2003-09-12 09:38:54

by iain d broadfoot

Subject: getting a working CD-drive in 2.6

Hi,

Since starting using 2.6, I've been unable to use my cd-rw/dvd
drive at all.

It won't read, and it certainly won't write.

Attaching my .config for you perusal - what have i done wrong?

ide-scsi is disabled.

cheers,

iain

--
"If sharing a thing in no way diminishes it, it is not rightly owned if it is
not shared." -- St. Augustine

2003-09-13 02:08:33

by Stuart Longland

Subject: Re: getting a working CD-drive in 2.6

2003-09-13 03:00:11

by Wes Janzen

Hi,

Stuart Longland wrote:

> iain d broadfoot wrote:
>
> | ide-scsi is disabled.
>
> If it's an IDE drive, you'll want this _enabled_ before you'll be able
> to write CDs. Most of the burner software that I know of look for a
> SCSI CD burner, not IDE. ide-scsi is intended for making an IDE CD
> burner appear as a SCSI device.

Actually with 2.6, you no longer need ide-scsi. You'll need to upgrade
your cdrecord tools and probably your burning GUI, if you use one. I've
been burning that way for several months now. (I'm using xcdroast,
though I need to start it with "-n" since I'm using cdrecord 2.01a18.)
This actually works better for me than ide-scsi as for some reason it
uses less CPU.

-Wes-

2003-09-13 02:59:05

by Wes Janzen

Hi,

Stuart Longland wrote:

> iain d broadfoot wrote:
>
> | ide-scsi is disabled.
>
> If it's an IDE drive, you'll want this _enabled_ before you'll be able
> to write CDs. Most of the burner software that I know of look for a
> SCSI CD burner, not IDE. ide-scsi is intended for making an IDE CD
> burner appear as a SCSI device.

Actually with 2.6, you no longer need ide-scsi. You'll need to upgrade
your cdrecord tools and probably your burning GUI, if you use one. I've
been burning that way for several months now. (I'm using xcdroast,
though I need to start it with "-n" since I'm using cdrecord 2.01a18.)
This actually works better for me than ide-scsi as for some reason it
uses less CPU.

-Wes-

2003-09-13 06:31:16

by Jens Axboe

On Fri, Sep 12 2003, Wes Janzen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Stuart Longland wrote:
>
> >iain d broadfoot wrote:
> >
> >| ide-scsi is disabled.
> >
> >If it's an IDE drive, you'll want this _enabled_ before you'll be able
> >to write CDs. Most of the burner software that I know of look for a
> >SCSI CD burner, not IDE. ide-scsi is intended for making an IDE CD
> >burner appear as a SCSI device.
>

> Actually with 2.6, you no longer need ide-scsi. You'll need to upgrade
> your cdrecord tools and probably your burning GUI, if you use one. I've
> been burning that way for several months now. (I'm using xcdroast,
> though I need to start it with "-n" since I'm using cdrecord 2.01a18.)
> This actually works better for me than ide-scsi as for some reason it
> uses less CPU.

That's because it _is_ faster. It contains no silly memory allocations
for the buffer and data copying in the kernel, the data is mapped from
the user buffer and DMA'ed directly from there. It also uses DMA where
ide-scsi wont.

People generally report that they have no problems burning at full speed
(52) on even really old machines where ide-scsi maxed out long before.

--
Jens Axboe

2003-09-13 07:01:20

by Stuart Longland

Quoting Wes Janzen <[email protected]>:

> Hi,
>
> Actually with 2.6, you no longer need ide-scsi. You'll need to upgrade
> your cdrecord tools and probably your burning GUI, if you use one....

Ahh okay, I wasn't aware of that. We use a SCSI burner anyways, but most of my
friends who have burners under Linux use IDE burners with Linux 2.4.x, and
therefore need ide-scsi.

