2008-11-12 23:57:30

by Greg KH

Subject: Can you add the staging tree to -next?

Hi,

I'm starting to get people sending me patches against -next for the
drivers/staging/ tree that don't apply as -next does not include my
quilt tree of staging patches.

Can you please pick it up? You can put it at the end of your series,
and the 'make allmodconfig' option disables building anything in the
drivers/staging/ subdirectory, so it should not have any build or merge
conflicts with anything.

It can be found at:
http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/gregkh/gregkh-2.6/gregkh-05-staging/
and is a quilt tree.

It will follow all the same rules as other trees, with patches only for
the next merge window (2.6.29 right now) in it.

thanks,

greg k-h

2008-11-13 23:44:44

by Stephen Rothwell

Subject: Re: Can you add the staging tree to -next?

Hi Greg,

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 15:56:00 -0800 Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm starting to get people sending me patches against -next for the
> drivers/staging/ tree that don't apply as -next does not include my
> quilt tree of staging patches.
>
> Can you please pick it up? You can put it at the end of your series,
> and the 'make allmodconfig' option disables building anything in the
> drivers/staging/ subdirectory, so it should not have any build or merge
> conflicts with anything.
>
> It can be found at:
> http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/gregkh/gregkh-2.6/gregkh-05-staging/
> and is a quilt tree.
>
> It will follow all the same rules as other trees, with patches only for
> the next merge window (2.6.29 right now) in it.

OK, I have added it starting today.

Stephen Rothwell [email protected]
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/

Attachments:
(No filename) (897.00 B)
(No filename) (197.00 B)

by Greg KH

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 10:44:21AM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 15:56:00 -0800 Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > I'm starting to get people sending me patches against -next for the
> > drivers/staging/ tree that don't apply as -next does not include my
> > quilt tree of staging patches.
> >
> > Can you please pick it up? You can put it at the end of your series,
> > and the 'make allmodconfig' option disables building anything in the
> > drivers/staging/ subdirectory, so it should not have any build or merge
> > conflicts with anything.
> >
> > It can be found at:
> > http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/gregkh/gregkh-2.6/gregkh-05-staging/
> > and is a quilt tree.
> >
> > It will follow all the same rules as other trees, with patches only for
> > the next merge window (2.6.29 right now) in it.
>
> OK, I have added it starting today.

Thank you very much, I appreciate it.

greg k-h

2008-11-14 00:13:53

by J.R. Mauro

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 7:01 PM, Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 10:44:21AM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>> Hi Greg,
>>
>> On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 15:56:00 -0800 Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >
>> > I'm starting to get people sending me patches against -next for the
>> > drivers/staging/ tree that don't apply as -next does not include my
>> > quilt tree of staging patches.
>> >
>> > Can you please pick it up? You can put it at the end of your series,
>> > and the 'make allmodconfig' option disables building anything in the
>> > drivers/staging/ subdirectory, so it should not have any build or merge
>> > conflicts with anything.
>> >
>> > It can be found at:
>> > http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/gregkh/gregkh-2.6/gregkh-05-staging/
>> > and is a quilt tree.
>> >
>> > It will follow all the same rules as other trees, with patches only for
>> > the next merge window (2.6.29 right now) in it.
>>
>> OK, I have added it starting today.
>
> Thank you very much, I appreciate it.

Greg, will this suffice for having a git repo for staging, or are you
still planning on a discrete staging repo?

> greg k-h

by Greg KH

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 07:13:40PM -0500, J.R. Mauro wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 7:01 PM, Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 10:44:21AM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> >> Hi Greg,

> >> OK, I have added it starting today.
> >
> > Thank you very much, I appreciate it.
>
> Greg, will this suffice for having a git repo for staging, or are you
> still planning on a discrete staging repo?

For now, this is probably going to be sufficient for me, how about you?

thanks,

greg k-h

2008-11-14 00:25:41

by J.R. Mauro

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 7:22 PM, Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 07:13:40PM -0500, J.R. Mauro wrote:

>> > Thank you very much, I appreciate it.
>>
>> Greg, will this suffice for having a git repo for staging, or are you
>> still planning on a discrete staging repo?
>
> For now, this is probably going to be sufficient for me, how about you?

Should work fine

> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

2008-11-14 07:43:02

by Geert Uytterhoeven

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008, Greg KH wrote:
> I'm starting to get people sending me patches against -next for the
> drivers/staging/ tree that don't apply as -next does not include my
> quilt tree of staging patches.
>
> Can you please pick it up? You can put it at the end of your series,
> and the 'make allmodconfig' option disables building anything in the
> drivers/staging/ subdirectory, so it should not have any build or merge
> conflicts with anything.

Apart from the patches you receive against -next, is there any other
advantage, giving staging is disabled?

> It can be found at:
> http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/gregkh/gregkh-2.6/gregkh-05-staging/
> and is a quilt tree.
>
> It will follow all the same rules as other trees, with patches only for
> the next merge window (2.6.29 right now) in it.

