2003-09-08 20:42:18

by Robert P. J. Day

Subject: problem with "Gadget filesystem" config prompt (bk10)

just doing a "make oldconfig", from bk9 -> bk10, being prompted for the
USB_GADGETFS (Gadget filesystem), which asks

... [N/m/?] (NEW)

without thinking, i typed "y" (not noticing that that was not a valid
answer), and what i got back was:

Say "y" to link the driver statically, or "m" to build a
dynamically linked module called "gadgetfs".

which suggests that "y" *is* a valid response (when clearly it isn't).
someone might want to clarify this.

rday

2003-09-08 22:10:51

by Greg KH

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 11:40:46AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> just doing a "make oldconfig", from bk9 -> bk10, being prompted for the
> USB_GADGETFS (Gadget filesystem), which asks
>
> ... [N/m/?] (NEW)
>
> without thinking, i typed "y" (not noticing that that was not a valid
> answer), and what i got back was:
>
> Say "y" to link the driver statically, or "m" to build a
> dynamically linked module called "gadgetfs".
>
> which suggests that "y" *is* a valid response (when clearly it isn't).
> someone might want to clarify this.

You got the help information for this option. And "y" is a valid option
if one of the parent options is selected as "y". Not much you can do
here...

thanks,

greg k-h

2003-09-08 22:37:47

by jdow

From: "Greg KH" <[email protected]> Monday, 2003 September, 08 15:11

> On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 11:40:46AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> > just doing a "make oldconfig", from bk9 -> bk10, being prompted for
the
> > USB_GADGETFS (Gadget filesystem), which asks
> >
> > ... [N/m/?] (NEW)
> >
> > without thinking, i typed "y" (not noticing that that was not a valid
> > answer), and what i got back was:
> >
> > Say "y" to link the driver statically, or "m" to build a
> > dynamically linked module called "gadgetfs".
> >
> > which suggests that "y" *is* a valid response (when clearly it isn't).
> > someone might want to clarify this.
>
> You got the help information for this option. And "y" is a valid option
> if one of the parent options is selected as "y". Not much you can do
> here...

Perhaps the incorrect prompt could be fixed?

{^_-}

2003-09-08 23:02:29

by Greg KH

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 03:37:40PM -0700, jdow wrote:
> From: "Greg KH" <[email protected]> Monday, 2003 September, 08 15:11
>
> > On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 11:40:46AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > >
> > > just doing a "make oldconfig", from bk9 -> bk10, being prompted for
> the
> > > USB_GADGETFS (Gadget filesystem), which asks
> > >
> > > ... [N/m/?] (NEW)
> > >
> > > without thinking, i typed "y" (not noticing that that was not a valid
> > > answer), and what i got back was:
> > >
> > > Say "y" to link the driver statically, or "m" to build a
> > > dynamically linked module called "gadgetfs".
> > >
> > > which suggests that "y" *is* a valid response (when clearly it isn't).
> > > someone might want to clarify this.
> >
> > You got the help information for this option. And "y" is a valid option
> > if one of the parent options is selected as "y". Not much you can do
> > here...
>
> Perhaps the incorrect prompt could be fixed?

Patches are always welcome.

greg k-h

2003-09-09 00:20:28

by Kevin P. Fleming

Greg KH wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 03:37:40PM -0700, jdow wrote:
>

>>Perhaps the incorrect prompt could be fixed?
>

> Patches are always welcome.

I don't believe there's a patch necessary here. The options shown at
the prompt are computed by the conf program based on the current
configuration. If he had a parent option set to 'm' that keeps this
item from being set to 'y', then 'y' won't be shown as an available
option. Changing the parent option will result in the child option
having the 'y' choice available again.