2003-11-18 11:10:33

by Patrick Beard

Subject: Smartmedia 2.6.0-test9 problem.

Hi,
I have two smartmedia cards 16mb and 64mb. I have recently compiled the
Debian source for Kernel 2.6.0-test9.
I normally only use my 64mb card together with a usb reader. The problem I
have led me to the wrong conclusion which I reported to this group. For this
I apologise.

I have now clearly identified the problem and have repeated it and doubled
checked to ensure that this post is accurate.
The problem is;
I can mount both the 16mb and 64mb cards if I use my camera. If I use my
reader, the 16mb card mounts ok but, the 64mb card returns no media found.
When I used the 2.4.19 kernel the 64mb card worked fine with the reader. A
new addition to my setup (apart from 2.6-test) is a usb to serial adapter. I
connect all these to a usb hub running in passive mode. In case the addition
of the usb/serial adapter was not leaving enough power for the larger
capacity SM card I attached the power adapter to the hub and switched it to
'powered'. This made not difference to the problem.
my fstab entry is;
/dev/sda1 /mnt/smedia vfat rw,user,noauto 0,0

when the 64mb card is mounted in the camera fdisk -l returns;

/dev/sda1 * 1 500 63972+ 1 FAT12

Any help on this would be appreciated.

__
Patrick

2003-11-18 11:30:40

by Patrick Beard

Subject: Re: Smartmedia 2.6.0-test9 problem.

> /dev/sda1 /mnt/smedia vfat rw,user,noauto 0,0

There's a typo in the above - its actually;
/dev/sda1 /mnt/smedia vfat rw,user,noauto 0 0

--
Patrick

2003-11-18 17:48:31

by Nick Craig-Wood

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 11:11:26AM -0000, Patrick Beard wrote:
> I have two smartmedia cards 16mb and 64mb. I have recently compiled
> the Debian source for Kernel 2.6.0-test9. I normally only use my
> 64mb card together with a usb reader. The problem I have led me to
> the wrong conclusion which I reported to this group. For this I
> apologise.

I wonder if you are seeing the same thing I see...

I have several different sized memory cards which I use using a usb
adaptor. The kernel (I've only tried 2.4 not 2.6) recognises the
first one fine, but refuses to update its internal knowledge of the
size of the card so if I insert a different sized one it doesn't mount
properly.

The work-around I use is to "rmmod usb-storage ; modprobe usb-storage"
whenever I change memory card - this kicks the kernel into re-reading
the size of the media (or maybe the partition table) and it all works
fine after that.

This obviously isn't ideal but I haven't found a better solution.

--
Nick Craig-Wood

by Parick Beard

> I wonder if you are seeing the same thing I see...
>
> I have several different sized memory cards which I use using a usb
> adaptor. The kernel (I've only tried 2.4 not 2.6) recognises the
> first one fine, but refuses to update its internal knowledge of the
> size of the card so if I insert a different sized one it doesn't mount
> properly.
>
> The work-around I use is to "rmmod usb-storage ; modprobe usb-storage"
> whenever I change memory card - this kicks the kernel into re-reading
> the size of the media (or maybe the partition table) and it all works
> fine after that.
>
> This obviously isn't ideal but I haven't found a better solution.

Nick,

Thanks for that thought. I only recently found out about that. It led me
to interpret my problem wrongly the first time.
Unfortunately this is not my problem. On a clean boot I can't mount the
64mb card in the reader, yet if I plug my camera in I can mount it there.
The 16mb card however mounts no problem in the reader.

As an alternative to the fix for the problem you see. Here is a link I
found that towards the bottom of the page has a solution. I haven't tried
it myself, but it might interest you.

http://bmiller.customer.netspace.net.au/linux/c5050.html

If ever I get my problem sorted I'll give it a try myself.

--
Patrick

2003-11-18 22:17:19

by Eli Carter

Nick Craig-Wood wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 11:11:26AM -0000, Patrick Beard wrote:
>
>>I have two smartmedia cards 16mb and 64mb. I have recently compiled
>>the Debian source for Kernel 2.6.0-test9. I normally only use my
>>64mb card together with a usb reader. The problem I have led me to
>>the wrong conclusion which I reported to this group. For this I
>>apologise.
>

> I wonder if you are seeing the same thing I see...
>
> I have several different sized memory cards which I use using a usb
> adaptor. The kernel (I've only tried 2.4 not 2.6) recognises the
> first one fine, but refuses to update its internal knowledge of the
> size of the card so if I insert a different sized one it doesn't mount
> properly.
>
> The work-around I use is to "rmmod usb-storage ; modprobe usb-storage"
> whenever I change memory card - this kicks the kernel into re-reading
> the size of the media (or maybe the partition table) and it all works
> fine after that.
>
> This obviously isn't ideal but I haven't found a better solution.

I've had this problem with 2.4 kernels as well, and use "unplug the
reader, rmmod, plug in the reader". I reported this a long time ago,
and didn't get any response IIRC.