I shall keep this in mid should I need to upgrade the burner at all {as it is
getting a bit long in the tooth -- its a Matsushita CR-7502 or something like that)

| Stuart Longland stuartl at longlandclan.hopto.org |
| Brisbane Mesh Node: 719 http://stuartl.cjb.net/ |
| I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on a tape somewhere |
| Griffith Student No: Course: Bachelor/IT (Nathan) |

by Wes Janzen

Stuart Longland wrote:

>Quoting Wes Janzen <[email protected]>:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>Actually with 2.6, you no longer need ide-scsi. You'll need to upgrade
>>your cdrecord tools and probably your burning GUI, if you use one....
>>

>Ahh okay, I wasn't aware of that. We use a SCSI burner anyways, but most of my...

And here's an even better reason to avoid ide-scsi in 2.6 (Jens sent
this to the list, but I don't see it...):

>Jens Axboe wrote:
>

>That's because it _is_ faster. It contains no silly memory allocations
>for the buffer and data copying in the kernel, the data is mapped from
>the user buffer and DMA'ed directly from there. It also uses DMA where
>ide-scsi wont.
>
>People generally report that they have no problems burning at full speed
>(52) on even really old machines where ide-scsi maxed out long before.

Certainly that is true. The system was nearly unresponsive at 16X (on
2.4.18 SuSE) with my K6-2 400, but I can set it up to 32X now and I have
no problems. My recorder never hits 32X with my media though, maxes out
at around 20X but I can browse the web while burning with absolutely no
fear of my buffer running dry (probably helps that it's a 8MB buffer but
cdrecord still never reports it being low). That's a big change from 2.4.

-Wes Janzen-

2003-09-13 09:52:40

by iain d broadfoot

* Stuart Longland ([email protected]) wrote:
> iain d broadfoot wrote:
>
> | Since starting using 2.6, I've been unable to use my cd-rw/dvd
> | drive at all.
>
> Okay, we need a little more information.
>
> What precise version of Linux 2.6? 2.6.0-test5?

As far as I can tell, all of them. :S

I'm having other problems with 4 and 5, so I can't move to them yet.

> What model/make of CDRW/DVD drive?

whatever is in my laptop. :)

sony vaio fx405, dmesg tells me it's

hdc: UJDA710, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

> What interface? e.g. SCSI, IDE, USB, Firewire....

it'll be atapi/ide i believe.

> What does 'dmesg' dump out?

the hdc: line above, basically.

> And yes, the .config might be useful.

d'oh! i did mean to attach it....

iain

--
"If sharing a thing in no way diminishes it, it is not rightly owned if it is
not shared." -- St. Augustine

Attachments:
(No filename) (876.00 B)
config-2.6.0-test3 (24.93 kB)

by iain d broadfoot

* Stuart Longland ([email protected]) wrote:
> iain d broadfoot wrote:
>
> | Since starting using 2.6, I've been unable to use my cd-rw/dvd
> | drive at all.
>
> Okay, we need a little more information.

Please ignore this problem - i just booted 2.4.21 to try some things,
and found the same problems with the drive.

``It's a Hardware Problem''

:(

Thanks for all the attempts at helping anyway,

iain

--
"If sharing a thing in no way diminishes it, it is not rightly owned if it is
not shared." -- St. Augustine

2003-09-17 11:53:57

by Pau Aliagas

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, Wes Janzen wrote:

> Stuart Longland wrote:
>
> > iain d broadfoot wrote:
> >
> > | ide-scsi is disabled.
> >
> > If it's an IDE drive, you'll want this _enabled_ before you'll be able
> > to write CDs. Most of the burner software that I know of look for a
> > SCSI CD burner, not IDE. ide-scsi is intended for making an IDE CD
> > burner appear as a SCSI device.

> Actually with 2.6, you no longer need ide-scsi. You'll need to upgrade
> your cdrecord tools and probably your burning GUI, if you use one. I've
> been burning that way for several months now. (I'm using xcdroast,
> though I need to start it with "-n" since I'm using cdrecord 2.01a18.)
> This actually works better for me than ide-scsi as for some reason it
> uses less CPU.

Just add the dev parametre to the cdrecord command line and it will work:
$ cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc
$ cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc -scanbus

You can put it in the various cd recording programs setups.

Pau