2007-06-11 23:52:55

by H. Peter Anvin

Subject: Can we get rid of zImage this time?

I brought this up a few years ago, and had it shot down, because of a
few poorly substantiated claims of zImage-only machines; those claims
really need to be debugged since they might indicate A20-related failures.

Anyway...

Can we please kill zImage? In addition to be completely useless for
modern kernels, it causes unnecessary complexity in boot loaders.

-hpa

2007-06-12 02:20:29

by Bruce Ashfield

Subject: Re: Can we get rid of zImage this time?

On 6/11/07, H. Peter Anvin <[email protected]> wrote:
> I brought this up a few years ago, and had it shot down, because of a
> few poorly substantiated claims of zImage-only machines; those claims
> really need to be debugged since they might indicate A20-related failures.

These beasts are still alive and kicking. I boot a handful of
arm and ppc boards on a frequent basis that are zImage
only. The kicker is I don't have the bootloader source for
most of them, so changing to a different image format is
tough at best.

Not a vote one way or the other, just some observations
from my day to day.

Bruce

> Anyway...
>
> Can we please kill zImage? In addition to be completely useless for
> modern kernels, it causes unnecessary complexity in boot loaders.
>
> -hpa
> -

thee at its end"

2007-06-12 06:14:26

by H. Peter Anvin

Bruce Ashfield wrote:

> These beasts are still alive and kicking. I boot a handful of
> arm and ppc boards on a frequent basis that are zImage
> only. The kicker is I don't have the bootloader source for
> most of them, so changing to a different image format is
> tough at best.

Sorry, the zImage/bzImage distinction is x86 only. Some other
architectures call their output zImage, but it's a different format
entirely.

So I was referring specifically to x86.

-hpa

2007-06-12 12:57:45

by Bruce Ashfield

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Bruce Ashfield wrote:
>> These beasts are still alive and kicking. I boot a handful of
>> arm and ppc boards on a frequent basis that are zImage
>> only. The kicker is I don't have the bootloader source for
>> most of them, so changing to a different image format is
>> tough at best.
>>

> Sorry, the zImage/bzImage distinction is x86 only. Some other
> architectures call their output zImage, but it's a different format
> entirely.
>
> So I was referring specifically to x86.

Ah my mistake, I quickly scanned and didn't pick
up the x86 reference. Nothing to see here :)

Bruce

> -hpa

2007-06-12 21:59:36

by Krzysztof Halasa

"H. Peter Anvin" <[email protected]> writes:

> Can we please kill zImage? In addition to be completely useless for
> modern kernels, it causes unnecessary complexity in boot loaders.

I hope so.

BTW: I'd just kill old zImage and make it identical to bzImage
(I mean "make zImage" would now produce arch/i386/zImage identical
to arch/i386/bzImage made by "make bzImage").

Then we could use zImage as for other platforms.
--
Krzysztof Halasa