Except that there's much less compile-coverage, as allmodconfig doesn't enable
staging.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [email protected]

-- Linus Torvalds

2008-11-14 07:50:37

by Stephen Rothwell

Hi Geert,

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 08:42:48 +0100 (CET) Geert Uytterhoeven <[email protected]> wrote:

> Apart from the patches you receive against -next, is there any other
> advantage, giving staging is disabled?

Others compile linux-next with all sorts of configs, so we hopefully will
see any build failures. In fact, Greg might even built it with staging
enabled :-)

We will also see any merge conflicts (though there probably won't be
many).

I may also see if I can arrange for a build in each architecture with
staging enabled in my infrastructure here, but it may take a little while.
Stephen Rothwell [email protected]
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/

Attachments:
(No filename) (700.00 B)
(No filename) (197.00 B)

by Geert Uytterhoeven

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 08:42:48 +0100 (CET) Geert Uytterhoeven <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Apart from the patches you receive against -next, is there any other
> > advantage, giving staging is disabled?
>
> Others compile linux-next with all sorts of configs, so we hopefully will
> see any build failures. In fact, Greg might even built it with staging
> enabled :-)
>
> We will also see any merge conflicts (though there probably won't be
> many).
>
> I may also see if I can arrange for a build in each architecture with
> staging enabled in my infrastructure here, but it may take a little while.

I build them for m68k anyway, but due to timezone differences, you usually find
(and sometimes even fix ;-) the problems long before I notice them.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [email protected]

-- Linus Torvalds

2008-11-14 17:44:36

by Greg KH

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 08:42:48AM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Nov 2008, Greg KH wrote:
> > I'm starting to get people sending me patches against -next for the
> > drivers/staging/ tree that don't apply as -next does not include my
> > quilt tree of staging patches.
> >
> > Can you please pick it up? You can put it at the end of your series,
> > and the 'make allmodconfig' option disables building anything in the
> > drivers/staging/ subdirectory, so it should not have any build or merge
> > conflicts with anything.
>
> Apart from the patches you receive against -next, is there any other
> advantage, giving staging is disabled?

That is a huge advantage, don't discount it. My staging tree has over
150 patches in it right now, and is quite diverged from what is in
Linus's tree. I have been getting the same patches sent over and over
to fix the same thing that is already resolved in my tree, as the
developers are working against -next thinking that they were working
with the latest development tree.

This will save a lot of redundant developer time, a good thing.

It also lets me test -next with -staging in it so I can anticipate the
merge issues that will be happening in the next big merge (v4l is going
to have issues that I've noticed already.)

thanks,

greg k-h

2008-11-14 22:28:29

by J.R. Mauro

There also seem to be a lot of build errors that no one hacking on
staging has seen before being threshed out by all the randconfig tests
done on -next, which will help a lot if we want the staging drivers to
actually go anywhere.

~J.R.

2008-11-14 23:15:26

by Greg KH

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 05:28:17PM -0500, J.R. Mauro wrote:
> There also seem to be a lot of build errors that no one hacking on
> staging has seen before being threshed out by all the randconfig tests
> done on -next, which will help a lot if we want the staging drivers to
> actually go anywhere.

In looking at these in some detail, the majority of them are due to api
changes in other trees, so these changes will have to be done during the
-rc1 merge window, which shouldn't be that big of an issue.

But yes, there are some kconfig dependancies as well, Randy is really
good at finding them :) If you want to send me patches to fix these,
I'd appreciate it.

thanks,

greg k-h

2008-11-14 23:43:27

by J.R. Mauro

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 6:06 PM, Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 05:28:17PM -0500, J.R. Mauro wrote:
>> There also seem to be a lot of build errors that no one hacking on
>> staging has seen before being threshed out by all the randconfig tests
>> done on -next, which will help a lot if we want the staging drivers to
>> actually go anywhere.
>
> In looking at these in some detail, the majority of them are due to api
> changes in other trees, so these changes will have to be done during the
> -rc1 merge window, which shouldn't be that big of an issue.

That's what I'm noticing, but the sooner we know about the issues on
the horizon, the better.

> But yes, there are some kconfig dependancies as well, Randy is really
> good at finding them :) If you want to send me patches to fix these,
> I'd appreciate it.

Yep, I'm working on it :)

> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

2008-11-18 18:37:17

by Stefan Richter

Greg KH wrote on November 14:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 08:42:48AM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>> Apart from the patches you receive against -next, is there any other
>> advantage, giving staging is disabled?
>
> That is a huge advantage, don't discount it. My staging tree has over
> 150 patches in it right now, and is quite diverged from what is in
> Linus's tree. I have been getting the same patches sent over and over
> to fix the same thing that is already resolved in my tree, as the
> developers are working against -next thinking that they were working
> with the latest development tree.

These people are missing that -next is not a development tree.
(Unless final integration tests count still as development.)
--
Stefan Richter