Eli
--------------------. "If it ain't broke now,
Eli Carter \ it will be soon." -- crypto-gram
eli.carter(a)inet.com `-------------------------------------------------

2003-11-18 23:08:15

by Eli Carter

Eli Carter wrote:
> Nick Craig-Wood wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 11:11:26AM -0000, Patrick Beard wrote:
>>
>>> I have two smartmedia cards 16mb and 64mb. I have recently compiled
>>> the Debian source for Kernel 2.6.0-test9. I normally only use my
>>> 64mb card together with a usb reader. The problem I have led me to
>>> the wrong conclusion which I reported to this group. For this I
>>> apologise.
>>

>> I wonder if you are seeing the same thing I see...
>>
>> I have several different sized memory cards which I use using a usb
>> adaptor. The kernel (I've only tried 2.4 not 2.6) recognises the
>> first one fine, but refuses to update its internal knowledge of the
>> size of the card so if I insert a different sized one it doesn't mount
>> properly.
>>
>> The work-around I use is to "rmmod usb-storage ; modprobe usb-storage"
>> whenever I change memory card - this kicks the kernel into re-reading
>> the size of the media (or maybe the partition table) and it all works
>> fine after that.
>>
>> This obviously isn't ideal but I haven't found a better solution.
>>

> I've had this problem with 2.4 kernels as well, and use "unplug the
> reader, rmmod, plug in the reader". I reported this a long time ago,
> and didn't get any response IIRC.

Oh, I just realized... I should mention that I was having this problem
with CompactFlash cards of differing sizes/partitioning.

Eli
--------------------. "If it ain't broke now,
Eli Carter \ it will be soon." -- crypto-gram
eli.carter(a)inet.com `-------------------------------------------------

2003-11-19 09:39:20

by Vid Strpic

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 05:48:28PM +0000, Nick Craig-Wood wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 11:11:26AM -0000, Patrick Beard wrote:
> > I have two smartmedia cards 16mb and 64mb. I have recently compiled
> > the Debian source for Kernel 2.6.0-test9. I normally only use my
> > 64mb card together with a usb reader. The problem I have led me to
> > the wrong conclusion which I reported to this group. For this I
> > apologise.
> I wonder if you are seeing the same thing I see...
> I have several different sized memory cards which I use using a usb
> adaptor. The kernel (I've only tried 2.4 not 2.6) recognises the
> first one fine, but refuses to update its internal knowledge of the
> size of the card so if I insert a different sized one it doesn't mount
> properly.

I don't have that problem, luckily, but a different one...

> The work-around I use is to "rmmod usb-storage ; modprobe usb-storage"
> whenever I change memory card - this kicks the kernel into re-reading
> the size of the media (or maybe the partition table) and it all works
> fine after that.
> This obviously isn't ideal but I haven't found a better solution.

Sometimes kernel doesn't want to recognize the SM card in reader, and I
have to reinsert it, sometimes several times. In 2.4, one `eject
/dev/sda` fixes the problem, in 2.6 not any more. But reinserting
always helps... obviously, not ideal too, but it works for me.

--
[email protected], IRC:*@Martin, /bin/zsh. C|N>K
Linux moria 2.6.0-test9 #1 Sat Oct 25 23:00:37 CEST 2003 i686

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.56 kB)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Patrick Beard

> I can mount both the 16mb and 64mb cards if I use my camera. If I use my
> reader, the 16mb card mounts ok but, the 64mb card returns no media found.

I was at this again last night. I'm no further forward but, I did notice the
returned message is actually 'No medium found'. Don't no if this makes a
difference to finding a solution.

--
Patrick

2003-11-20 22:57:25

by Andries Brouwer

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 09:51:25PM +0000, Parick Beard wrote:

> Thanks for that thought. I only recently found out about that. It led me
> to interpret my problem wrongly the first time.
> Unfortunately this is not my problem. On a clean boot I can't mount the
> 64mb card in the reader, yet if I plug my camera in I can mount it there.
> The 16mb card however mounts no problem in the reader.

I forgot what kind of reader and what kind of cards you used.
This evening I fixed some problems with sddr09.c on SmartMedia cards
larger than 16 MB.

(patch on request, or on linux-usb)

2003-11-20 23:00:11

by Andries Brouwer

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 04:17:15PM -0600, Eli Carter wrote:
> Nick Craig-Wood wrote:

> >The work-around I use is to "rmmod usb-storage ; modprobe usb-storage"
> >whenever I change memory card - this kicks the kernel into re-reading

> I've had this problem with 2.4 kernels as well, and use "unplug the
> reader, rmmod, plug in the reader". I reported this a long time ago,

There is a command that tells the kernel to reread:
blockdev --rereadpt /dev/foo

2003-11-21 10:59:58

by Parick Beard

>> 64mb card in the reader, yet if I plug my camera in I can mount it there.
>> The 16mb card however mounts no problem in the reader.
>
> I forgot what kind of reader and what kind of cards you used.
> This evening I fixed some problems with sddr09.c on SmartMedia cards
> larger than 16 MB.
>
> (patch on request, or on linux-usb)

Thanks for getting back to me on this.
My cards are Olympus branded smartmedia cards (16mb & 64mb). The reader is
a Belkin usb reader (part # F5U141xMSD.

I have made a bit of progress. I've not changed my Linux install. Instead
today I bought myself a cheap 8 in 1 usb reader made by Typhoon. This
reads both cards just fine.
As the Belkin worked fine until I installed 2.6.0-test9 I would be
interested in applying your patch to see if it gets the Belkin working
again. Could you email me it please.

--
Patrick