2006-02-19 19:47:09

by Jim MacBaine

Subject: [BUG] 2.6.15 cannot submit datapipe for urb 0, err = -38

Hello,

Today I have found a behaviour in the kernel, which I would describe
as a bug. I was trying to use Gnomemeeting over a OpenVPN tunnel using
a tap device. Just after I accepted a call, gnomemeeting froze and the
kernel started to log following message the syslog in immense
quantities:

cannot submit ubmit datapipe for urb 0, err = -38
cannot submit datapipe for urb 0, err = -38

The Gnomemeeting process was unkillable and marked as <defunct>; a
"ps" needed >30 seconds to complete. The ps was obvioulsly not slowed
down by the general system load, as other open processes ran with
normal speed.

The system is my desktop machine, an Athlon64, 1GB RAM, x86_64 kernel,
i386 userland, vanilla 2.6.15.4+swap-prefetch-25, gcc-4.0.2. Kernel
configuration is attached. At the time of the error, gnomemeeting
probably tried to access a Logitech USB headset and a noname bt848
video card.

I have used Gnomemeeting regularly, a few times a week, in exactly the
same configuration many times. Even with exactly the same kernel.
Unfortunately I can not reproduce the error, but maybe the report is
useful anyway.

Regards,
Jim

Attachments: