2003-09-18 20:02:36

by Nigel Cunningham

Subject: How does one get paid to work on the kernel?

Hi all.

I'm about to finish my present employment, and have wondered about the
possibility of getting paid to finish off the 2.4 version of Software
Suspend and do the port to 2.6. How does one go about seeing if anyone
might be interested in funding such a project for a few months?

Regards,

Nigel
--
Nigel Cunningham
495 St Georges Road South, Hastings 4201, New Zealand

You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless,
Christ died for the ungodly.
-- Romans 5:6, NIV.

2003-09-19 07:59:13

by Nigel Cunningham

Subject: Re: How does one get paid to work on the kernel?

There is support in the current kernel for Software Suspend, but the 2.4
version contains a lot of extra functionality that isn't present in 2.6
at the moment. (Support for HighMem, swap files, asynchronous I/O, a
nicer user interface, compression...).

--
Nigel Cunningham
495 St Georges Road South, Hastings 4201, New Zealand

You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless,
Christ died for the ungodly.
-- Romans 5:6, NIV.

2003-09-19 07:51:46

by MånsRullgård

Nigel Cunningham <[email protected]> writes:

> I'm about to finish my present employment, and have wondered about the
> possibility of getting paid to finish off the 2.4 version of Software
> Suspend and do the port to 2.6. How does one go about seeing if anyone
> might be interested in funding such a project for a few months?

Hasn't that already been done?

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

by MånsRullgård

Nigel Cunningham <[email protected]> writes:

> There is support in the current kernel for Software Suspend, but the 2.4
> version contains a lot of extra functionality that isn't present in 2.6
> at the moment. (Support for HighMem, swap files, asynchronous I/O, a
> nicer user interface, compression...).

I see. BTW, is it possible to boot normally, and later resume from
the saved state, provided you don't touch any filesystems or swap
areas involved in the suspend? I seem to recall reading somewhere
that it would be possible, but I can't find any information on how to
do it.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

by Nigel Cunningham

Yes, provided as you say that you don't mount the file systems involved;
mounting them will make journalling filesystems run their recoveries,
which will in turn make the suspend image inconsistent. It's only really
viable if the filesystems were mounted read only to start with... I've
just added functionality to the 2.4 version for such a case.

Regards,

Nigel

--
Nigel Cunningham
495 St Georges Road South, Hastings 4201, New Zealand

You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless,
Christ died for the ungodly.
-- Romans 5:6, NIV.

2003-09-19 13:39:20

by Bas Mevissen

M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:

> I see. BTW, is it possible to boot normally, and later resume from
> the saved state, provided you don't touch any filesystems or swap
> areas involved in the suspend? I seem to recall reading somewhere
> that it would be possible, but I can't find any information on how to
> do it.

Just wondering: what kind of use do you see for that?

ctually, I'm more thinking of a sort of freezing the state of processes
rather then the kernel state. It would be nice to generalise this to be
able to quick-(re)start applications (as long as their config file
aren't changed).

Bas.

2003-09-19 13:52:02

by MånsRullgård

Bas Mevissen <[email protected]> writes:

>> I see. BTW, is it possible to boot normally, and later resume from
>> the saved state, provided you don't touch any filesystems or swap
>> areas involved in the suspend? I seem to recall reading somewhere
>> that it would be possible, but I can't find any information on how to
>> do it.
>>

> Just wondering: what kind of use do you see for that?

For instance, to load a module required to access the suspended image.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

by Bas Mevissen

M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:

>>Just wondering: what kind of use do you see for that?
>
> For instance, to load a module required to access the suspended image.

Why not loading it in the initrd image? Actually, the swsusp itself
could (partly) be made a module if you load it in initrd :-)

Bas.

2003-09-19 14:10:12

by MånsRullgård

Bas Mevissen <[email protected]> writes:

>>>Just wondering: what kind of use do you see for that?
>> For instance, to load a module required to access the suspended
>> image.
>>

> Why not loading it in the initrd image? Actually, the swsusp itself
> could (partly) be made a module if you load it in initrd :-)

You might want to do more than will fit in an initrd.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> Nigel> There is support in the current kernel for Software Suspend, but
> Nigel> the 2.4 version contains a lot of extra functionality that isn't
> Nigel> present in 2.6 at the moment. (Support for HighMem, swap files,
> Nigel> asynchronous I/O, a nicer user interface, compression...).
>
> Nigel is being modest and doesn't mention that the 2.4 version actually
> works, which is possibly its biggest advantage.

2.6.0-test3 swsusp should work, too, unless you have driver problem.
With ext2, ide and vesafb you should be able to suspend/resume
correctly.
That might not be practical for you, but should be
good enough for fixing drivers.
Pavel
--
Pavel
Written on sharp zaurus, because my Velo1 broke. If you have Velo you don't need...