2004-01-08 13:43:08

by Martin F Krafft

Subject: RAID 5 from 2.4.24 to 2.6.0

Due to stability problems with the RAID code in 2.4 (detaailed
message forthcoming), I would like to try 2.6.0 on one of our
servers. However, anticipating problems, I want to make sure that
this change is not irreversible.

Can I mount RAID 1 and 5 partitions in 2.6.0 and 2.4.24
interchangeably?

Martin F. Krafft Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
Ph.D. Student Department of Information Technology
Email: [email protected] University of Zurich
Tel: +41.(0)1.63-54323 Andreasstrasse 15, Office 2.20
http://ailab.ch/people/krafft CH-8050 Zurich, Switzerland

one has to multiply thoughts to the point
where there aren't enough policemen to control them.
-- stanislaw jerzey lec

Attachments:
(No filename) (857.00 B)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature

by Måns Rullgård

Subject: Re: RAID 5 from 2.4.24 to 2.6.0

Martin F Krafft <[email protected]> writes:

> Due to stability problems with the RAID code in 2.4 (detaailed
> message forthcoming), I would like to try 2.6.0 on one of our
> servers. However, anticipating problems, I want to make sure that
> this change is not irreversible.

You'd better use 2.6.1-rc1 or later if you want to actually use the
arrays.

> Can I mount RAID 1 and 5 partitions in 2.6.0 and 2.4.24
> interchangeably?

Yes.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

by martin f krafft

> You'd better use 2.6.1-rc1 or later if you want to actually use
> the arrays.

So I take it there are great improvements coming, and my problems[1]
could well be fixed by that... well, sounds like it's worth a try!

1. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=107357557927500&w=2

--
martin; (greetings from the heart of the sun.)
\____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net@madduck

invalid/expired pgp subkeys? use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!

for years, we have thought that a million monkeys typing at a million
typewriters would eventually produce the complete works of shakespeare.
today, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true.

Attachments:
(No filename) (680.00 B)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature

by Bryan Whitehead

martin f krafft wrote:
>>You'd better use 2.6.1-rc1 or later if you want to actually use
>>the arrays.
>

> So I take it there are great improvements coming, and my problems[1]
> could well be fixed by that... well, sounds like it's worth a try!
>
> 1. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=107357557927500&w=2

Can you run memtest on this box with stability problems?

--
Bryan Whitehead
SysAdmin - JPL - Interferometry and Large Optical Systems

by martin f krafft

also sprach Bryan Whitehead <[email protected]> [2004.01.08.1914 +0100]:
> Can you run memtest on this box with stability problems?

I have... no errors.

--
martin; (greetings from the heart of the sun.)
\____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net@madduck

invalid/expired pgp subkeys? use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!

"my father, a good man, told me:
'never lose your ignorance; you cannot replace it.'"
-- erich maria remarque

Attachments:
(No filename) (505.00 B)
signature.asc (189.00 B)