2003-08-29 23:10:01

by Michael Pruznick

Subject: root=nfs no longer works in 2.4.22

Was root=nfs removed on purpose or is it an unexpected
side effect of the "ROOT NFS fixes" patch from late
July 2003?

I understand this patch from the point of wanting to
eliminate nfs attempts when nfs is not requested. That
is clearly a reasonable thing to do. However, "root=nfs"
is a nfs request that has been accepted in the past, I've
been told, because nfs isn't a real device (but maybe it
was accepted as bug and this patch fixed it).

2003-08-29 23:28:24

by Herbert Poetzl

Subject: Re: root=nfs no longer works in 2.4.22

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 05:09:56PM -0600, Michael Pruznick wrote:
> Was root=nfs removed on purpose or is it an unexpected
> side effect of the "ROOT NFS fixes" patch from late
> July 2003?

not unexpected ...

> I understand this patch from the point of wanting to
> eliminate nfs attempts when nfs is not requested. That
> is clearly a reasonable thing to do. However, "root=nfs"
> is a nfs request that has been accepted in the past, I've
> been told, because nfs isn't a real device (but maybe it
> was accepted as bug and this patch fixed it).

simple, there was a discrepancy between the 'device'
table scanned on boot, and the actual device names
root=/dev/nfs is correct, where root=wossname worked
because it wasn't checked against anything ...

root=/dev/nfs will work for you, otherwise it is a
bug, and we'll have to fix it ...

HTH,
Herbert

2003-08-29 23:27:43

by Samuel Flory

Michael Pruznick wrote:

>Was root=nfs removed on purpose or is it an unexpected
>side effect of the "ROOT NFS fixes" patch from late
>July 2003?
>
>I understand this patch from the point of wanting to
>eliminate nfs attempts when nfs is not requested. That
>is clearly a reasonable thing to do. However, "root=nfs"
>is a nfs request that has been accepted in the past, I've
>been told, because nfs isn't a real device (but maybe it
>was accepted as bug and this patch fixed it).

So something like this doesn't work?
root=/dev/nfs ip=::::::dhcp nfsroot=10.10.1.1:/nfsroot

I know that this was work in rc2.

--
Once you have their hardware. Never give it back.
(The First Rule of Hardware Acquisition)