2003-11-08 00:30:26

by Pavel Machek

Subject: Re: test9: suspend no go

Hi!

> A little contribution to the ongoing suspend saga. This is a Sony Vaio
> SRX51P Laptop (P3 Mobile CPU, i820 chipset).

Few tips:

If you want to trick swsusp/S3 into working, you might want to try:

* go with minimal config, turn off drivers like USB you don't really
need

* use ext2. At least it has working fsck. [If something seemes to go
wrong, force fsck when you have a chance]

* turn off modules

* use vga text console, shut down X

* try running as few processes as possible, preferably go from single
use mode

When you make it work, try to find out what exactly was it that broke
suspend, and preferably fix that.

Pavel
[Johanka's followup: and *two* hearts?]

2003-11-07 22:42:21

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> |>Any idea, why the laptop is not powering on again after suspend? I can
> |>hold down the power switch as long as I want to, but the laptop doesn't
> |>do a thing.
> |

> | Seems like hardware bug? [So you have to remove battery/AC then
> | poweron?]
> | Pavel
>
> Exactly. Pretty annoying. In those days where Windows XP powered the
> laptop, this worked, so I'm pretty sure it is no hardware bug. If I
> press the power switch, the power & disk light goes on, but nothing happens.
> Is there anything w/ acpi I can try?

Hacking lowlevel sleep functions, maybe. Not sure about l-k status.

--
Horseback riding is like software...
...vgf orggre jura vgf serr.

2003-11-08 00:18:42

by Jan Dittmer

2003-11-08 00:33:34

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> |>A little contribution to the ongoing suspend saga. This is a Sony Vaio
> |>SRX51P Laptop (P3 Mobile CPU, i820 chipset).
> | Few tips:
> |
> | If you want to trick swsusp/S3 into working, you might want to try:
> |
> | * go with minimal config, turn off drivers like USB you don't really
> | need
> |

> Tried it with minimal config. Base problem is, that after suspending,
> I've no way to wake up the laptop again, but power cycling.

Well, that's expected I believe. You use power button to wake it up...

> That means:
> ~ "mem": after power cycling it is doing a 'normal' reboot. (okay memory
> contents is lost, so this is somewhat expected)

Lets solve S3 later...

> ~ "disk": hey, after power cycling it indeed resumes to the previous
> state. so I tried to compile in some more stuff. What breaks it is AGP
> support :-(. Are there any patches around which may fix this?

No, someone needs to do the work.

> Any idea, why the laptop is not powering on again after suspend? I can
> hold down the power switch as long as I want to, but the laptop doesn't
> do a thing.

Seems like hardware bug? [So you have to remove battery/AC then
poweron?]
Pavel
--
Horseback riding is like software...