2003-08-29 02:14:27

by David Hollis

Subject: We have ethtool_ops, any thoughts on miitool_ops?

If a driver is converted to use ethtool_ops, it does not seem to have
the ability to support mii-tool any longer. RedHat uses mii-tool to
check for link before running dhclient so that you don't have to wait
forever for dhclient to timeout if the connection is down (laptops,
etc). The typical way to support mii tool was to A) handle that case in
the ethtool and call another big switch, or B) call the
generic_mii_ioctl call with the mii struct to handle what you didn't
handle under ethtool. Some method similar to ethtool_ops would really
be great.

2003-08-29 08:50:26

by Arjan van de Ven

Subject: Re: We have ethtool_ops, any thoughts on miitool_ops?

On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 04:14, David T Hollis wrote:
> If a driver is converted to use ethtool_ops, it does not seem to have
> the ability to support mii-tool any longer. RedHat uses mii-tool to
> check for link before running dhclient so that you don't have to wait
> forever for dhclient to timeout if the connection is down (laptops,
> etc).

this is legacy; the road to the future for this is ethtool + the link
status change notification stuff

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2003-08-29 11:16:48

by David Miller

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 10:50:17 +0200
Arjan van de Ven <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 04:14, David T Hollis wrote:
> > If a driver is converted to use ethtool_ops, it does not seem to have
> > the ability to support mii-tool any longer. RedHat uses mii-tool to
> > check for link before running dhclient so that you don't have to wait
> > forever for dhclient to timeout if the connection is down (laptops,
> > etc).
>
> this is legacy; the road to the future for this is ethtool + the link
> status change notification stuff

Besides, the original claim is false. You can still support all
the other ioctls however you want, even the MII ones, after
enabling ethtool_ops in a driver.

2003-08-29 11:46:22

by David Hollis

David S. Miller wrote:

>On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 10:50:17 +0200
>Arjan van de Ven <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 04:14, David T Hollis wrote:
>>

>>>If a driver is converted to use ethtool_ops, it does not seem to have
>>>the ability to support mii-tool any longer. RedHat uses mii-tool to
>>>check for link before running dhclient so that you don't have to wait
>>>forever for dhclient to timeout if the connection is down (laptops,
>>>etc).
>>>

>>this is legacy; the road to the future for this is ethtool + the link
>>status change notification stuff
>>

>Besides, the original claim is false. You can still support all
>the other ioctls however you want, even the MII ones, after
>enabling ethtool_ops in a driver.
>
>-
>the body of a message to [email protected]

Thanks for the pointer. I didn't realize I could still have the old
ioctl handler and just not worry about the ethool portion of it.