2004-01-08 19:37:36

by Gene Heskett

Subject: Howto use diff compatibly

Greetings;

Whats the general option syntax used with diff to generate the
patchfiles I see posted here?

I have a small patch to drivers/block/floppy.c that seems to allow it
to function with older 256 byte per sector formats that I'd like to
submit.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M

by Randy.Dunlap

Subject: Re: Howto use diff compatibly

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 14:36:15 -0500 Gene Heskett <[email protected]> wrote:

| Greetings;
|
| Whats the general option syntax used with diff to generate the
| patchfiles I see posted here?
|
| I have a small patch to drivers/block/floppy.c that seems to allow it
| to function with older 256 byte per sector formats that I'd like to
| submit.

Please read Documentation/SubmittingPatches .

--
~Randy
MOTD: Always include version info.

2004-01-08 19:58:26

by Måns Rullgård

Gene Heskett <[email protected]> writes:

> Greetings;
>
> Whats the general option syntax used with diff to generate the
> patchfiles I see posted here?

Read Documentation/SubmittingPatches.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

by Gene Heskett

On Thursday 08 January 2004 14:36, Gene Heskett wrote:
>Greetings;
>
>Whats the general option syntax used with diff to generate the
>patchfiles I see posted here?
>
>I have a small patch to drivers/block/floppy.c that seems to allow
> it to function with older 256 byte per sector formats that I'd like
> to submit.

I have a better idea. Who is the current maintainer for
drivers/block/floppy.c?

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M

by Maciej Żenczykowski

> I have a better idea. Who is the current maintainer for
> drivers/block/floppy.c?

Check MAINTAINERS for floppy

linux 2.4.23:

IDE/ATAPI FLOPPY DRIVERS
P: Paul Bristow
M: Paul Bristow <[email protected]>
W: http://paulbristow.net/linux/idefloppy.html
L: [email protected]
S: Maintained

Cheers,
MaZe.

2004-01-08 22:52:09

by Samuel Flory

Maciej Zenczykowski wrote:
>>I have a better idea. Who is the current maintainer for
>>drivers/block/floppy.c?
>

> Check MAINTAINERS for floppy
>
> linux 2.4.23:
>
> IDE/ATAPI FLOPPY DRIVERS
> P: Paul Bristow
> M: Paul Bristow <[email protected]>
> W: http://paulbristow.net/linux/idefloppy.html
> L: [email protected]
> S: Maintained

That would be the maintainer for drivers/ide/ide-floppy.c. I don't
think there is a maintainer for drivers/block/floppy.c.

--
Unless you can't avoid it never put a
serial number on any of your systems!!

2004-01-08 23:18:23

by Dave Jones

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 02:51:56PM -0800, Samuel Flory wrote:
> That would be the maintainer for drivers/ide/ide-floppy.c. I don't
> think there is a maintainer for drivers/block/floppy.c.

floppy.c is one of those 'last person who touched it' hot-potatoes 8-)

Dave

2004-01-08 23:57:40

by Gene Heskett

On Thursday 08 January 2004 17:02, Maciej Zenczykowski wrote:
>> I have a better idea. Who is the current maintainer for
>> drivers/block/floppy.c?
>
>Check MAINTAINERS for floppy
>
>linux 2.4.23:
>
>IDE/ATAPI FLOPPY DRIVERS
>P: Paul Bristow
>M: Paul Bristow <[email protected]>
>W: http://paulbristow.net/linux/idefloppy.html
>L: [email protected] ^^^^^^^^^
>S: Maintained
>
>Cheers,
>MaZe.

Unforch, this appears to apply only to the ide-floppies, such as the
ill-treated LS-120/240 stuffs.

I'm refering to the regular, get 'em for a 20 dollar bill at
circuit-city 3.5 floppys, or the older 5.25" versions, definitely not
the high-priced spread.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M

by Gene Heskett

On Thursday 08 January 2004 18:17, Dave Jones wrote:
>On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 02:51:56PM -0800, Samuel Flory wrote:
> > That would be the maintainer for drivers/ide/ide-floppy.c. I
> > don't think there is a maintainer for drivers/block/floppy.c.
>
>floppy.c is one of those 'last person who touched it' hot-potatoes
> 8-)
>
> Dave

Humm, precisely what I was afraid of... And I don't want to 'adopt'
that puppy, not knowing near enough about it to be able to address
every potential problem.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M

by Jesper Juhl

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Thursday 08 January 2004 18:17, Dave Jones wrote:
> >On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 02:51:56PM -0800, Samuel Flory wrote:
> > > That would be the maintainer for drivers/ide/ide-floppy.c. I
> > > don't think there is a maintainer for drivers/block/floppy.c.
> >
> >floppy.c is one of those 'last person who touched it' hot-potatoes
> > 8-)
> >
> > Dave
>
> Humm, precisely what I was afraid of... And I don't want to 'adopt'
> that puppy, not knowing near enough about it to be able to address
> every potential problem.

Why don't you post the patch and see what reactions it generates? If
you've got some good code it would be a shame not to see it used.
On the other hand, if it turns out not to be good, then the easiest
way to find that out is for people to get a chance to look at it and
pull it apart...
Discussions of puppy 'adoptions' could come later ;)

-- Jesper Juhl

2004-01-09 06:10:13

by Jan-Benedict Glaw

On Thu, 2004-01-08 14:36:15 -0500, Gene Heskett <[email protected]>
wrote in message <[email protected]>:
> Whats the general option syntax used with diff to generate the
> patchfiles I see posted here?

$ diff -Nur linux-2.6.x-clean linux-2.6.x-floppy-fixed

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw [email protected] . +49-172-7608481
"Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg

(No filename) (606.00 B)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature
Download all attachments